ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Chain wax -vs- Chain lube (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16481)

dpl096 04-28-2016 02:08 PM

Chain wax -vs- Chain lube

Anxious to hear everyone's input as to which they feel is better or should both be used together ? :shrug:

AdventureDad 04-28-2016 03:00 PM

I use wax. Seems to hold better. You will get every response you can imagine. Some use one, some the other, some use none. I use the wax. I only clean my chain every few thousand miles. I use mineral spirits,use wd40 to displace the water, wipe it off, let it dry. then wax. The wax seems to hold better on a warm, freshly ridden chain, so I do it after I ride, or every couple hundred miles, or after a ride in the rain. I use Belray wax.

I tried Lucas chain lube, and that stuff flung EVERYWHERE. I would not consider using it again. My back wheel was black. I want the product to stay where it's going to do some good.

Mudflap 04-28-2016 03:03 PM

Wax is my favorite (paraffin) on non Oring chains. Remove chain, clean, immerse in melted wax for a few minutes, remove, cool, install. Very clean as well as effective. I use spray chain wax for a quick touch up.

Weldangrind 04-28-2016 03:08 PM

I like Maxima Chain Wax, and one of the reasons is that it doesn't end up on the back of my jacket.

Eco Mouse 04-28-2016 03:26 PM

Spray Wax is the way to go.

keithmaine 04-28-2016 03:37 PM

spray wax

Juanro 04-28-2016 04:27 PM

Whatever is Valvoline White Synthetic. Clean with WD40, spray on. Holds fine and no dirt magnet.
Of course this topic is almost as controversial as the dreaded "wich oil", but it's always good to gather statistic group knownledge... and then do whatever suits you, anyway haha

SpudRider 04-28-2016 05:00 PM

If you are riding off road in dusty conditions, definitely use wax rather than oil. If you ride exclusively on pavement, some people actually install a chain oiler. ;)

I only use X-ring (O-ring) drive chains on my motorcycle, since they are self lubricated. Whenever I wash my bike, I remove the water and clean the O-rings with WD-40. If the chain is dry, I also clean the O-rings with WD-40. Then I apply a small amount of 90W gear oil to the bushings and rollers of the drive chain.

You don't need to lubricate the O-rings; you only need to keep the O-rings clean, and supple. However, you should always lubricate the rollers and bushings of any drive chain. :)

detours 04-28-2016 06:53 PM

I spray Maxima chain wax on my chain every 300-500 miles. Over time, the original oil/packing grease gradually goes away and I'm left with a clean chain that doesn't attract dirt.

I started using spray-on chain wax on my mountain bike years ago. Dirt and dust just accelerate wear, and the last thing you want is to attract it with a wet lube. Anyway, works for me in Denver's dry climate.

ughmas 04-28-2016 07:56 PM

I use maxima chain wax normally, however just started using a tube of the new Motul Chain Paste, pretty good results so far, although it does fling a little bit.

Azhule 04-28-2016 08:46 PM

Being in a Dusty/Dirty environment, I use Finish or Maxima Chain Wax, I order whatever one is less expensive at the time I need more ;)

bogieboy 04-29-2016 05:44 AM

i use this... was turned on to it by fellow road bicycling friends, and it works wonderfully for motorcycles too... its a penetrating paraffin wax...and you can use it on damn near anything that is supposed to be able to move...LOL

http://boeshield.com/bike/

2LZ 04-29-2016 10:54 AM

I use this. Works great, doesn't fling, affordable....and delivered to Volcano for free! Saves me a bunch in gas right there......

http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Chain-S...ilpage_o00_s00

willy dog 09-10-2016 07:34 AM

has anyone had to replace rear sprocket yet on there Zong i have 3500 miles starting to wear the links on chain, sprocket looks fine was going to just replace chain but some people say replace both at same time remember i am a newb just thought if chain is sub standard would wear before sprocket?

pyoungbl 09-10-2016 11:18 AM

Willy Dog, the chain and both sprockets act as a system and that's how you should treat them. A worn chain will have more distance from pin to pin so instead of putting even pressure on all the sprocket teeth you get a situation where all the force is being carried by fewer and fewer teeth. It might not look like the teeth are wearing but they are. If you just replace the chain because the sprockets look so good you are actually shortening the life of the new chain. As Joe noted in his book, 5K @ 8K, the OEM chains only lasted about 5K miles before they were totally shot. The sprockets were not much better. CSC sells an upgraded chain at a good price (less than $150 for X-Ring chain and both sprockets) and I'd expect to get at least 10K out of that setup....maybe double that if you really take good care of it. My last Ducati went 20K miles on one set of chain and sprockets but I was also using an automatic oiler.