ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Other Brands (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Royal Enfield Diesel (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14171)

oldgringo 10-23-2014 02:27 PM

Royal Enfield Diesel

2 Attachment(s)
I'm back in Oregon for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I went down to Salem and bought a 2008 C5 Military Royal Enfield, there is no engine but everything else is there including shop manuals. The Enfield looks new and there is only 2180 miles on the odometer, $999 seems to be a bargain.
The CL ad is still up today http://salem.craigslist.org/mcd/4714353510.html
This is another one of my dream bikes, I've always wanted a diesel motorcycle and have located a 456cc Yanmar diesel clone (Chinese of course), I'm gathering the parts now and will build this moto in the spring when I return from Ecuador. The build looks fairly easy, I may have to extend the frame and will build a cradle for the engine, to simplify things, I think I'm going to go with a CVT/jackshaft, I'll post photos when the project starts,

SpudRider 10-23-2014 08:40 PM

Congratulations. :tup: Except for the missing engine, that bike appears to be in mint condition. You have a nice, clean slate with which to work. :)

cheesy 10-23-2014 09:25 PM

I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Weldangrind 10-24-2014 12:21 AM

Awesome! Love the panniers.

I recommend that you contact SamM, since he's done most of the research on this topic.

oldgringo 11-11-2015 07:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some more photos of the Royal Enfield diesel project. I thought I'd have it finished by now but I was in Peru most of the summer and I have two vintage Honda restorations going on. That said, I'll have them all on the road in '16!

FastDoc 11-11-2015 07:36 PM

That clearly fits into the "too cool" category. No other way to phrase it. How many horsepower is it? It appears to be using a torque converter. Is that a new motorcycle? If so, where is the original engine? It appears that you had to do some substantial frame modifications. I know that there is such a thing as a factory produced diesel Royal Enfield.. Is this the same?

FastDoc 11-11-2015 07:37 PM

I hope it also has an electric start. Typical diesel compression ratios, in the low to mid 20s, I would imagine that would be pretty damn difficult to pull.

Bruce's 11-11-2015 07:48 PM

The little circular thing at about 9 o'clock on the Diesel engine will help his arm a lot doc .

SpudRider 11-11-2015 07:49 PM

Thanks for posting the update on this fascinating project, OG. :tup: You did a very nice job fabricating the engine cradel. :)

Weldangrind 11-11-2015 10:21 PM

Nice work! Is that a Comet TAV?

oldgringo 11-12-2015 02:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The engine is 13 hp with direct injection. I bought the Royal Enfield without the engine & transmission, it only had 2200 miles on it. The frame is our own design, we built a mock up with the engine & clutch then took it into a Bend fabrication shop, the fabricator, Rick, had built 3800 frames for BMC Choppers and had a lot of great ideas, he was able to stuff the engine in without stretching the frame, a big surprise, I didn't think it could be done. However, we had to modify the gas (diesel) tank to clear the engine. It does have an electric start and also has a compression release, it's easy to start with the pull rope. I'll try to eliminate the rope starter if the electric starter is reliable. That's a Comet 44 torque converter.
I'm heading back south in a couple of weeks and my priority is to get my 65 305 Superhawk on the road before I leave, I'll finish the diesel in the spring.
The photo is of my other Honda's.

FastDoc 11-12-2015 12:29 PM

Sweet collection and great picture!

Sorry I asked those questions without reading your earlier post in this thread, I was redundant ;-)

So the 70 MPG of a 500cc gas Bullet wasn't enough, you need 100? LOL!

Or the ability to go through a McDonalds drive through (as a doctor I can't recommend that ;-) and fill up your bike too? LOL!

Weldangrind 11-12-2015 08:57 PM

That's an impressive toy box! I'm looking forward to the next diesel installment.

katoranger 11-12-2015 10:18 PM

I have quit McDonald's and Burger King. Chinese WVO is better.

Weldangrind 11-13-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katoranger (Post 197554)
I have quit McDonald's and Burger King. Chinese WVO is better.

:hehe:

Your bike would smell like deep fried chicken balls instead of french fries.