ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic/General Discussion (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Any hobby R/C GEEKS in here? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=23244)

bogieboy 03-26-2019 09:42 PM

Any hobby R/C GEEKS in here?

2 Attachment(s)
I have been an rc geek since i got my MRC buggy at 9 yrs old...went from that to an hpi RS4 rally, then an rs4 pro that i carpet raced, a duratrax evader, losi mini t.... abd the more recents my boats....LOL and a car i got on a whim witg my current project... an HPI nitro rs4...just got done putting brembos on the nitro... LOL and also squared away a home brew exhaust for the 46" 4 stroke weed eater powered boat i am working on...

JerryHawk250 03-27-2019 08:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
:hi: right here. lol I started out building planes out of balsa wood with a cox .049 engines and guidelines at the age of 9 or 10. I still have a few of the engines sitting in a box. I have my first rc plane and well. I've sold off some of the RC cars, boats and trucks. Right now all I have are the one Rc plane waiting for me to reskin, one Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3, a couple of electric RC cars and lots of parts and engines.

bogieboy 03-27-2019 09:25 AM

any tips on cold starting nitros Jerry? i am still new to em....LOL i went thru the breakin (4 tanks of heat cycle, then a few not exceeding half throttle, then 3/4 etc...burned almost a quart of fuel before it saw full throttle) on a new redcat SH .18 engine in the Nitro rs4, but it seems to give me fits starting cold... i prime it til fuel reaches the carb, 2 more primer pumps like the manual states, and try starting. it either floods the cylinder, or is still bone dry and i am sitting there pulling like a maniac trying to start it... once started, runs great, idles great, head temps around 250*F. im a small engine mechanic, but cant seem tho quite figure this one out....LOL all fuel line is fresh Tygon as well.

JerryHawk250 03-27-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 304097)
any tips on cold starting nitros Jerry? i am still new to em....LOL i went thru the breakin (4 tanks of heat cycle, then a few not exceeding half throttle, then 3/4 etc...burned almost a quart of fuel before it saw full throttle) on a new redcat SH .18 engine in the Nitro rs4, but it seems to give me fits starting cold... i prime it til fuel reaches the carb, 2 more primer pumps like the manual states, and try starting. it either floods the cylinder, or is still bone dry and i am sitting there pulling like a maniac trying to start it... once started, runs great, idles great, head temps around 250*F. im a small engine mechanic, but cant seem tho quite figure this one out....LOL all fuel line is fresh Tygon as well.

It seems like any temps below 50 they are hard to starts. I've used a heat gun a few times to warm the head up which makes it much easier to start.

All my RC cars and Trucks had electric starts.

bogieboy 03-27-2019 09:42 AM

Ahhh that could be..... its still cold in NY....LOL these are the things i dont know....LOL i am very close to converting to an estarter on this on just for the hell of it....

JerryHawk250 03-27-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 304101)
Ahhh that could be..... its still cold in NY....LOL these are the things i dont know....LOL i am very close to converting to an estarter on this on just for the hell of it....

The estarter does make it much easier to start. I've pulled on too many to go back to a pull start.

JerryHawk250 03-27-2019 09:55 AM

My favorite RC right now is my Hubsan 501s Quadcopter. It's more relaxing to just fly around and not be stressed out and worried about crashing and breaking it up.
Racing the Nitro cars and trucks can get expensive. I've broken up swing arms and twisted up axles from racing. Those little Nitro engines can put out some serious torque. The splines on the axles will look like a spirals on a screw after a few races.

bogieboy 03-27-2019 10:52 AM

racing the electrics gets equally expensive.... $60+a battery pack, and just as fragile arms, and just as fast...LOL not to mention racing stadium trucks... longer, equally fragile arms....and jumps....LOL then add in a hot brushless system like i did, and run 3s lipos (11.1v) and it goes fast and breaks faster...LOL

JerryHawk250 03-27-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 304117)
racing the electrics gets equally expensive.... $60+a battery pack, and just as fragile arms, and just as fast...LOL not to mention racing stadium trucks... longer, equally fragile arms....and jumps....LOL then add in a hot brushless system like i did, and run 3s lipos (11.1v) and it goes fast and breaks faster...LOL

The Jato 3.3 was clocked with radar @ 64mph. It could possibly go faster but was geared low for the track. It got T-bone once and broke all 4 wheels with swing arms off. The car that hit it only lost the front wheels.

bogieboy 03-27-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 304121)
The Jato 3.3 was clocked with radar @ 64mph. It got T-bone once and broke all 4 wheels with swing arms off. The car that hit it only lost the front wheels.

i have to put my evader back together and stick my bike GPS in it.... that thing could certainly keep up with the traffic in front of the shop, and that road was a 55mph zone... i would be curious to see what my mini t could do on 3s... was fast enough on 9.6v packs to break every part in the dang thing....LOL would need some better aero though, its twitchy as heck... but... thats what happens with a 8100kv brushless.....LOL :hehe:

JerryHawk250 03-27-2019 11:28 AM

What fuel are you running?20%? The local hobby shop had there own 20% fuel made somewhere. That stuff worked the best. No name, just 20% written on the 1 gallon jug with a marker for about half the cost of the name brand. lol The Traxxas 20% Top Fuel work good but not as well as the no named stuff.

bogieboy 03-27-2019 12:59 PM

i have been running Byron 20% with 12% oil IIRC, its all the local shop has... either that or 30%

cheesy 03-27-2019 01:25 PM

Not this kid. I am at the age where I don’t need to get hooked on another hobby, cuz given the chance, I will. I’ll just choose to live vicariously through you guys.

BTW, ever run a Cox .049 in a bedroom? Ehh, what? Can’t hear you.

JerryHawk250 03-27-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 304132)
Not this kid. I am at the age where I don’t need to get hooked on another hobby, cuz given the chance, I will. I’ll just choose to live vicariously through you guys.

BTW, ever run a Cox .049 in a bedroom? Ehh, what? Can’t hear you.

Ah yes :hehe: Mom wasn't too happy lol

Bruces 03-27-2019 05:19 PM

I got a question for you guys ,my buddy and I were wondering if we can use a radio to control an electric trolling motor on an aluminum boat at my camp ,it needs to travel approximately 250 feet dock to dock hauling materials .We figured one of us could load the boat ,while the other could unload it on the other side .We do have a trolling motor with an electric steering system although we no longer have the actual foot pedal .We have lots of 12 volt power if needed .