ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic/General Discussion (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Post Retirement Gig (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=33762)

cheesy 01-30-2024 04:14 PM

Post Retirement Gig

DuKane ABATE said, "Get yer arse in here." So, I will be working at my first Drivers Ed course tomorrow. To start, I'll be shadowing the two current instructors and then going solo after a couple of months while getting the ABATE program into some of the rural high schools west of me.

In a nutshell, the program is 'Don't hit the person on the motorcycle.' The guys also want me to talk about my car/bike accident and how the relatively 'minor' injuries took almost 10 years to fully heal. Basically, scare the shit out of the kids.

I'll let you know how it went.

JerryHawk250 01-30-2024 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 404047)
DuKane ABATE said, "Get yer arse in here." So, I will be working at my first Drivers Ed course tomorrow. To start, I'll be shadowing the two current instructors and then going solo after a couple of months while getting the ABATE program into some of the rural high schools west of me.

In a nutshell, the program is 'Don't hit the person on the motorcycle.' The guys also want me to talk about my car/bike accident and how the relatively 'minor' injuries took almost 10 years to fully heal. Basically, scare the shit out of the kids.

Awesome! :tup: Scare the living crap out of those little buggies. The minute one touches a phone. Sling it out the window. :lmao:

Bruces 01-30-2024 04:55 PM

If you want to scare the kids ,throw in some gems from your former job !

2LZ 01-31-2024 01:12 PM

Good on you, cheesy. I had an entirely different attitude when I retired. At first I thought, "I'll get a part time gig at our local, small town hardware store." The owners love the retired guys to work part time and they'll keep your hours under effecting your Soc Sec.

Then it hit me... I spent my entire life fixing everyone else's sh$t! It's time to fix my own sh$t for a change!!! Between fixing my own sh$t, the property, and Mrs. 2LZ, I have no time for anything else.

cheesy 01-31-2024 04:49 PM

Today went pretty well. My part was mostly to observe, with a bit of input. I did explain my accident and I must have done a pretty good job of it because you could hear a pin drop when I was finished. Two more classes next week.

2LZ-The more I thought about the PT gig at NAPA, the less I liked it. We're both retired and if we want to hook up the trailer and take off for a few days, I don't want to have to ask the 30 year old manager for permission, then have to tell him to get bent.

The ABATE gig is all voluntary.

2LZ 01-31-2024 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 404073)
Today went pretty well. My part was mostly to observe, with a bit of input. I did explain my accident and I must have done a pretty good job of it because you could hear a pin drop when I was finished. Two more classes next week.

2LZ-The more I thought about the PT gig at NAPA, the less I liked it. We're both retired and if we want to hook up the trailer and take off for a few days, I don't want to have to ask the 30 year old manager for permission, then have to tell him to get bent.

The ABATE gig is all voluntary.

I predict a sentence will come out of your mouth within the year. "How did I ever find the time for a full-time job!?" LOL!

cheesy 01-31-2024 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 404076)
I predict a sentence will come out of your mouth within the year. "How did I ever find the time for a full-time job!?" LOL!

Both my parents said that they wondered when they ever had time to work after they retired.

2LZ 02-01-2024 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 404078)
Both my parents said that they wondered when they ever had time to work after they retired.

Yep. My other saying.... "Retirement. You still get up and go to work every day. You just don't get paid anymore."

AJ22_ChinaRider 03-05-2024 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 404047)

Lol why does Charis Farley spring into my mind? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8

Make it a combination of Matt Foley + Scared Straight ;)