ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic/General Discussion (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Riding Gear Revisited (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=4748)

katoranger 02-03-2009 10:56 AM

I wear a full face helmet, armoured jacket, gloves, and boots. I don't have pants. (Yet) At least wear long pants and shoes. Shorts and flipflops don't belong on a bike. Put them on after you get there.

I used to ride with none of that. That was when I was stupid. I have upgraded helmets and jackets over time and now have some nicer ones.

Jim 02-03-2009 11:08 AM

I was going to get a new full face at the motorcycle show, they had some decent ones on for about $80 canadian, m2r, kbc, and some others... The guy said the m2r was better, but it sure didn't seem like it... I would have bought one of the kbc ones, except they crowded me in there and I couldn't get out for about 5 minutes, and then I just wanted to leave... Plus I'm broke and have a new ZoX full face which seems pretty good.

kmoore 02-03-2009 01:08 PM

full lace helmets are ok ive got a fullmer (i think) full face but when closterfobia sets it i want to chuck it so i chose a half lid nice comfy over an inch of support all the way around.....

made by outlaw here is a link to the exact same one i purchased
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GLOSS...Q5fMerchandise

**edit to add**

plus im on a cruiser and full face just dont look right

Alaskan-Dad 02-03-2009 01:17 PM

I just wanted to add a warning here about riding in the rain even in the summer can be very dangerous. The only time I have had severe hypothermia was summer riding and I got caught in a rain storm. About a 45 mile ride on I-5 in a down pour. I literally fell off my bike when I got it parked. I got some cup a soup and took a hot bath, I was so cold the water went cold in about 5 min. I had to add hot water 2 or 3 times before I got core temp back up!

Be safe!

kmoore 02-03-2009 01:21 PM

i will second that motion i hate getting cought in the rain... 45 miles even in a drizzle at 62 degrees. shook uncontrolably for 2 hours. then i finally changed to some dry socks and was fine...

IronFist 02-03-2009 01:42 PM

Coming home from Quebec on the chinabike I got hit with rain all the way. Pre electric vest. 12 hours of drizzle, to down pour, to hail. I slowed to 55 and stopped in every little town along the way. About 500 miles. What a marathon. I rode the bike but I made it by sheer will alone. Then, in Toronto, an old man in a brand new caddy almost ran me over.

We yelled at each other till he pulled over, I parked behind and shut the bike off. He backed up and knocked my bike over.

Heck of a thing after a long cold day of riding. I got the bike started and went after him to get his licence plate #. It all worked out, I won't say how. :wink:

Jim 02-03-2009 01:44 PM

It's not bad if you can stay dry... I had some rain gear but it wasn't great, but good rain gear is a good idea too.

Mike, you have to say how now after a story like that...

IronFist 02-03-2009 01:50 PM

I was a bad boy and can't recomend my actions. I will pm those who want to hear the end of the story. 8)

Jim 02-03-2009 02:03 PM

Alright, put me on the list :wink:

Back to the subject of gear...

I have some half helmets I wear while on my cruiser too, but I don't expect a lot of help from them if I go down... If I am on my Lifan, or when I had my cbr, I always wear the full face, and I wear it on the cruiser some of the time.

frostbite 02-03-2009 02:33 PM

I always wear DOT approved MX helmet, goggles, armored mesh jacket, and full gloves. I'll be picking up a pair of ATV boots this month (pegs = ouchy). I still wear jeans mostly but my riding is typically low speed stuff to/from work and off-road single/double track.

A guy in the local DS club has a good motto, "protect yourself first, bike second'.

katoranger 02-03-2009 03:23 PM

I don't like the MX helmet for on road, but that is my preference. I suppose it I was travelling under 40mph all the time it wouldn't so bad. I like the wind protection.

Most of my riding is 45-55mph. I do plan to invest into a mesh jacket this spring.

knothead 02-03-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostbite
I always wear DOT approved MX helmet, goggles, armored mesh jacket, and full gloves. I'll be picking up a pair of ATV boots this month (pegs = ouchy). I still wear jeans mostly but my riding is typically low speed stuff to/from work and off-road single/double track.

A guy in the local DS club has a good motto, "protect yourself first, bike second'.

Which boots are you looking at? I've been leaning towards the Moose M-1 ATV boots. A buddy of mine has a pair and he likes them, plus the price looks good to me @ $99.

As for pants... did you follow the link to ADVrider I posted above? Dude's wife went down at less tan 10 mph and ripped her knee wide open, the knee cap was actually exposed.

VinceDrake 02-04-2009 06:52 PM

Just to expand the thread a little farther still, What does everyone consider the most critical piece of gear to have, not counting a brain container? Myself I would say a jacket, and specifically, a good jacket. No World of Walton, or Sears Roebuck allowed. Third, Gloves. Again, gooders. Beyond that, I'm more than willing to Cheap out/Not have/Leave in closet.

Thinking back to when I first started riding, my first moto-horse cost me about $200, and I thought I was doing good with a 25+ year old Woolco Ping-Pong ball cut out Helmet, and a $25 Generico denim jacket, maybe some work gloves, if it was really, really cold out.

So! Here's the scenario-- You're 17, ou've just shot your summer's savings on a Bike, and have a 15 year old Belstaff helmet, your grandfather left in the attic. You've got $100 free on your next paycheck. What are you buying? Other than beer and smokes of course...

--Vince who did read the thread about the poor lady's knees. :D

Jim 02-04-2009 07:19 PM

I'd say #1 a good full face helmet, #2 a good jacket, #3 gloves, #4 boots, #5 pants... Though I think if you go down you'd be happy to have it all. This is just my thoughts though...

kmoore 02-04-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceDrake
So! Here's the scenario-- You're 17, ou've just shot your summer's savings on a Bike, and have a 15 year old Belstaff helmet, your grandfather left in the attic. You've got $100 free on your next paycheck. What are you buying?

average 17 year old- got to spend at least $75 of that on go fast stickers and fake mohawks for their helmets(no seriously not pokin fun at the op of the other thread seriously im not i promise) and things the chicks dig.

smart 17 year old- got to get a better brain bucket and honestly most 17 year olds have done suckered momma and dadda out of a nice leather jacket so then move onto other gear..

me 17 years old- chrome lots of chrome cant have too much shiny beautiful chrome....