ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic/General Discussion (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Stupid self checkout lanes (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=32116)

Emerikol 01-11-2023 11:13 AM

Stupid self checkout lanes

Today's rant: Self checkout lanes that are popping up everywhere... Dropped the mutant off at school this morning, and had to get some grocery shopping done. The kiddo gets to school for 7:00, and I left right from the drop-off lane and went to Kroger, about a 5 minute drive. Really close. get to Kroger, do all my grocery shopping, get up front, and there are no checkout registers open! At least, not any lanes with an actual PERSON to do the checking out. Nope, that early, in Kroger's infinite wisdom, they decided it made more sense to only have the stupid self-checkout lanes open. If I only had one or two things, I don't think I would mind so much. But I have an entire weeks worth of groceries, plus a couple bottles of wine! That means that when I scan the bottle of wine, the lane shuts down until someone comes over to make sure I'm old enough to be purchasing wine... (I'm 21 with 22 years of experience) Now, I'm nearly through scanning my items, and there's a belt there on the side that moves everything you've had to scan yourself off to end of the little island so you can conveniently bag it. The problem is that it never shuts off. Which means everything I've scanned is now a jumbled up pile at the end of the self checkout lane. Good thing I didn't get any eggs or bread! There are countless industry studies that show these self checkout lanes are universally hated by consumers! So why do companies continue to install them? Simple; it's because one person can oversee multiple lanes of people checking themselves out. I don't go to a store, to spend my money, to do an employee's job. If they offered some sort of discount, I could see some very small modicum of value in self checkout. But there's no discount, no benefit to me as the consumer, nothing. Just the knowledge that a company is perfectly willing to trade my enjoyment and loyalty shopping there for what ultimately winds up to be a miniscule change to the profit margins... The rant is over, but the frustration remains...

bogieboy 01-11-2023 11:18 AM

Its even simpler than that... stores cant find enough bodies to fill positions.... not that its easier for 1 person to oversee 4-6 registers instead of one, they dont have the manpower because the current generation has been groomed (by whatever you see fit to insert here) to be lazy ignorant entitled @^!*#*$%@s......

Emerikol 01-11-2023 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 389203)
Its even simpler than that... stores cant find enough bodies to fill positions.... not that its easier for 1 person to oversee 4-6 registers instead of one, they dont have the manpower because the current generation has been groomed (by whatever you see fit to insert here) to be lazy ignorant entitled @^!*#*$%@s......

Also a valid point...

Sport Rider 01-11-2023 12:15 PM

I would have left the cart at the front and walked out. One or two things is fine, but a week's worth? not a chance.

Emerikol 01-11-2023 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport Rider (Post 389205)
I would have left the cart at the front and walked out. One or two things is fine, but a week's worth? not a chance.

I really wish I could have, but we really needed the groceries (and after this morning, the wine, too!), so I was kind of stuck...

cheesy 01-11-2023 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport Rider (Post 389205)

I have done that.

Boatguy 01-11-2023 06:18 PM

Interesting rant. I guess I’m in the minority.

I much prefer to go through self check out. It’s way faster than waiting in line. If you know how to scan quick.

What I can’t stand is standing behind several people watching some lazy check out person slowly go through the groceries. And then the person wants to do coupons. Or forget something in an aisle and you are standing there waiting forever. Or they have to get a price check. It’s so ridiculous.

With self check out, I’m in and out.

Thumper 01-11-2023 06:58 PM

in support of self checkout lanes

How many times have you watched in shock while the flunky high school dropout crushes your bread, or fails to recognize the simple fact that cold things should be in the same bag, grabs the bags of chips like they are made of rubber, stuffs cans of food on top of the eggs like they are rocks? More importantly, how often is the price DIFFERENT than what you saw on the shelf, and if you are dealing with a human, you have to stop them (if you notice it!). These are just a few examples of "human intervention" in procuring groceries.

And I always bring lots of bags (nice science city cloth bags from my son's LEGO days, and employer events). Some cashiers roll there eyes when someone that actually cares about the massive proliferation of plastic bags on the planet DARES to try to make a teeny weeny reversal of that problem. What, I can't double plastic bag your rice and beans!? And I can't stand the pressure to QUICKLY load the scrolling food ramp for them (I can see the foot thumping!!)

I LOVE the availability of the self checkout. I take my time, watch prices post, carefully bag the expensive food I am buying with all of the frozen stuff in one bag... PHEEWWW! I am in charge. I even get to see the weight of bananas, or number of avocados posting accurately. wow.

If there is a problem with a price being wrong, or I need approval for a bottle of bourbon, I am happy to let the official run their high authority card with mistake override, and make it happen. Now THAT is customer service :tup: I smile and thank them with pleasure, and casually stroll out of the supermarket, no rush.

I see people standing in line waiting for that wonderful experience of having other people abuse your food and slam them into a ridiculous number of plastic bags. I casually watch them while I methodically take care of it all myself with no pressure, and thoroughly in control.

TominMO 01-11-2023 07:36 PM

I do both. Seldom any line at self checkout, and I usually have like 15 items. Other times I stand in line and let them do the work.

2LZ 01-11-2023 08:05 PM

Couple items? I'll use them. Cart full? Not a chance.
Even with just a few items though, I'm not getting paid Union Scale to do their job like they are when theyre checking my groceries. That really frosts me while I'm checking out.

TominMO 01-11-2023 08:29 PM

My rule of thumb is to not get too upset about things that are not life-threatening.

Mudflap 01-12-2023 07:00 AM

I haven't been inside a grocery store in at least 2 years, instead I order online and either get groceries delivered or pick them up at the curb. Saves time, energy, and frustration.

wheelbender6 01-12-2023 08:33 AM

I normally use self checkout, but I don't buy a cart full of groceries.

65cabriolet 01-12-2023 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudflap (Post 389243)
I haven't been inside a grocery store in at least 2 years, instead I order online and either get groceries delivered or pick them up at the curb. Saves time, energy, and frustration.

While this does save lots of time in the checkout line, the local store here makes all kinds of weird substitutions... order zero sugar Italian sweet cream coffee creamer (my wife) and get full sugar hazelnut creamer or green peppers instead of avocados. Never get good produce and the bread is always squashed worse than the checkers do because its the first isle out of the back room where the pickers stay and the bread goes on the bottom of the basket.

Emerikol 01-12-2023 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 389220)
I casually watch them while I methodically take care of it all myself with no pressure, and thoroughly in control.

Thumper, if it works for you, I'm very happy to hear how pleased you are with the arrangement. My frustration stems from not having a choice in how I pay for my groceries. I'm not against self checkout by itself as an option for a store's customers. I'm 100% against not being given a choice at all. I don't use the kiosks at a fast food restaurant either (although to be fair, I haven't eaten fast food in over two years), I would much rather have a human interaction. I can be just as polite to the person working a nine-to-five checking out items as I can be to the person who is overseeing multiple aisles of self checkout.