ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Defective battery (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15481)

Inroads 11-10-2015 10:32 AM

Defective battery

So I was getting a solenoid click when attempting to start my bike like a dead battery.
I checked the voltage and it showed good at 13 volts but it failed the load test.
I have a defective battery/cell.Glad it happened in my driveway.

Adjuster 11-10-2015 11:13 AM

WalMart has a good selection of sealed batteries and there just as good as any other battery. Measure the size of your battery and head to WalMart.

/

keithmaine 11-10-2015 12:01 PM

Is it not still under warranty??

Danimal 11-10-2015 01:28 PM

CSC will ship a new battery to you so fast it'll spin your head off your shoulders

keithmaine 11-10-2015 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danimal (Post 197279)
CSC will ship a new battery to you so fast it's spin your head off your shoulders

:lmao:

SpudRider 11-10-2015 02:27 PM

Indeed, call CSC and they will replace your battery with their usual, excellent customer service and warranty coverage. :)

woodlandsprite 11-22-2015 09:54 AM

:( I suspect I might be having the same issue. So disappointed. My bike failed to start this morning even though it lives on a battery tender. Was all geared up and ready to go with no ride. I had put the key in, listened for the pump to prime but within a second of turning the key (and the lights coming on) the bike died. No lights, on the dash or otherwise.

I'm going to go back outside and see if I can measure what voltage the battery is reading. I wonder if I have a bad cell :(

woodlandsprite 11-22-2015 10:53 AM

And yep. I think that's it. Off the charger the battery claimed 13.1V. Turned ignition key on and it dropped down to 4V or something else ridiculously low. I guess I should be happy this happened at home. But still kinda mad this happened on the day I was supposed to be taking a confident rider course.

tortoise 11-22-2015 11:14 AM

One of those "try at your own risk" tricks that SOMETIMES gets a little more life out of AGM type batteries . . .

Remove battery and place on a level surface. While wearing eye protection, pry up the end of the top plastic strip with a small screwdriver, and pull up the rest with your fingers. Shine a flashlight down into the cells while dripping in just enough distilled water to cover the top of the plates using an eye dropper or hair tint applicator bottle.

http://i48.tinypic.com/vdg0o2.jpg

Jay In Milpitas 11-22-2015 11:43 AM

Good tip, Tortoise.

Sprite, sorry it happened to you, worse that it happened on the CRC day.

My original battery failed right out of the crate, notified CSC and a new, high quality replacement was overnighted!

If they haven't already done so, I think Zongshen might seek a new battery supplier. Fuses, inner tubes, and even filters are acceptable spares to pack along. A spare battery is not.

woodlandsprite 11-22-2015 11:50 AM

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5827/...a99ed5ab42.jpg

I'd say its failing the load test, wouldn't you?
*sigh*
Left side is after I had it off the tender, but after attempting to turn the key on a couple times.

Right side is what it's doing when the key is in the "on" position.
Another friend suggested I try to push start the bike...but I'm a bit apprehensive on this just because 1) I'm afraid I'd drop it... 2) if it doesn't work I have to push the bike back up the hill to my house 3) even if I mange to get the thing started, I'm not convinced it's going to remain happy for long if that's what the battery is doing...

Jay In Milpitas 11-22-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 198598)
I'd say its failing the load test, wouldn't you?
*sigh*
Left side is after I had it off the tender, but after attempting to turn the key on a couple times.

Right side is what it's doing when the key is in the "on" position.
Another friend suggested I try to push start the bike...but I'm a bit apprehensive on this just because 1) I'm afraid I'd drop it... 2) if it doesn't work I have to push the bike back up the hill to my house 3) even if I mange to get the thing started, I'm not convinced it's going to remain happy for long if that's what the battery is doing...

You're wise to play it safe, Sprite. I don't suppose there is a battery you can borrow from another bike temporarily? Even if it's too wide (thick) to put the side cover plastic on, it will allow you to run until a correct battery can be obtained. Zip ties and bungee cords are your friends.

woodlandsprite 11-22-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas (Post 198599)
You're wise to play it safe, Sprite. I don't suppose there is a battery you can borrow from another bike temporarily? Even if it's too wide (thick) to put the side cover plastic on, it will allow you to run until a correct battery can be obtained. Zip ties and bungee cords are your friends.

ha :) I could steal the one out of my husband's bike - definitely not the right size - but at this point I've missed my class already and i have to hope they take pity on me and don't make me forfeit my entire course fee to reschedule. I did call their emergency contact number this morning since no one was answering the office phone to inquire as to what I should do.

Also, given that the RX3 is fuel injected, and there isn't enough juice to get the pump to go, I'm guessing I wouldn't have been successful in push starting the bike in any case :P

Husband has mentioned his bike has on occasion been fussy about starting too - I wonder if I should check his battery as well *sigh*

Jay In Milpitas 11-22-2015 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 198602)
Also, given that the RX3 is fuel injected, and there isn't enough juice to get the pump to go, I'm guessing I wouldn't have been successful in push starting the bike in any case :P

Husband has mentioned his bike has on occasion been fussy about starting too - I wonder if I should check his battery as well *sigh*

Quite right! Between the power needed to run the pump and also that for the Mystic Box of Commands (Electronic Control Unit=ECU) it most likely would not have started.

As long as your mind is in the electron chasing mode, why not check out his battery and system. You don't say what type of bike or year he has. I suggest starting with checking the battery voltage, then check the connections for cleanliness.

jct842 11-22-2015 01:09 PM

Theres a big big difference in batteries. I never had any from walmart that lasted much more than a year. I have had the best luck with yuasa batteries. The one in my majesty scooter is probably at least 6 years old and it starts right up EFI and all. Most battery sellers on the net will have a battery to you in just a few days. Bought a yuasa on line for my riva and it was here in 2 days. It replaced a walmart battery that was just 13 mo old.