ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Other Brands (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   2001 KLR Possibility (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=32789)

Sport Rider 05-30-2023 04:06 PM

2001 KLR Possibility

3 Attachment(s)
Hope to make it mine tomorrow. ;)

JerryHawk250 05-30-2023 04:40 PM

Good luck! :tup:

Sport Rider 06-01-2023 08:57 AM

bought it. it followed me home. It'll be a project to get it to the condition I want, but it has good bones.

sprockets, chain, tires, tubes, bodywork, turn signals, starter solenoid, radiator, footpegs. going to add engine and rear guards to it. Nothing big to fix, just small stuff easy to replace.

gotta get a milk crate to strap on the back though. :D

2LZ 06-01-2023 12:49 PM

My brother just sold one of those last year. He really liked it, but he doesn't hang on to bikes for long.

Sport Rider 06-01-2023 02:04 PM

I'm already spending big bucks to refresh everything. :D

Still need sprockets, chain, tires, and clutch lever.

Lots of unusual electrical things going on, including the PO wiring up the turn signals without even taping up the wires. I also found the main fuse case was half melted and a fuse blown. there may be some hidden electrical gremlins lurking...

2LZ 06-01-2023 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport Rider (Post 395704)
I'm already spending big bucks to refresh everything. :D

Still need sprockets, chain, tires, and clutch lever.

Lots of unusual electrical things going on, including the PO wiring up the turn signals without even taping up the wires. I also found the main fuse case was half melted and a fuse blown. there may be some hidden electrical gremlins lurking...

You'll probably find a lot of that. Most ADV guys electronically set their bikes up to circumnavigate the Alps, via the Arctic Circle, even though they usually don't go further than the grocery store.....but those massive metal panniers look awesome!

herbie 06-02-2023 07:05 AM

Nice choice, I always liked the KLR its a workhorse of a bike. I sat on one in the dealership and was surprised at the enormous size of it.

Sport Rider 06-02-2023 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 395710)
You'll probably find a lot of that. Most ADV guys electronically set their bikes up to circumnavigate the Alps, via the Arctic Circle, even though they usually don't go further than the grocery store.....but those massive metal panniers look awesome!

as I'm researching more, what I'm finding is that everyone bypasses the kickstand and neutral safety switches on these bikes. One less item to go wrong when out in the mountains. Good, I guess, but need to be careful.

I'm not sure why the fuses would be burned up though....except for the fact that they tried the aluminum foil over the fuse trick. I'm concerned there's a short somewhere that I'm going to have to find.

Sport Rider 06-02-2023 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbie (Post 395738)
Nice choice, I always liked the KLR its a workhorse of a bike. I sat on one in the dealership and was surprised at the enormous size of it.

not enormous compared to my goldwing. :)

The newer ones seem to look a bit bigger. The tank seems to be the only thing "big".

nobade 06-02-2023 11:39 AM

I had a 2000 model. Definitely like them better than the later ones, much lighter. I sold mine with 50K miles on it and never had a bit of trouble with it. Enjoy!