ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Other Brands (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   2007 suzuki dr650se project (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=32368)

fishaholic 03-06-2023 10:36 PM

2007 suzuki dr650se project

Just purchased this bike from a friend, it got drowned in a water hole and has been stored in a shed for the last 8 years. I Changed the oil, filter and air filter which looked good and he said he flushed the water out, refilled with oil and cleaned the carb back then but it ran crappy when he started it. When I get a battery I will give her a go and see what happens. Also it had the water in it for a couple of hours before he could get it out and flush it.

XLsior 03-06-2023 11:55 PM

check the spark plug for corrosion, if its crusty there a pretty good chance the cylinder walls could be funky...

squirt a little engine oil/atf/penetrant down the spark plug hole...leave it for an hour or so to soak then kick/crank it with no spark plug to scrape the cylinder walls and rejuvenate the rings...

crank it a few more time to expell any excess oil out the spark plug hole before reinstalling the spark plug and continuing with fueling and spark/running servicing.

Skipping this step could cause cylinder damage and require a top end rebuild.

2LZ 03-07-2023 10:01 AM

NICE SCORE!!! Those are getting harder to find and actually was my first choice over the DRZ when I was shopping.
Please keep us posted! Pics????

fishaholic 03-07-2023 08:29 PM

Thank you so much for the info, I haven't pulled the plug yet but I think I will go ahead and do that penetrant soak just to be on the safe side. It might also free up the rings if they might be stuck.

fishaholic 03-07-2023 08:37 PM

I will take pics tomorrow, also it has a posted 18600 miles on it and I'm fairly certain they are true miles knowing my friend. So if the engine isn't trashed it should be good for thousands more.

fishaholic 03-12-2023 10:43 PM

dr650 project update

So as I expected its been one thing after the other on this bike however it is a project bike with no time limit and a (fun)learning experience. The first problem was the throttle was very tight and would stick when the wheel was turned either way. Some penetrating oil and a cable reroute fixed that problem. Next, the choke cable was froze solid. I took apart both ends and ran penetrating oil thru the cable and problem solved. Next, I went to pull the plugs and the inner plug was rusted in big time. After 2 days of working it back and forth along with PB blaster it finally came out. Also I took XLsior's advice and put oil in the cylinder(I used Marvel Mystery oil)and left it over night in case there is any kind of corrosion in there. After blowing it out(the starter does work but makes a noise) I put new plugs in and some gas(non-ethanol) and now the petcock and the carb. leaks. I ordered a carb. kit but haven't decided if I will rebuild the petcock or change to a non vacuum one like the Yamaha Rapter uses. And the Saga continues.LoL

Darkrider 03-13-2023 05:29 PM

Just wondering why didn't you post this update in your original thread?

fishaholic 03-14-2023 08:39 PM

Sorry I'm fairly new to computers and this is the 1st forum I've joined. I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or keep posting on the original one. I will eventually get it figured out. Thank you