ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Little Stones can make a Big difference. (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16926)

dave92029 06-22-2016 06:48 PM

Little Stones can make a Big difference.

1 Attachment(s)
Returning home with some friends from our Weds. breakfast Club meeting and my throttle would not respond to my handle bar throttle controls. I needed to turn the engine off to stop the engine from accelerating.

Could not see what was causing the problem so I got the mighty RX3 towed home. Called Gerry who requested some photos and suggested how to begin trouble shooting the bike.

When I went into the house to process the photos, I noticed a small stone stuck in the throttle body return spring. The stone was only visible when i was able to shine a light on it. Once i removed the stone the idle returned to normal.

i wanted to let the rest of you to know what to look for if something similar happens to you.

rjmorel 06-22-2016 07:34 PM

wow great pic and thanks for letting us know about this Dave. Bet you can't put a stone up there again for years to come :lmao: I was riding with a KLR rider once and his rear brake was dragging . A stone had lodged between R brake pedal and the return stop height adjustment thingy. it happens, rj

BlackBike 06-22-2016 08:07 PM

That's amazing. Glad it wasn't serious. They tell us that in the TX training course about this issue. Shut off and snap throttle multiple times. Did you try this?, otherwise how were you to know what was going on, I would probably thought it was a computer problem or something. You did a great job figuring this out, thanks for letting us all know too.:clap:

rtking 06-23-2016 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 222186)
That's amazing. Glad it wasn't serious. <snip> You did a great job figuring this out, thanks for letting us all know too.:clap:

Ditto from me. Thanks for letting us know!

FastDoc 06-23-2016 01:56 AM

Good call and quick thinking. Imagine getting killed by a 10 gram pebble!

Mudflap 06-23-2016 06:32 AM

I've seen a similar problem caused by mice stashing pieces of dry dog food.

DanKearney 06-23-2016 08:56 AM

Same thing happened to my Subaru a few years back. A gang of local squirrels had filled the engine bay of the car with pine cones and the throttle stuck open when I driving into work!

Glad you had no adverse effects.

Cheers,

Dan K.

2LZ 06-23-2016 10:27 AM

Man....what are the odds of that? You better buy a Powerball ticket. It may be your time!

dave92029 06-23-2016 11:23 AM

3 days before 1st anniversay

1 Attachment(s)
My riding buddy John Taylor, who also rides a white RX3, took this picture of my Mighty RX3 being lifted on the tow truck.

John and Tom waited with me for the tow truck and let me use his cell phone...Thank you :thanks:

Throttle is now working correctly. :clap:

SpudRider 06-27-2016 04:20 AM

Thanks for posting the great photo, and the warning. The odds against this event occurring must be huge. Thank God for the kill switch, and your quick thinking. ;)

madsocial 06-29-2016 09:15 AM

Wow! Go figure! A little stone the size of a black pepper ball! Wow!