ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Saga 250 rear shock specs? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13618)

flyfishinwoman 04-14-2014 11:42 PM

Saga 250 rear shock specs?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all, new person with a question about lowering my Saga 250. I think the best solution is to get a replacement shock that is a bit shorter, so am trying to find out the specs of the stock rear shock, and find a replacement. I know the bike engine is a Honda cg125 copy, but not sure about the suspension. Anybody know? Thanks in advance.

Weldangrind 04-15-2014 11:52 AM

I'm prettty sure that the rear suspension uses a link, so fabricating a new dog bone could produce the seat height you seek. Have a look at the lower mount of the rear shock; does it mount directly to the swingarm, or does it attach to a link that passes through the swingarm?

If it uses a link, have a look underneath the bike. There should be a dogbone-shaped piece that connects the link to the frame. I think that a longer dogbone would lower the seat height.

Please take pics and show us what you find.

flyfishinwoman 04-15-2014 11:42 PM

Weld, you're right there is a dog-bone linkage, but I'm not sure that a longer bone would solve the problem due to the configuration of the linkage triangle. I'll have to take a better look and take a pic soon to figure out if that approach would work. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll get back and report what I find.

Weldangrind 04-16-2014 12:02 AM

If you could suspend the bike from overhead (like a tie down strap to a rafter), you could remove one bolt from the dogbone, and then lower the bike to where you'd like it. If the dogbone moves further away from the mounting point, a longer dogbone would lower the bike.

I would lower the forks in the triples a proportionate amount, so that the bike retains the same rake / trail / fork angle.

flyfishinwoman 04-16-2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 166209)
If you could suspend the bike from overhead (like a tie down strap to a rafter), you could remove one bolt from the dogbone, and then lower the bike to where you'd like it. If the dogbone moves further away from the mounting point, a longer dogbone would lower the bike.

I would lower the forks in the triples a proportionate amount, so that the bike retains the same rake / trail / fork angle.

That's a good idea to suspend from the ceiling. When you say lower the bike, do you mean let it down on the ground to the seat height that I require?

I will most definitely raise the forks in the triples to balance it out and keep the same geometry.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Weldangrind 04-17-2014 12:47 AM

Yes, sorry I didn't explain that well. I meant lower it with the ratchet tie-down, until it is at the height you wish. As you lower it, you can also loosen the triples and raise the forks. Perhaps before you begin, you can establish a point on the tank or seat that is level, and maintain that level as you lower the bike.