ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   ATVs (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   First Rhino Actual Failure (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=26080)

2LZ 04-25-2020 01:52 PM

First Rhino Actual Failure

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure about everyone else but my Rhino front brakes have been all-but-useless. Even after adjustment and lube, it was hard to pull, didn't really stop the quad and even as a parking brake, would roll if on a hill so I had to park in gear.

It didn't really bug me though. I have the mindset of "What do I want from a 1000.00 quad?", right? It runs great, pulls, does basically what I want. I don't expect perfection.

So the other day, I was pulling up to my garage, squeezed the brake to a "POP!" I look down, one cable end is gone and the little holders are all splayed out. Guess I should have paid closer attention.

Found everything online for cheap.

franque 04-25-2020 02:43 PM

If you've got a lathe, you might be able to upgrade to hydraulic discs off of a utility ATV. That'd be even better! How many hours do you have on it?

Mudflap 04-25-2020 07:02 PM

Good thing it didn't happen as you were speeding toward your car. I'd like to see a front brake upgrade kit.

2LZ 04-26-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franque (Post 335051)
How many hours do you have on it?

No idea. It's got a few years of service on it at this point and it's always "work service", never really used for fun much.

2LZ 04-26-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudflap (Post 335065)
Good thing it didn't happen as you were speeding toward your car. I'd like to see a front brake upgrade kit.

You got that right. I'm going to go through it all when I get the parts and hopefully make them work at least, a little better. The tire scuffer on my brother's old minibike when I was a kid worked better.

VeeVee 05-14-2020 03:21 PM

2LZ, So do they work better now with new parts or the same? My brand new Rhino fronts are terrible and was wondering what to do. I have been reading a lot of your post and thank you for the help you are giving us!

2LZ 05-14-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeVee (Post 337346)
2LZ, So do they work better now with new parts or the same? My brand new Rhino fronts are terrible and was wondering what to do. I have been reading a lot of your post and thank you for the help you are giving us!

Went completely through them yesterday. Sanded the shoe faces and scuffed up the drum surgaces. Lubed everything including new handle and cables. Slight, if any, improvement.
They just ain't great.

franque 05-14-2020 05:18 PM

You might be able to get an old time machinist to arc your brake drums and shoes together, that should give you an improvement, too!

FLASHLIGHTBOY 05-14-2020 09:19 PM

brake cable

you have the brake cables adjusted so that they are hard to apply... they should be loosen ,... not lengthen like you have them... this will apply the brakes with less pull... that is why it broke..... wrong adjustment,... they do not use the front brakes anyways.... just the rear.... some of the new models have front disc brakes..

crabjoe 05-15-2020 01:03 AM

Maybe the front disc brakes from a Bull 200 or Raptor could be used as a retro fit?