ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Other Brands (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   1972 Norton Commando (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13752)

FastDoc 06-03-2014 05:59 PM

1972 Norton Commando

Ron, the Royal Enfield dealer I bought my bike from, had a Commando in the shop...

I had mentioned it to my friend Gerry, who became very excited.

I got more information on the Commando, and it looks like a good bike at a good price.

Jerry and Ron are talking about it, and who knows, we may be taking another trip out to Portland for a Gen-U-Ine antique British superbike.

I will get to ride it, and thank GOD it will NOT be mine lol!

Barnone 06-03-2014 08:38 PM

"I will get to ride it, and thank GOD it will NOT be mine lol!"
My sentiments exactly.
The last real Brit bike I had was a 650 BSA back in the 1960's. Traded it in on a Suzuki X6 Hustler and could not believe the improvement in reliability.

2LZ 06-04-2014 10:37 AM

They are cool to visually appreciate with a cold adult beverage with buddies on a Friday evening....but as far as any regular miles....they're best oggled, for sure.
I still appreciate a really good restoration though.

LOL! What's that tell you when a bunch of China Riders are talking about how unreliable an old Brit bike is? ;-)

Weldangrind 06-04-2014 10:56 AM

At least China bikes use Metric wrenches. Who wants to invest in Whitworth tools, only to find out that Whitworth fasteners are almost unobtanium?

That said, I do appreciate old Brit bikes from afar.

FastDoc 06-04-2014 11:37 AM

The Brit bikes have a panache that is wonderful to look at and ride, but I would not want to own another. As much as I liked my BSA it was hard to maintain and find parts and wrenches and service for. It also broke a primary chain on me riding home from work, and did about $1,000 of damage to itself in a fraction of a second. It took about 6 months to get the parts and the repairs done. I sold it with joy in my heart once it was back and running better than ever.

The Royal Enfield is the perfect solution for me. ALL the class, pleasure, feel, panache and history of other Brit bikes, but with modern fuel injection, electronic ignition, unit construction, disc brake, and 5 speed and a 3 year warranty to make it a great daily rider.

2LZ 06-04-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastDoc (Post 168016)
The Brit bikes have a panache that is wonderful to look at and ride, but I would not want to own another. As much as I liked my BSA it was hard to maintain and find parts and wrenches and service for. It also broke a primary chain on me riding home from work, and did about $1,000 of damage to itself in a fraction of a second. It took about 6 months to get the parts and the repairs done. I sold it with joy in my heart once it was back and running better than ever.

The Royal Enfield is the perfect solution for me. ALL the class, pleasure, feel, panache and history of other Brit bikes, but with modern fuel injection, electronic ignition, unit construction, disc brake, and 5 speed and a 3 year warranty to make it a great daily rider.

So true. My friend has a 1970 Triumph Tiger he completely restored and the most reliable part is the electronic ignition upgrade! LOL!
I always did like the Norton SS though. The up-pipes were cool.

SpudRider 06-04-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastDoc (Post 168016)

I assume, and hope, the RE uses standard metric hardware. ;)

Weldangrind 06-05-2014 12:47 AM

I wondered the same thing, Spud.

FastDoc 06-05-2014 09:24 AM

Yes:-)

FastDoc 06-05-2014 10:04 AM

Noticed an error in prior post. 2 not 3 year warranty.

FastDoc 06-05-2014 12:29 PM

I also agree in terms of reliability the vintage Brit bikes have nothing on a new China bike. PLUS the CB is very inexpensive to maintian and repair, and parts are only a few clicks on eBay away.

On the other hand, these Brit bikes in question are 40-50 years old at this point. In their day (pre Japanese 'invasion') they were state of the art and the cat's arse, as it were. Compared to American iron of that vintage, the Nortons et al were veritable superbikes.