ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Hawk skid plate/center stand (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20131)

JerryHawk250 10-21-2017 05:02 PM

Hawk skid plate/center stand

5 Attachment(s)
I always wanted to fabricate a center stand since I got my Hawk but could never really figure out how I would attach it so just put it on the back burner until today. I was check the bike over today and was planning to take a ride, then it hit me. :doh: Why not attach it to the skid plate. I had enough tubing and angle laying around so I got busy and this is what I came up with. I even managed to get a 30 mile ride in before the rain started

pete 10-21-2017 05:38 PM

Well done.... pretty dam kool..

JerryHawk250 10-21-2017 05:46 PM

Thanks Pete. Maybe I should fabricate a few and sell. You get a skid plate and center stand all in one.

BlackBike 10-21-2017 07:09 PM

Looks plenty beefy but not out of proportion

http://tappetyclick.com/sites/defaul...ved-design.jpg

Forward to production Bureau

fishman10 10-21-2017 09:59 PM

Skid plate

I can't see. Your downtube to see if it s the same as my bashan storm. But if they are I would be interested in a skid plate!!

Musictrek 10-22-2017 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 267416)
I always wanted to fabricate a center stand since I got my Hawk but could never really figure out how I would attach it so just put it on the back burner until today. I was check the bike over today and was planning to take a ride, then it hit me. :doh: Why not attach it to the skid plate. I had enough tubing and angle laying around so I got busy and this is what I came up with. I even managed to get a 30 mile ride in before the rain started

That would be good for changing a flat!

JerryHawk250 10-22-2017 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musictrek (Post 267447)
That would be good for changing a flat!

that's the main reason I wanted it for and for lubing the chain.

Kdburtch 10-22-2017 08:09 AM

Great work, I would love one of these. My FZ6 had a centerstand and it was very useful.

JerryHawk250 10-23-2017 08:55 AM

If I do decide to build a few of these to sell there will be some changes. I'll make the bottom portion of the skid plate about 3" longer to except the brackets for the center stand. You will noticed I had to re-drill the holes about 1 1/2" further to the rear to put more weight towards the front. I'll need to shorten the legs about an inch. I have about 4" of clearance under the rear tire. To really determine if I make them is what would you be willing to pay for one? The Skid plate is quick and easy. The center stand has some time involved. 2nd one should go quicker. I haven't found anything out there that will just bolt on as far as center stands go.

wamey 10-23-2017 09:05 AM

If you do build some more I'll buy one! Looks awesome!

wchill-hawkrider 10-23-2017 01:07 PM

centerstand

Nice work! Great improvement to the bike....

JerryHawk250 10-23-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wchill-hawkrider (Post 267548)
Nice work! Great improvement to the bike....

Thanks.

Megadan 10-23-2017 02:36 PM

Add me to the list of "yes, please" if you decide to build a few. I would be more than happy to prepay to cover the costs of materials and what-not.

JerryHawk250 10-23-2017 02:49 PM

Well it looks like I need to get busy. I'll start working on a revised set up. Make a few changes in the way I attach the skid plate to the bike. The original skid plate was built without any intentions of mounting the center stand. But now that I know it will work I can work on a final design that is well thought out for easy install. But my question is how much would you be willing to pay for it considering the cost of a skid plate and the cost of a center stand? I would really like to start off with a aluminum skid plate to get the weight down. But surprisingly the steel plate and stand doesn't have a lot of weigh to it. Legs are made out of 3/4" rigid conduit. Skid plate is 1/8" steel.

Megadan 10-23-2017 03:57 PM

Asking me the price, and my first thought is 10 bucks... but I think that of everything lol. Realistically, I would say at least 100 bucks, and even that is likely short changing you. I know the amount of time that goes into making these kinds of things. I would say figure out your material cost and if you have a rough idea of how long they would take to make, figure out some sort of labor price.

Me, personally, I am fine with steel. The aluminum would be expensive, and a couple pounds of extra weight wont make much of a difference. Plus the steel will take and deflect a hit better, with less damage.

The only design change I would make would be a pair of rods with locking pins so the stand can be easily removed or installed for servicing needs. But, I could make that myself cheaply and easily, so I wouldn't even worry about it.