ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Thoughts on fluid in OCS tube (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20084)

fjmartin 10-11-2017 03:14 PM

Thoughts on fluid in OCS tube

So I've had my bike for a little over a year and have 14.5K miles on it. On all oil changes I've used Lucas Semi-Synth 10W-40 oil. I never have anything in my OCS tube. I decided to switch over to Rotella T6 5w-40 due to all the great reviews and the low cost. And I did the research and it has all the certs required for motorcycle use. The nice thing is after the oil change I can now find neutral much easier than I could previously. I went for a 180 mile ride after the oil change. The ride had a good mix of back roads, 70 mph freeway and 70 miles of forest service roads. Temp was pretty cool, 40 to 55, but I've done other rides last winter that were as cold or colder. This time when I got home my OCS tube was about 1/3 full. The bottom half of what was in there was white and the stuff above it was clear. I pulled out the plug and it poured out and had the sheen of petroleum based liquid.

Anyone else had this with Rotella? Do you think it's just a temporary issue with switching oil types? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Joe

ben2go 10-11-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjmartin (Post 266880)
So I've had my bike for a little over a year and have 14.5K miles on it. On all oil changes I've used Lucas Semi-Synth 10W-40 oil. I never have anything in my OCS tube. I decided to switch over to Rotella T6 5w-40 due to all the great reviews and the low cost. And I did the research and it has all the certs required for motorcycle use. The nice thing is after the oil change I can now find neutral much easier than I could previously. I went for a 180 mile ride after the oil change. The ride had a good mix of back roads, 70 mph freeway and 70 miles of forest service roads. Temp was pretty cool, 40 to 55, but I've done other rides last winter that were as cold or colder. This time when I got home my OCS tube was about 1/3 full. The bottom half of what was in there was white and the stuff above it was clear. I pulled out the plug and it poured out and had the sheen of petroleum based liquid.

Anyone else had this with Rotella? Do you think it's just a temporary issue with switching oil types? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Joe

It sounds like condensation issue and not an oil change issue. Be sure everything seals up properly. Humid air can get in through the smallest places.

fjmartin 10-12-2017 12:37 PM

Hmm. Everything is sealed up tight. No oil leaks. Bike running great. Will have to see if it happens again.

2LZ 10-12-2017 02:29 PM

I use Rotella from Wally World without issue. Both my OCS's are in the "unofficial" position. Not sure if that makes a difference. I rarely have anything in the clear tubes.

Jay In Milpitas 10-12-2017 03:10 PM

Possibly just coincidence. With over 14,000 miles of it not happening and now occurring with only oil type being different?

T'is a puzzlement.

jbfla 10-12-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjmartin (Post 266880)
So I've had my bike for a little over a year and have 14.5K miles on it. On all oil changes I've used Lucas Semi-Synth 10W-40 oil. I never have anything in my OCS tube.......

Joe

Joe, my first thought is that the OCS is not working properly....:hmm:

There is always some fluid in tube on my RX3.

jb

fjmartin 10-12-2017 11:49 PM

Yeah, ‘‘tis strange. Will ride this weekend and see what happens