ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   shark 250 remove baffle and cat (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19174)

jatgm1 05-25-2017 08:20 PM

shark 250 remove baffle and cat

How do I remove the baffle and cat from a shark 250? Or is there a way I can just lop off the muffler at the end and put a non restrictive one on? I'm going for better air flow.

Rangerscott 05-25-2017 09:17 PM

Gotta cut the pipe at the bulge and pull the material out.

timcosby 05-25-2017 11:06 PM

and the metal is a bugger to weld back up i chased holes for an hour! then gave up and said to hell wit it and bought aftermarket pipe.

BigWeld 05-25-2017 11:14 PM

The aftermarket setups are cheaper than when I first started researching China bikes. I only paid $115 for mine, shipped to my door. It's SO much better than stock, and ALOT lighter, too!

jatgm1 05-26-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timcosby (Post 257140)
and the metal is a bugger to weld back up i chased holes for an hour! then gave up and said to hell wit it and bought aftermarket pipe.

exactly where do i cut it, and can i use some kind of exhaust wrap and hose clamps instead of welding it?

JeremyC 05-26-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timcosby (Post 257140)

I had to have a professional welder use his heliarc and a new piece of rolled steel to weld mine up. It's a very low-carbon steel. It was only $20 for his services, and well worth it! :lmao:

timcosby 05-27-2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jatgm1 (Post 257221)
exactly where do i cut it, and can i use some kind of exhaust wrap and hose clamps instead of welding it?

no must be welded back.

jatgm1 05-27-2017 08:25 PM

could i just cut the end of the muffler off and not weld it back on? or would it be way to loud/clearly illegal?

Sir kayakalot 05-27-2017 08:54 PM

Cutting the muffler off would be way too loud, BUT you'd still have the cat in the pipe. It's located closer to the engine, right behind the heat shield

Megadan 05-28-2017 03:13 AM

Just my personal opinion here, but consider the costs and make a decision as such. At this point I am assuming you don't have personal access to a welder, so there will be a labor charge involved just to have somebody weld things back together.

Hack stock exhaust, remove cat, purchase an X brand muffler. Just for a nice round number, lets say this ends up costing you about $100. It may cost a bit less, but the average price for a 38mm ebay muffler is around 50-60 bucks. and I am estimating a shop would charge you $40 to do said welding. Obviously, if you do have a welder, then this is by far the cheapest route to go. This also constitutes downtime of several hours. You are then left with a low carbon mild steel exhaust that will be prone to rust.

Aftermarket Ebay exhaust.
No, it's not super high quality, but it is still a low grade stainless steel, which if it does corrode can be cleaned up with steel wood and some WD40, then polished again. It's lighter, already comes with a good straight through style muffler, and requires maybe an hour of down time to install. Can be delivered to your door for $129 or less in as little as 3 or 4 days if you find a US based distributor.

Not saying you can't or shouldn't modify the stock exhaust. If that is what you want to do, and you can do the welding work yourself, then go for it. It will definitely be budget friendly in that instance. The second you have to involve somebody else to do any sort of work, specifically welding, the cost effectiveness goes out the window.

JerryHawk250 05-28-2017 07:21 AM

You don't need to weld. Just cut the cat completely off and put a section of pipe with a muffler clamp on each end.

BigWeld 05-28-2017 07:49 AM

I'm fully equipped to do this job, resulting in FAR nicer welds on the factory exhaust. My time is FREE. And I still opted to buy the aftermarket system for two reasons: it's made of longer lasting (and better looking) materials. And reason number two is a biggie: It's WAY lighter. ALL of these bikes are underpowered imho, so your bike's power to weight ratio is ALWAYS the bottom line. Save your money, and buy the exhaust when you're able. It's worth the wait