ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Bolt-On Cheap Exhaust Option (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17244)

2LZ 08-07-2016 04:31 PM

Bolt-On Cheap Exhaust Option

Hi all,

In the never-ending quest to make any bike run better, I was in deep anguish about having that cat in the stock bazooka........but being cheap, I didn't want to spend a fortune. I mean, a 1200.00 Yoshi would have been nice but.....

So, I hunted around and ordered this. It's good for up to a 600cc so I figured, why not? If it doesn't work on the RX3, I'll try it on one of my other rolling stock. It also has a removable baffle for those who like loud.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I started by whacking the stock muffler off as close to the muffler to leave as much flange as possible for mounting the new set-up. I even took a little weld. Finish the end of what is now the mid-pipe off on your grinding wheel and brush. Note the cat. Just a minor obstruction.

I then went by O'Reileys Auto parts and picked up a 1.5"-2" exhaust adapter. They have them stocked. It ran about 3.50. (Pt#548506) After cleaning this up, cut a cross (4 slits) in each end for crimping purposes (pic only shows one end, do both), then paint with your favorite BBQ black paint. Make the slits deep enough for the width of the clamps you'll be using. I prefer T-Bolt clamps. They aren't cheap but by far the best and you can really bear down on them. I still have one more clamp coming for the 2" end, hence the hose clamp for testing purposes. I'll try to mount both springs on the T-Bolt clamp when it gets here. If not, one will suffice. It's a dang snug fit.

The muffler comes with an adapter. Nice piece too. Feel free to whack the 1.5" end off of it....or do what I did and just reverse it and tap it into the muffler. Restriction? Possible....but no where near as restrictive as the cat. I did mark it with a Sharpee in the middle so I could make sure I was seating evenly on both ends of the adapter. Each end is about 1/2" inch+ inserted.

Whack one of the mounting flanges off the stock muffler. You'll need it for mounting the big clamp that goes around the muffler (included). Then measure and drill a hole on the other end of the flange where you'll need it.

Anyway, turned out nice, I thought. I went for a test burn after resetting the ECM and yes, it runs better. A little friskier but I noticed it most at cruise. I didn't need 1/3 throttle to hold cruise speed. Just a crack of throttle did the job. I can't wait to get it back together and do more miles to get the ECM set up properly.

Louder? yes...but not so much it's a problem at all, in my opinion. After all, the stocker isn't that quiet anyway.

So there you have it. A lighter (about 5+ pounds, estimate), attractive, freer flowing, bolt-on muffler for under 100.00....and it has a nice little growl. I'd post a vid if I knew how. ;-) Workin' on my GoPro as we speak.

2LZ 08-07-2016 04:45 PM

More pics

Here's an end shot so you can see how it looks out the backside. Clears nice, not close to any plastics.
Note: Shameless self-promotion pic of Mrs. 2LZ doing her best Vanna White imitation. The upside is now you can see how the new muffler compares to the stocker.

2LZ 08-07-2016 08:15 PM

Bonus!

I thought while I had it on the rack, I'd take out the baffle to see how it sounded. Loud. Got it....
In the meantime, for a muffler that's supposed to fit a 600cc bike, the popping on my hand behind the pipe wasn't very much. Once the baffle was out, other than the (removable) block at the end to stop the Rangers coat hanger, there was only 3 sets of three holes (9) to let the exhaust gasses out! WTH!? Cool! It's tune-able! So, instead of 9 holes, I busted out the drill press and doubled it to 18. Much better popping on the hand now and no real noise difference!
Chompin' at the bit now to take her out. Need that clamp so I can put the bags back on.......

detours 08-08-2016 12:24 AM

Looking good, 2LZ ! Thanks for the link and write-up!

dpl096 08-08-2016 10:15 AM

Well done 2LZ .... I'm thinking this is a mod for me :tup: You've really gotta learn how to load vids .. it's idiot proof easy and I'm the poster boy to attest to it!

BlackBike 08-08-2016 01:11 PM

2lz...Mechanical maestro

Don't get too carried away with video, I can't afford the download stream;)

FastDoc 08-08-2016 02:51 PM

Remarkably nice clean job, 2LZ. I bet may Zongites will be following in your footsteps on this one. I bet you cut off 5+ pounds there.

david3921 08-08-2016 10:08 PM

Looks nice. Do you think you'll have to rejet?

Azhule 08-08-2016 10:18 PM

No jetting on the RX3 in N. America, although a ECU Fuel Mapping will help these engine A LOT from the looks of the roller coaster ride the hp/torque curve shows on the stock bikes ;)

2LZ 08-08-2016 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azhule (Post 227769)
No jetting on the RX3 in N. America, although a ECU Fuel Mapping will help these engine A LOT from the looks of the roller coaster ride the hp/torque curve shows on the stock bikes ;)

Yes. A remap option would help tremendously on both injector pulse width and swinging the timing advance to a more performance grid....BUT...it has to pass CARB and EPA to start with, so anything like this would have to be done by either CSC or a third party and installed after the fact.
In the meantime, it is a closed loop system running off of an O2 sensor. That O2 sensor will tell the ECM "I need more fuel" when the breathing is opened up "to a point" on the stock mapping.

2LZ 08-08-2016 11:11 PM

Follow up Pics

Got the bars and bags mounted and back on tonight. As you can see in the first pic (background), I shimmed the bracket out "one 5/16th nut" as it was very close to the bag bar...but not quite touching. I bought some space. Turned out nice. Now you can see what it looks like with the bags....

2LZ 08-08-2016 11:23 PM

Performance and Sound

Sound: It sounds about the same at idle. Maybe a tad more aggressive.
On the rev, it's got a growl but not too bad at all. Like I said, the stock muffler wasn't quiet when you open the throttle anyway. It does have a nice sound, when on it, more "performance" sounding....but come on folks, it's like trying to make a V6 sound like a V8. No amount of piping will make it sound like it has more CC's. You back off at cruise and it stifles down some. Livable for sure to me.

Power: Non-Scientific seat of the pants "Butt Dyno".
Quicker throttle response in neutral. Snappier.
Actually able to roll it on without dropping a gear under 5k! About 4-4500, just start to roll on the throttle (not spanking it) and it will catch up with itself! That's an improvement. These normally have "zero" under 5k.
After 5-5500k....marked difference. Between 5 grand and redline, definitely more crisp and more pull. Actual acceleration. Not like "DUDE! IT'S GOT A BLOWER!" kind of acceleration....but it's come to life. Not near as much "BUUUHHAAAWWWWW" when you hit it after 5k.

Cruise: Less throttle needed to maintain cruise. More crisp response.

I'm still going to tune with the baffle some more. I think another set of three holes.

CSCDude 08-09-2016 07:30 AM

That looks very good, 2LZ.

pyoungbl 08-09-2016 09:27 AM

It would be very interesting to see dyno figures. In many cases these mods do not actually produce more hp or torque, in fact it's usually the opposite even with new mapping for the ECU. I saw that on the last two bikes I had on a dyno. They felt like they ran better (and at low rpm the bikes did run smoother) but the hp only changed between 1% and 3%. Fuel mileage suffered quite a bit.

Peter Y.

2LZ 08-09-2016 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSCDude (Post 227795)
That looks very good, 2LZ.

Thanks Joe....and thanks for the great China trip. I checked in every day. Not sure how you can eat so dang much and still lose weight though ;-)