ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic/General Discussion (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Ahh, winter riding... (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6652)

MICRider 02-20-2010 06:08 PM

Ahh, winter riding...

Well, I may be crazy but I took the Konker uptown and filled it up with gas. Still tons of ice and snow out, but the roads are for the most part clear. It rode really well, but I can see that I have to make a few adjustments (like the rear brake!). Managed to get it up to fourth gear even :). I was going to throw the enduro tires on it, but it has some kind of a crazy hex key front axle, guess I will have to pick up a large metric hex key set at Canadian Tire. Surprised me how good it was on the ice in the alley and front street... I think that is due to it's light weight as I wouldn't dare take the Shadow out on the ice. So, only a couple of kilometers, but my first ride on it nonetheless. Got lots of grins from guys in trucks... They probably think I'm nuts!

TurboT 02-21-2010 03:27 AM

Haha good job!

The fact it was sitting there not getting use was killing you more than the thought of laying it down on some ice.. I'd be the same way, something new, have to try it!! :)

Glad you made it back in one piece.

MICRider 02-21-2010 09:09 AM

It felt soooo good to get it on the road :). Lol, I really was impressed by how well it handled the ice and snow. I think it will be a very capable little explorer for me to check out the backroads and trails. Gear indicator is really cool, though I miss my trip meter. I'm hoping for an early spring :)

AZ200cc 02-21-2010 12:40 PM

You are a die hard sir :D

MICRider 02-21-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ200cc
You are a die hard sir :D

Nope, I'm just crazy :). It was about -10 Celcius too, so a tad chilly but ok for a short trip.

FastDoc 02-22-2010 12:07 PM

I understand year-round riding, but I live in the tropics comparred to you!

You might be crazy, I don't think so. We should run some more tests. :D

The axle bolt is 12mm. I did not have an Allen wrench to fit it and borrowed one. I'll pick one up next time I'm somewhere they are sold. IMHO, it should have been included in the tool kit.

Ride on, brother!

FastDoc 02-22-2010 12:12 PM

BTW, I've ridden on trails with light snow, less than an inch (A blizzard by local standards).

I can't urge you strongly enough to not ride on ice or snow, especially on the street. The risk/benefit ratio sucks. PLEASE don't do it, a broken bike or arm or worse is so not worth it. Believe me I know the agony of the motorcycle accident. :oops:

Jim 02-22-2010 12:42 PM

I agree, I've ridden in snow off road, but I wouldn't ride on the street if theres a chance there might be ice. Just my opinion.

katoranger 02-22-2010 12:52 PM

One other thing to add to riding in snow states. The is more for spring. The leftover sand on the roads can be treacherous. Almost lowsided a GPZ in MN one late April.

Loose sand was built up on a curve.

Allen

frostbite 02-22-2010 03:31 PM

You just need some studs!

One of our local nuts....

http://nbdsc.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3224

Jim 02-22-2010 03:39 PM

But how do they do on icy pavement?

FastDoc 02-22-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim
But how do they do on icy pavement?

With a soccer mom in an SUV behind you when you go down.

Jim 02-22-2010 03:53 PM

Yeah, the other vehicles is a good point too. There's a lot of reasons I won't take my bike out if there might be ice on the roads.

frostbite 02-22-2010 06:07 PM

studs + pavement = pain

However, if you stick off-road you should be fine.

MICRider 02-22-2010 08:02 PM

It's ok guys, the main drag was pretty much clear, just the alley's and front street were solid ice and I was the only one on them :). I don't want to get laid up, I have too many bills to pay! Was just dying to get it out. Again though, I have to say I was amazed at how sure footed the thing is... Even on street tires! I'm going to get myself one of those 12 mm hex keys to change to the enduro wheels though. I read somewhere that you can make a tool by buying a metric bolt with a 12 mm head then double nutting it with loctite to turn the axle bolt out. Canadian Tire didn't have a metric allen key that size so I might go that route.