ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   exhaust port blanking plate (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25914)

alex_in_az 04-11-2020 08:20 PM

exhaust port blanking plate

I just finished porting and decking my spare cylinder head and it has the port in the exhaust for something emmisions related I guess. Does anyone know where I can get the blanking plate and gasket to go with it? Also is it worth filling the port up with exhaust cement or does the blanked off port not effect gas velocity if left unfilled?

Rocket tests 04-11-2020 09:03 PM

I was wondering the exact same thing. I ended up using a 1/2" tap to thread that hole and stuck a threadlocked bolt in it. It worked out great because it filled that hole inside the port and I was able to grind a contour on the end of the bolt as I ported the passage.

Kenstogie 04-12-2020 08:26 AM

that is if am not mistaken and air injection system... and it does nothing for your bike from a performance stand point....

as i understand it and what i am doing on my tbr7 is putting a new exhaust on...the added benefit is that there will b no cat and thus much less air restriction from the exhaust anyway....air in air out as my friend always said....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_air_injection

Bruces 04-12-2020 09:06 AM

A lot of these bikes come with the blanking plate ,they bolt them to the crate or sometimes they are bolted to the bike itself ,look around you might get lucky ,look for a tab that is doing nothing , I beleive that’s how several have been found so far .

JerryHawk250 04-12-2020 09:19 AM

You can easily make a block off plate from the crate angle iron or as I did from a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum flat bar. All you need is a hack saw, drill and some gasket material.

Kenstogie 04-12-2020 10:02 AM

was wondering is there any negative effects from these air injection systems ?

alex_in_az 04-12-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket tests (Post 333595)
I was wondering the exact same thing. I ended up using a 1/2" tap to thread that hole and stuck a threadlocked bolt in it. It worked out great because it filled that hole inside the port and I was able to grind a contour on the end of the bolt as I ported the passage.

Awesome suggestion, this is exactly what I'm going to do.

franque 04-12-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenstogie (Post 333649)
was wondering is there any negative effects from these air injection systems ?

Not really, more popping on decel, but if you keep the cat, it helps it from getting plugged up from unburnt fuel, as the SAI adds fresh air, helping to dilute the exhaust air/finish burning unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Kenstogie 04-12-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franque (Post 333662)
Not really, more popping on decel, but if you keep the cat, it helps it from getting plugged up from unburnt fuel, as the SAI adds fresh air, helping to dilute the exhaust air/finish burning unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

thanks.... i am swapping out the stock exhaust for less air restriction but good to know for the meantime .... i do get a little light popping on the deceleration now but am hoping that with the 110 main, iridium plug and new exhaust w/o the cat �� i will no longer have that and more power too...

Goob 04-12-2020 03:09 PM

Popping on deceleration...can be tight valves

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenstogie (Post 333682)
thanks.... i am swapping out the stock exhaust for less air restriction but good to know for the meantime .... i do get a little light popping on the deceleration now but am hoping that with the 110 main, iridium plug and new exhaust w/o the cat �� i will no longer have that and more power too...

I bought my TT250 used with 1130 miles. When new, the PO had replaced the carb with a PWK28 clone and put on a Stainless exhaust. It had some deceleration popping, but not really any more than the stock TT250 I also rode before this bike (it had only 87 miles on it).

Well, the popping got worse over the past 1000 miles and, while I didn't think I was due to adjust the valves until 2500 miles (500 1st adjust + 2000), I decided to do it anyway.

They were VERY tight. Makes me sort of wonder if the PO actually did the 500 adjust like he said he did. Anyway, did the adjustment and all popping is gone.

Can't say it is completely from the valve adjust because I decided that the PWK28 was too big for basically no mods but the exhaust and put on a VM26-606 instead. So, could be a combination of valves and the correct sized carb.

franque 04-12-2020 03:28 PM

The air injection will cause popping though. There can be other reasons for popping, but that will definitely cause it.