ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic/General Discussion (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   1999 GMC Sierra (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14596)

Weldangrind 04-20-2015 02:04 PM

1999 GMC Sierra

1 Attachment(s)
Inspired by Katoranger, I decided to start a thread about the hillbilly repairs I've done to my old truck. I picked it up two years ago from a buddy at Church who was down on his luck; he was going to sell the truck to a scrap yard for $350.00, so I gave him $500.00 for it. It had new shocks, fuel filter, alternator, battery and tires. It had 365000km (226800 miles) on it, but the 4.8l LS motor runs strong and doesn't burn or leak oil.

The truck needed rear brakes and rear axle service, and my buddy couldn't sink the cash into it. He was trying to move to Saskatchewan, and just needed it gone.

It had a contractor canopy on it, and I promptly sold it for $250.00. I used that cash for rear calipers, axle seals, bearings and part of the parking brake cable assembly.

I can't find a pic of how it sat when I brought it home, but here's how it sits now, after a spring swap. More on that later.

Attachment 2554

Weldangrind 04-20-2015 02:08 PM

Since the rear axle service, I've also repaired the driver's window regulator (which is manual, as are the locks), corrected the driver's door speaker and light wiring (due to some PO's butchery), replaced the door pins and bushings, installed new tailgate hinges, replaced the trans filter and fluid, changed the engine oil, stitched up the driver's seat and installed a free stereo that came from Son of Weldangrind. He recently bought a '98 Chev Cheyenne, and he installed a fancy stereo that someone gave him in exchange for guitar lessons. He gave me his reject Panasonic stereo, which plays MP3's, but only in CD format. Works for me.

EDIT: I also installed a new cabin air filter and new rear rotors.

Weldangrind 04-20-2015 02:16 PM

I've also installed 3500 mirrors that I bought for cheap on eBay. They extend for towing, and they're terrific. I bought a cheap brake controller online, and it plugged right into the truck harness. I had to run a power wire from the power box under the hood to the receiver, but the fuse holder and terminal were already in place.

The GMC and Chev trucks changed dramatically in '99. The 1500 wheels went from 5 lug to six, and the harness is trailer-ready. Since my truck came with the tow/haul feature, I bought a Class IV receiver and bolted it in. In retrospect, I should have grabbed a stock receiver from the boneyard and cleaned it up. They're much sturdier, since they tie into the bumper as well as the frame.

Weldangrind 04-20-2015 02:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My illegal Son and I grabbed a pair of 2500HD springs from the boneyard, because they're 2.5" like the stock 1500 springs, and the length is the same. Here's a comparison shot:

Attachment 2555

After some measuring, I determined that I couldn't use the bottom plates, since the 2500HD axle tube is a larger diameter. Here is a comparison of the plates:

Attachment 2556

Attachment 2557

Weldangrind 04-20-2015 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since the 2500 HD springs have two more leaves (and a fatter and longer overloader), I couldn't use the stock size u-bolts. I also couldn't use the 2500HD u-bolts, because the thread doesn't extend far enough up the shank, and because the 1500 bottom plate holes are too small.

The solution was to have custom u-bolts bent up at Carrier Suspension in Abbotsford, for $10 each. I think that's fair for Grade 8 u-bolts with fine thread, deep well nuts and hardened washers.

Here's a comparison of the 1500, custom and 2500HD u-bolts:

Attachment 2558

Weldangrind 04-20-2015 03:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some shots of the removal / installation process:

Attachment 2559

Attachment 2560

Attachment 2561

Weldangrind 04-20-2015 03:23 PM

The original driver's side leaf spring was a little flat, and I'm sure that's why the truck sat a little crooked as viewed from behind. The new springs have plenty of arc, and they're quite similar to each other. They're also quite black, and there's a yellow part number on the bottom side. I think these springs were changed not too long before the truck hit the yard.

It's important to point out that one should never perform a mod like this with the intent to increase the capacity of the truck. You'll still have a 1500 rear axle and driveshaft. I replaced the springs so that the rear doesn't squat as much when connected to my trailer. My truck was already rated for the trailer weight, and I use weight distribution bars.

The truck sits a little higher unloaded than I'd like, but I'll connect it to the trailer this week and see what it does. If it's level, I'll leave it alone. If it's too high, I'll buy some drop shackles and lower it the 2" that it gained in the spring swap. Time will tell.

Weldangrind 04-20-2015 03:27 PM

I forgot to mention fasteners. I bought all new matching grade bolts from Raider Hansen, and torqued them to spec. I installed them in the same fashion as the factory, so I can retorque in time.

Also, the custom Grade 8 u-bolts are spec'd to an astonishing 129 foot pounds! I had the spring shop confirm that number for me, just to be sure. I tell you, it was all I had to pull that torque wrench to that level. I can see the benefit in a 3/4" drive torque wrench, but I can't justify it. BTW, I confirmed the accuracy of the torque wrench with a calibrated torque wrench, and they were very close to each other.

ripcuda 04-20-2015 03:28 PM

Interesting repairs and upgrades. I need to find me a cheap truck.

Is most of the rusting you see in your area caused by the salt air? Or do they use salt on the roads up on BC?

In the Inland NW... we don't use salt and don't have hardly any rust issues.

Cheers!

Weldangrind 04-20-2015 03:36 PM

The salt was from a hard life in Saskatchewan; they salt to about -10C, but anything below that temperature makes salt useless.

It's only the undercarriage that has rust like that. The body is remarkably clean.

There is no salt air where I live. I'm too far inland for that. Cars and trucks last forever in my area. This region hardly ever gets much below freezing, so ice on the roads isn't an issue. If you go into the Interior BC region where it snows heavily, I think they salt quite a bit.

cheesy 04-20-2015 04:57 PM

If I ever find the need to change the springs on my Silverado, I'll offer you three bottles of your favorite single malt for you to come and do it.

Weldangrind 04-20-2015 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 183160)
If I ever find the need to change the springs on my Silverado, I'll offer you three bottles of your favorite single malt for you to come and do it.

One bottle, one case of your finest local IPA, and you pay for the return air fare from Bellingham, WA. Done.

I also request a tour of Cheesyland.

cheesy 04-20-2015 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 183165)
One bottle, one case of your finest local IPA, and you pay for the return air fare from Bellingham, WA. Done.

I also request a tour of Cheesyland.

Finest local IPA, eh? Tough choice.

Not Your Fathers' Root Beer(spiced ale) is so popular around here that it comes off the shelf faster than it can get restocked. http://smalltownbrewery.com/

SpudRider 04-21-2015 12:07 AM

Thanks for sharing your project. :) As always, you do excellent work. :tup:

Weldangrind 04-21-2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 183170)
Finest local IPA, eh? Tough choice.

Not Your Fathers' Root Beer(spiced ale) is so popular around here that it comes off the shelf faster than it can get restocked. http://smalltownbrewery.com/

Interesting! I wonder if they sell their product at the brewery. One of my favourite local breweries does, which is Dead Frog. http://www.deadfrog.ca/

The products I saw in the Small Town Brewery video reminded me of Unibroue, which is among the highest quality and most complex products I've ever tasted. http://www.unibroue.com/en

A tiny new brewery just opened up in my town, and so far, they are strictly tall bottles and growlers. They make an excellent product. http://www.oldabbeyales.com/