ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Other Brands (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   new ride (I hope) (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13790)

midlifekrisiz 06-22-2014 05:44 PM

new ride (I hope)

So I picked up a 1998 Polaris 250 2 stroke Trail Boss the other day (made a stop at W&G's house on the way home) ....get it home and put cables to it and it fires up and runs for about 30 seconds and dies.
today I emptied out the tank of old fuel
changed the spark plug
cleaned the carb very well
added new mixed gas to the tank

and nothing not even a burp and I did what I was supposed to to clean and check everything. only thing I can get off internet is that the rings may be seized or it needs a bore and new piston and rings :(

any ideas guys?

Weldangrind 06-22-2014 08:30 PM

When you say "nothing not even a burp," does that mean that it won't even try to turn over now, or it won't fire?

midlifekrisiz 06-22-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 168647)
When you say "nothing not even a burp," does that mean that it won't even try to turn over now, or it won't fire?

I'm sorry won't fire....she turns over no problem.
Upon reflection I do recall that any of the Chinese ones I have worked on had a big blue spark and this one does not so tomorrow I am going to go grab a new ngk racing wire and replace that next....one thing at a time

FastDoc 06-23-2014 12:03 AM

Congratulations on your new machine! If the worst thing you need to do is a piston rings, on a two-stroke machine like that, it should be quite cheap and fairly easy. I have heard many good things about that ATV, and I have seen a number for sale. Enjoy!

midlifekrisiz 06-23-2014 07:14 PM

Weld : I know this is a stupid question but .....do you have a compression tester.

pete 06-24-2014 02:49 AM

So you have spark.... what about the carb... you said it run for 30 secs then
stoped... maybe it used the fuel in the float bowl... carb not getting fuel..
Reed valve... maybe the crank seals if it's been sitting...

( Added new MIXED gas to the tank !!!!!! )
But the main question thats on my mined is... "Has the oil pump been removed?"
If not....Why are putting pre-mixed fuel in a oil injected motor ?.. Could be to oily and not sparking....

midlifekrisiz 06-24-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 168684)
So you have spark.... what about the carb... you said it run for 30 secs then
stoped... maybe it used the fuel in the float bowl... carb not getting fuel..
Reed valve... maybe the crank seals if it's been sitting...

( Added new MIXED gas to the tank !!!!!! )
But the main question thats on my mined is... "Has the oil pump been removed?"
If not....Why are putting pre-mixed fuel in a oil injected motor ?.. Could be to oily and not sparking.....

I will check the float bowl to make sure that it is still getting fuel in there.
do not think that these had reeds from what I have read about them.
the oil pump has been disconnected hence me draining out old mixed fuel and putting in new mixed fuel.

Weldangrind 06-24-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midlifekrisiz (Post 168648)
I'm sorry won't fire....she turns over no problem.
Upon reflection I do recall that any of the Chinese ones I have worked on had a big blue spark and this one does not so tomorrow I am going to go grab a new ngk racing wire and replace that next....one thing at a time

Does not produce a spark at all, or does not produce a fat blue spark?

Weldangrind 06-24-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midlifekrisiz (Post 168670)
Weld : I know this is a stupid question but .....do you have a compression tester.

Yes, but I might not have the specific adapter that is the same size as your plug. I can make an adapter out of your old plug, with a little time.

midlifekrisiz 06-24-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 168692)
Does not produce a spark at all, or does not produce a fat blue spark?

does not produce a fat blue spark

Weldangrind 06-24-2014 11:25 AM

That's certainly not piston ring related. You could have stuck rings that are limiting compression, but the spark is something else. Do you have a test light? If so, you could check at the two primary wires of the coil to see if the coil is receiving power. If it is not, move backwards towards the stator. If it is, move forwards towards the coil, coil wire or boot.

midlifekrisiz 06-24-2014 11:35 AM

I do have a test light but the coil is under the fuel tank in these ones so have to take the tank off to do the tests and might as well throw a new NGK racing wire in there wile I have it all apart. but will do as you have instructed weld.

midlifekrisiz 07-03-2014 07:59 PM

ok so replaced the plug wire and definitely have a better spark...damn near had it fire today but now it is spitting fuel into the air box. removed the air box and had it almost start and then back fire a flame out the carb lol
letting battery charge over night and try again tomorrow

Weldangrind 07-04-2014 01:41 AM

FYI, it would be a miracle for most two strokes to fire with no air cleaner installed.

I know you said you cleaned the carb well, but you're welcome to borrow my ultrasonic cleaner if you like.

Dave_D 07-04-2014 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 169082)
FYI, it would be a miracle for most two strokes to fire with no air cleaner installed.

I know you said you cleaned the carb well, but you're welcome to borrow my ultrasonic cleaner if you like.

I was baffled why my pw wouldn't start. Had no filter on it when I got it.
Covered the intake with 1 finger started and ran great