ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Bike has super aggressive shakes during idle (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=28483)

GoldenBoy1704 03-29-2021 01:50 PM

Bike has super aggressive shakes during idle

Hi everyone, I just got my new Hawk 250 to start today and whenever I start it and let it idle it shakes and vibrates. A lot. I'm new to motorcycles and dirt bikes in general so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. If it is an issue and I'm not just being nervous how should I go about fixing this? If you can, please explain it as simply as possible, my knowledge on the subject isn't very great

Thanks,
GoldenBoy

Oldenslow 03-29-2021 02:17 PM

I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with your motor -- I'd have to be there to see it for myself -- but it well may be there's nothing wrong with it. A single-cylinder engine is by its nature unbalanced, and although various mechanical features and contrivances serve to reduce vibration in some motors, usually they are going to shake at idle and buzz at speed. On the other hand, something like a 6-cylinder Honda Gold Wing can idle so smoothly you almost have to touch it to make sure it's running. There's a reason single-cylinder engines are often called "thumpers".

GoldenBoy1704 03-29-2021 05:12 PM

Its got a little bit of time before the field I'm practicing on is open so I'm just gonna assume its just my nerves getting to me
Hopefully I don't crash

Update: didn't crash after first ride, and I figured out why the engine kept going nuts. My bike acts as if I'm tugging on the throttle even when I'm not, I think I tightened something on the carb to much. Gonna adjust it and try again

tknj99 03-29-2021 06:53 PM

I'm sure its just normal idle or perhaps a slight adjustment needed.. or hmm.. maybe you got "Harley mode" enabled ;)

TxTaoRider 03-29-2021 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tknj99 (Post 356924)
I'm sure its just normal idle or perhaps a slight adjustment needed.. or hmm.. maybe you got "Harley mode" enabled ;)

If it was in Harley mode, it would've leaked a puddle of oil then quit.

GoldenBoy1704 04-05-2021 11:02 AM

I got it started again after some adjustments and nothing changed, ended up crashing this time. The bike is acting like the throttle is being pulled but its not, its going near full speed whenever its in first gear, is there any way to change that? I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather not go flying off into the distance from 0-12 in 1.3 seconds

Thanks again

franque 04-05-2021 12:27 PM

Is the choke on?

GoldenBoy1704 04-05-2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franque (Post 357406)
Is the choke on?

Yes, full choke. I've tried it at all three choke settings and it does the same thing regardless, I think something at the throttle itself isn't right. I could definitely be wrong though

ikeus685 04-05-2021 12:52 PM

Possible problem is that all slack has ben taken out of the throttle cable. Ensure that there is a little wiggle room.

JerryHawk250 04-05-2021 01:15 PM

Sounds like you have the idle set way too high. If the idle speed screw does nothing than more than like likely there is not enough slack in the throttle cable or carb slide is in backwards.

Bruces 04-05-2021 03:12 PM

The throttle slide might be in backwards

GoldenBoy1704 04-05-2021 07:41 PM

Okay guys, I finally figured it out

I had bought a third party carb to replace the sock one which I heard was junk. On the third party carb there was a little needle that was stopping the slide from going all the way down. It took me a pretty long time to notice this despite it being a really important detail. It still doesn't run perfectly but at least its better, thanks again everyone for all the help!

idle_purr 04-05-2021 08:51 PM

Not sure if this will help you or not but my father's hawk with 10 miles on it, had this issue and I discovered that there was not enough slack on my throttle cable and whenever I turned left it overstressed the cable. The throttle cable was actually coming out of the carb at about a 15 degree angle.

I was able to add more slack by shifting the cable to the front side of the cluster, closer to the key. The cable now comes straight out of the carb and the throttle is smooth as butter.

The idle is sporadic, smooth one minute and shaky the next. My father ordered a new carb but it won't be here for about 2 weeks. I assume that will be the resolve we are looking for.

Goldenboy
are you able to upload a video to youtube of your engine idling after warm up?

GoldenBoy1704 04-05-2021 09:11 PM

Goldenboy are you able to upload a video to youtube of your engine idling after warm up?[/QUOTE]

I'll get one tomorrow at around 3:30 pm MST when the field I practice in is free again

I have no idea what happened with the quote thing but its not important right now

mtiberio 04-06-2021 06:20 PM

one of your motor mount bolts fell out.