ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Coleman CT200U (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19740)

SamM 08-23-2017 12:20 AM

Coleman CT200U

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked up a brand new Coleman CT200U adult mini bike off eBay for $460. I've been wanting one for awhile. The rebuild has already started. New Predator 212cc Hemi engine, TAV30 cvt, new Carlisle Trail Wolf atv tires, new handlebars and brakes. My plan is to use it on my property as a utility bike. I may stretch the frame to make it more stable on steep hills and move the new engine forward. The Hemi has been rubber mounted to help with vibration. It's also getting new red paint in a darker shade.

SamM

wheelbender6 08-23-2017 07:42 PM

Very cool. I have been seeing the Coleman bikes on the beach a lot lately. They work good in the sand.

SamM 08-23-2017 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, it's a great little bike. I just bought a small Kohler 6.5hp engine and mounted the TAV30 cvt on it. This engine will be used until I finish building the Hemi engine. The horsepower of the Hemi should be around 15 to 18hp and more if I use a Mikuni carb. The brake parts came in today. The handlebar reservoirs have locks for use as parking brakes. Very cool. The brake parts that I ordered will all work but steel will need to be purchase and mounts fabbed. Looking forward to riding it soon. The frame may get lengthened 6 to 8". I'm at the point of cutting the frame now. We'll see how it goes.

SamM

SamM 08-23-2017 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the Hemi engine in a possible mounting position. Note the red valve cover to denote a high-performance engine. LOL! I want the engine as far forward as I can get it. Lengthening the frame will make it possible to mount a place for my service dog to sit also. He loves riding.

SamM

ben2go 08-24-2017 11:03 AM

I'm following you along this path. Have you been posting in the CT200 group on www.oldminibikes.com forum?

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/g...00u-bikes.html

SamM 08-24-2017 05:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks ben2go. I have not posted in that forum yet. I do believe that I am a member there. The CT200U will make a great utility bike. It's actually big enough to be worthwhile for adults. Most mini bikes aren't.

I did cut the frame and remove the handlebars. New handlebar mounts and handlebars are on the way. I got fully adjustable bars and clamps off eBay. Currently, my thought is toward designing a front suspension. Looking at ideas for that. The plan is to have this ready to ride in early September. Almost everything is here and ready to go. The Hemi engine needs about $400 worth of parts still.

SamM

katoranger 08-25-2017 09:15 AM

Nice project. Been a long time since you posted about any of the other projects.

Allen

SamM 08-25-2017 09:49 AM

The rest of them sort of went away. I'm retired now and had some pretty bad stuff happen to me. It was basically too many projects, too little money. The Stealth Fighter is still here. I've been riding it. The battery is almost completely shot and I'm looking for a replacement. The Diesel KLR had too many issues to overcome and my health became a factor. Still working on the trailer. The frame and suspension turned out really nice. Life sometimes gets in the way of good intentions and even the best laid plans. I do still have the Lotus Seven but have not been working on it. She's tucked into the garage.

It has been a long time! I love this site and the great people here. The Coleman is a chinabike and I thought of this, as the best place to show the build. It will be finished, unlike some of the others.

I hope you and the rest of the guys are doing well, Allen.

SamM

Darkrider 08-27-2017 07:51 PM

Def gonna keep tabs on this project! Been kicking around the idea of picking up a bike similar to this ever since i seen the Dirt Every Day episode that they had them on.

SamM 08-27-2017 10:12 PM

That was a great episode. I saw it too.

The steel needs to be ordered this week to extend the frame. The frame will be triangulated at the neck and at the rear rack. Steel for the new brake mounts will be included in that order. I'm thinking about making a guard for the header. It will be wrapped with heat wrap but a little extra insurance would be nice to have. I have no desire to burn myself on it. Some steel mesh that I have would look great on it too. Sort of like the old Tote Gotes. I'm fiddled with the idea of adding a jackshaft, to gear the bike down for climbing hills. That can wait, along with the front suspension and suspension seat. The most important thing is getting it ready to ride. I need it for hunting season.

SamM

Darkrider 08-27-2017 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamM (Post 264268)
That was a great episode. I saw it too.

The steel needs to be ordered this week to extend the frame. The frame will be triangulated at the neck and at the rear rack. Steel for the new brake mounts will be included in that order. I'm thinking about making a guard for the header. It will be wrapped with heat wrap but a little extra insurance would be nice to have. I have no desire to burn myself on it. Some steel mesh that I have would look great on it too. Sort of like the old Tote Gotes. I'm fiddled with the idea of adding a jackshaft, to gear the bike down for climbing hills. That can wait, along with the front suspension and suspension seat. The most important thing is getting it ready to ride. I need it for hunting season.

SamM

Sounds like it could end up being quite the rig when it is finished. One thing i have been looking into is rebuilding an old Honda Trike into basically a larger version of a mini bike. Either that or getting an old trike rolling chassis and extend it to be a utility vehicle similar to the old John Deere AMTs (Predecessor to the Gator). Would not be difficult at all to make a spare trike axle into a floating tag axle.

SamM 08-28-2017 01:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sounds like a great plan, Darkrider. I really loved riding mini bikes as a kid. This is sort of a way back to that beginning. My riding is only off-road now. No more street bikes for me. My doctor recently told me again, that a trike was the only way for me to get back into street riding. Not sure about that. May as well buy a convertible and take the wife.

The CT200U is also my way to get back into building again. I have a lot of time on my hands now. My next project will be my Stealth electric bike over the Winter. The next may be something like this. I'm really liking this utility bike that I came across. A very simple rugged design. This would be perfect for a Honda clone engine with a semi-auto transmission. Maybe even a Piranha 150cc pit bike engine.

SamM

Darkrider 08-28-2017 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamM (Post 264277)
Sounds like a great plan, Darkrider. I really loved riding mini bikes as a kid. This is sort of a way back to that beginning. My riding is only off-road now. No more street bikes for me. My doctor recently told me again, that a trike was the only way for me to get back into street riding. Not sure about that. May as well buy a convertible and take the wife.

The CT200U is also my way to get back into building again. I have a lot of time on my hands now. My next project will be my Stealth electric bike over the Winter. The next may be something like this. I'm really liking this utility bike that I came across. A very simple rugged design. This would be perfect for a Honda clone engine with a semi-auto transmission. Maybe even a Piranha 150cc pit bike engine.

SamM

That utility bike is def an interesting unit. Especially since it has a two part frame that pivots in the center. Kicked around the thought of something like it based around a cheap single cyl Diesel engine. Kicked around the idea for the same type of engine for the Utility vehicle as well. One idea that may be interesting with the Coleman (or similar minibike) would be an electric conversion.

SamM 08-28-2017 08:59 AM

I've thought about that as well but the batteries don't like the cold much here. Keeping the battery alive here as been a challenge.

SamM

Darkrider 08-28-2017 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamM (Post 264295)
I've thought about that as well but the batteries don't like the cold much here. Keeping the battery alive here as been a challenge.

SamM

Hmmm that does present a challenge...

SamM 08-31-2017 09:33 PM

Just ordering up the last of my parts this weekend. The steel will be coming as well. I'm excited to make some progress and get the frame finished. It will be done this month. The Hemi engine will be built over the Winter. The Coleman should get me onto my hunting land without a problem.

I'm trying to determine the length to stretch the frame rails. These bikes will comeback toward the rider on steep sections.

Darkrider 08-31-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamM (Post 264467)
Just ordering up the last of my parts this weekend. The steel will be coming as well. I'm excited to make some progress and get the frame finished. It will be done this month. The Hemi engine will be built over the Winter. The Coleman should get me onto my hunting land without a problem.

I'm trying to determine the length to stretch the frame rails. These bikes will comeback toward the rider on steep sections.

If you had more time i would almost suggest making it into something like that utility bike above. Couldn't you stretch the bike the length of the seat and place the seat on the stretched section to give yourself some frame rail to attach a rack or box. Would shift the motor weight more under you in the process.

SamM 09-02-2017 12:12 AM

The frame was cut just before the rear portion of the seat. That's the section of frame that's straight. Keeping the engine in the stock location will make the bike easier to maneuver uphill, by keeping most of the weight forward. Keeping the rider weight forward will also make going uphill smoother without the front coming off the ground. I've noticed this is a problem on the CT200U in YouTube videos. The bike has front and rear racks but a small area will be added behind the seat for my dog, a chainsaw, hand tools, etc... I'll carrier a Rotopax with fuel on the front all the time. A toolbox with parts, oil, bike tools and a first aid kit will go behind the engine on the frame. This should come together quickly as the engine just bolts in as a unit. There is no wiring except for a kill switch. The brakes may take a little time. Adding a brake to a jackshaft would be super easy to do, but brakes on each wheel would stop it better.

SamM

Darkrider 09-03-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamM (Post 264500)
The frame was cut just before the rear portion of the seat. That's the section of frame that's straight. Keeping the engine in the stock location will make the bike easier to maneuver uphill, by keeping most of the weight forward. Keeping the rider weight forward will also make going uphill smoother without the front coming off the ground. I've noticed this is a problem on the CT200U in YouTube videos. The bike has front and rear racks but a small area will be added behind the seat for my dog, a chainsaw, hand tools, etc... I'll carrier a Rotopax with fuel on the front all the time. A toolbox with parts, oil, bike tools and a first aid kit will go behind the engine on the frame. This should come together quickly as the engine just bolts in as a unit. There is no wiring except for a kill switch. The brakes may take a little time. Adding a brake to a jackshaft would be super easy to do, but brakes on each wheel would stop it better.

SamM

Ahh ok did not realize you had cut it behind the seat...well..carry on then lol

SamM 09-04-2017 03:31 AM

Thanks, Darkrider! lol

My plan is to put in a full day on it, later today. I'm up far too late as it is. Still waiting on a lot of parts to arrive. I just realized that I did not order the steel for the rotor mounts. That needs to be done tomorrow as well. I will need to get the mounting plates cut and drilled.

SamM

Darkrider 09-04-2017 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamM (Post 264593)
Thanks, Darkrider! lol

My plan is to put in a full day on it, later today. I'm up far too late as it is. Still waiting on a lot of parts to arrive. I just realized that I did not order the steel for the rotor mounts. That needs to be done tomorrow as well. I will need to get the mounting plates cut and drilled.

SamM

Def going to be interesting to see how this all works out. I may have a lead on an old bike from the mid to late 60s called a Tote Goat. From what i am understanding of it so far it is basically an adult sized version of the typical mini bike that spawned your Coleman. Sort of a predecessor to the Rokans.

SamM 09-04-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Def going to be interesting to see how this all works out. I may have a lead on an old bike from the mid to late 60s called a Tote Goat. From what i am understanding of it so far it is basically an adult sized version of the typical mini bike that spawned your Coleman. Sort of a predecessor to the Rokans.
If you get a chance to pick up a Tote Gote, DO NOT pass on it. I would love to have one. A buddy of mine had a very nice Gote that sat in his storage building for years and years. I tried to buy it many, many times but he would not sell it to me. He moved and we lost contact for awhile but a few years ago, I saw him out and offered him $200 for the Tote Gote. He just look down speechless. He had sold it the previous day for $25. Unbelievable! He had totally forgotten that I asked him about that bike every time I saw him. Even after me tell him over and over, he didn't realize what the Gote was and what he had. He just thought it was a mini bike. Crazy!

The Tote Gote was designed in 1957 and was sold by the Bonham Corporation until they closed in 1970. It was first called the 'Mechanical Gote' and was developed by Ralph Bonham for hunters to carry or 'tote' game animals out of remote hunting grounds.

The Rokon series of motorcycles was first designed in 1958 by Charlie Fehn. It was original named Trailmaker. Nethercutt Industries bought the designs in 1960 and named it Trail-Breaker. The first bikes were manufactured and sold by Nethercutt and Rokon was not founded until 1963 to sell and then, manufacture those bikes when Nethercutt lost interest in them. Ownership of the design and company has changed several times. They are now made in New Hampshire by Tom Blais. The history is very interesting.

SamM

Darkrider 09-04-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamM (Post 264612)
If you get a chance to pick up a Tote Gote, DO NOT pass on it. I would love to have one. A buddy of mine had a very nice Gote that sat in his storage building for years and years. I tried to buy it many, many times but he would not sell it to me. He moved and we lost contact for awhile but a few years ago, I saw him out and offered him $200 for the Tote Gote. He just look down speechless. He had sold it the previous day for $25. Unbelievable! He had totally forgotten that I asked him about that bike every time I saw him. Even after me tell him over and over, he didn't realize what the Gote was and what he had. He just thought it was a mini bike. Crazy!

The Tote Gote was designed in 1957 and was sold by the Bonham Corporation until they closed in 1970. It was first called the 'Mechanical Gote' and was developed by Ralph Bonham for hunters to carry or 'tote' game animals out of remote hunting grounds.

The Rokon series of motorcycles was first designed in 1958 by Charlie Fehn. It was original named Trailmaker. Nethercutt Industries bought the designs in 1960 and named it Trail-Breaker. The first bikes were manufactured and sold by Nethercutt and Rokon was not founded until 1963 to sell and then, manufacture those bikes when Nethercutt lost interest in them. Ownership of the design and company has changed several times. They are now made in New Hampshire by Tom Blais. The history is very interesting.

SamM

Oh, Ok so they were both designed to do the same basic idea but two different ways about it. I will find out soon enough about the gote. As far as i know so far it is just a rolling chassis with no motor. Easy enough problem to solve.

Weldangrind 09-04-2017 01:21 PM

X2 on not passing up on a Tote Goat. I'd love to have one.

Darkrider 09-05-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 264625)
X2 on not passing up on a Tote Goat. I'd love to have one.

What is amusing is the fact it is closer to your location then it is to me lol

Weldangrind 09-05-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkrider (Post 264678)
What is amusing is the fact it is closer to your location then it is to me lol

Is that an opportunity to meet for a coffee? Where is it?

Darkrider 09-05-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 264692)
Is that an opportunity to meet for a coffee? Where is it?

Not quite sure. I do know it is just past the BC border. However if i get it it will not be me picking it up. It will be the friend that told me about it.

Border411 09-11-2017 02:26 PM

BJs Wholesale sells these....I think for a pretty good price.

ben2go 09-11-2017 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Border411 (Post 264998)
BJs Wholesale sells these....I think for a pretty good price.

I have found them at some Walfarts as low as $125. Walfart is trying to get rid of them because they say that everyone they sell gets rode hard and returned a few weeks later busted.

SamM 10-13-2017 06:51 PM

I’ve seen the CT100U for $125 at Walmart but not the CT200U.

SamM

ben2go 10-13-2017 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamM (Post 266997)
I’ve seen the CT100U for $125 at Walmart but not the CT200U.

SamM

I found two of the CT200U at a walmart a little way away from me back over winter. They sold before I could get there. The manager said his store wouldn't carry any more power sports type vehicles. He said people buy them, trash them in two weeks, and bring them back for multiple exchanges or for a full refund.

SamM 10-13-2017 10:34 PM

Wow, that’s an awesome price. I’ve never seen them sell for that around here. Somebody got a great deal.

SamM

SamM 10-19-2017 12:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a small update on the CT200U. I have decided to use a small Kohler 196cc 2000 Series 6.5hp engine on the Coleman until I purchase a few more parts for the Hemi Predator. The Kohler engine is small and weighs 28lbs which is a lot less than a Predator. I bought a second Hemi Predator 212cc engine that I will build for this Coleman. My first rebuilt Hemi will go into my ‘new to me’ Fox Thunderbolt mini-cycle. Clear as mud, right. Basically, I bought 2 Hemis and both bikes are getting Hemi engines. The Kohler will be used as a spare if the Coleman Hemi takes a dump on me.

The Hemi engine for the Coleman CT200U is getting an ARC billet flywheel, an ARC billet rod and a CL-1 high-torque camshaft for increased reliability. A .650” overbored stock carburetor, jet kit, a gutted and vented airbox, a new stainless steel valve kit, chromoly pushrods, and a high-flow K&N oiled air filter will increase the airflow. A gutted stock muffler will also help it out. This will keep the engine more compact and looking stock. It will also have an ARC billet/double bearing side cover, the TAV30 CVT (pictured) and sidecover and head studs. Some of these parts still need to be purchased. The engine build will delay getting the bike finished, so the Kohler will be used until I get the engine built.

Next week, I will be painting the frame and forks. The new steel for the frame is on the way. Should be here Monday. The frame will be stretched 10 or 12”. A jackshaft will be added to the new stretched frame to help gear down the bike. The disc brakes might not be installed on this bike. The drums are sealed and should stay fairly clean. No need for discs. This keeps it a little more simple, because the front drum conversion has already been done.

Here are a couple pictures of the Kohler engine, the front brake, adjustable handlebars and Carlisle Trail Wolf tires. It still needs bar risers and plastic for the mud flaps. I will also fab a basket behind the seat for my dog, Augie.

Thanks for looking! More next week.

SamM

Weldangrind 10-19-2017 10:12 AM

This thread brings me so much joy. :D

SamM 10-19-2017 01:21 PM

Thanks Weldangrind. This bike is great. I really enjoy it and can’t wait to be riding it.

Just be patient and watch to see what happens to it. A new front suspension is being worked out for the CT200U. The suspension seat from a Rokon Trailbreaker could also be used to make this bike a lot better. This is an ever evolving project. I would not rule anything out for it. Keeping the bike usable and making it more usable is the only priority.

These are just the last few thoughts that I have had. I see guys on Youtube building some great mini bikes. I feel that I can do something with this that will be interesting.

SamM

Darkrider 10-19-2017 03:55 PM

Nice to see more progress on this! The Tote Gote is a no go for me as it turns out it got scrapped long ago. Might go looking for an old trike with no engine in it over the winter.

pete 10-20-2017 09:23 PM

Dam you....
You have got me thinking... i have a Dinili 3/4 size 4 wheeler with a dead engine
(can't get bits)...
one of these 6.5hp motors would fit in it quite well.. even found a local surplyer
that has a 7hp with a 2:1 reduction box that also has a centifugle clutch in it that
runs in oil ===> https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-f...1443877074.htm

PS..... Weld.... close & delete this thread before I spend more money , I will
pretend I never read it....

SamM 10-23-2017 02:43 AM

Hey pete,
Just go for it. There are so many parts available for the clone engines, it’s crazy. Sounds like a great project.

The steel for my frame will be here today. I hope to have the frame mocked up and ready to weld on Tuesday. Later this Winter, I’d like to modify the leading link suspension on my Fox Thunderbolt to work on the CT200U. The new shocks for that suspension arrived Saturday. The Coleman seat will be made into a suspension seat to smooth out the ride. I’ll be posting pictures this week.

SamM

SamM 10-23-2017 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s the front end from a Fox Thunderbolt that will be going onto the CT200U sometime this Winter. The Coleman needs a front suspension. The Fox leading link looks like the perfect solution to me. I’m looking for a way to widen and mount it. New metal clamps will be easy to fab from 1/4” plate. It will be widened to accept the CT200U wheel and new brake system.

SamM

Weldangrind 10-24-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 267377)
PS..... Weld.... close & delete this thread before I spend more money , I will
pretend I never read it....

Ha! Now I'm going to make sure you build this project! You know you need to do it. :D