ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic/General Discussion (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   12000 RPM Universal Motorcycle Speedo/Tach (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19680)

Mudflap 08-09-2017 01:14 PM

12000 RPM Universal Motorcycle Speedo/Tach

Just a couple notes for anyone installing one of these.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....pL._SY355_.jpg

If your bike doesn't have a fuel gauge sender, the fuel level display will flash. Installing a 10 ohm to 90 ohm resistor between the sensor wire (usually blue/white) and ground will stop the flashing. 1/4 watt resistor is fine. 10 ohm will give you a full tank reading and 90 ohm will show empty.

Wheel magnet polarity makes a difference. Mine came with 2 rare earth magnets 4mmx10mm which look the same on both sides. The sensor will only pick up either North or South, not sure which but if you attach them to your wheel the wrong direction you'll get nothing. If you put one on the right direction and the other the wrong direction, the speed reading will jump around.

There are a couple old videos on Youtube about installing this meter but the firmware has been updated since they were produced. Used to be the maximum setting for wheel diameter was 999mm but the newer ones can be set up to 2999mm. This lets you use only one magnet if you want instead of a minimum of 3 on a 21" wheel.

All the other connections are easy enough to figure out.

BTW, pushing the button when the unit is already on will toggle the display between odometer and tripmeter.

cheesy 08-09-2017 09:55 PM

I'll need to try the resistors you are using. Twas recommended I use 100 to 500 ohm and all I ever got was flashies.

Mine came with 3 magnets and I used two because I have ten bolts in my hub. I must have got them right the first time because my speed reading is steady.

Mudflap 08-10-2017 06:28 AM

Very good! About a 1 out of 4 chance of getting both magnets right the first time?

One of the settings is supposed to be for switching between a 100 ohm and 500 ohm sending unit but I didn't try that. Default is evidently the 100 ohm scale. I left the 10 ohm resistor in the circuit so it always shows a full tank of fuel and I'll never again have to visit the gas station again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 263309)
I'll need to try the resistors you are using. Twas recommended I use 100 to 500 ohm and all I ever got was flashies.

Mine came with 3 magnets and I used two because I have ten bolts in my hub. I must have got them right the first time because my speed reading is steady.

JerryHawk250 08-10-2017 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudflap (Post 263312)
Very good! About a 1 out of 4 chance of getting both magnets right the first time?

One of the settings is supposed to be for switching between a 100 ohm and 500 ohm sending unit but I didn't try that. Default is evidently the 100 ohm scale. I left the 10 ohm resistor in the circuit so it always shows a full tank of fuel and I'll never again have to visit the gas station again.

Another thing to be careful of is not to change from 1 cylinder to 2. if you do you will not be able to set it back to 1. I almost bought that same unit before I got the one I have now from Matt.

humanbeing 08-10-2017 09:04 AM

Chinglish instruction:
http://s28.postimg.cc/inuannjvx/fge1.gif
Anybody rewrite a better version ?

Mudflap 08-10-2017 09:31 AM

Mine is set on 2 cylinder but reads correctly. I suppose that's because of the lost spark system used on the CG engines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 263314)
Another thing to be careful of is not to change from 1 cylinder to 2. if you do you will not be able to set it back to 1. I almost bought that same unit before I got the one I have now from Matt.

JerryHawk250 08-10-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudflap (Post 263319)
Mine is set on 2 cylinder but reads correctly. I suppose that's because of the lost spark system used on the CG engines.

Good to know. :tup: I know other had issues after changing by accident and couldn't set it back to 1.

Mudflap 08-10-2017 09:37 AM

Mine came with no instructions or wiring diagram at all. The very limited instructions found on the internet are either for an older unit or a bad translation, for example one describes how to set the "Flat tire circumference."

Quote:

Originally Posted by humanbeing (Post 263317)
Chinglish instruction:
https://s28.postimg.org/inuannjvx/fge1.gif
Anybody rewrite a better version ?

Mudflap 08-10-2017 09:42 AM

Wasn't sure if Matt's unit would work on my Lifan just as I wasn't sure this one would work but I'd only be out $25 if it didn't. So far I'm happy with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 263314)

Weldangrind 08-10-2017 11:48 AM

Mudflap, does the gear indicator work? How did you connect the tach lead?

Mudflap 08-10-2017 12:14 PM

Gear indicator works. Just left the 6th gear wire from the speedo/tach loose. Connected the tach lead to the existing tach wire on the Lifan. Works great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 263328)
Mudflap, does the gear indicator work? How did you connect the tach lead?

cheesy 08-10-2017 03:17 PM

Second hardest thing I had to do on the Ural was the tach. It's the white wire on the Ducati ignition system.

The turn signals, sheesh!

cheesy 05-23-2018 06:52 AM

So, how’s yours working, Mudflap?

I’m fast approaching 5000 miles on mine and have had a couple of minor hiccups. Didn’t have the display come on a couple of times. Turning the ignition off and back on fixes that.

Did have an issue recently where I’d be doing 55mph and the speed display would drop to 28, then bounce all over, then settle down. And then do it all over again. Cleaning the accumulated winter crud off the magnets and the prox switch took care of that. Already ordered a pair of prox switches as spares, probably get some spare magnets, too.

Mudflap 05-23-2018 05:03 PM

Only problem with mine is it won't read over 65 mph unless I'm going down hill or have a tail wind. Working great.

cheesy 05-23-2018 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudflap (Post 280937)
Only problem with mine is it won't read over 65 mph unless I'm going down hill or have a tail wind. Working great.

Well, yeah. I have that same issue with mine.;)