ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Another New Hawk has arrived (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18364)

JMM 02-27-2017 08:55 PM

Another New Hawk has arrived

Came in today. Ordered it late Wednesday night (like 10pm EST). Shipped Thursday. And came in today. Got a black one. Will be on here for help and ideas like everyone else. Got it unpacked, and on the motorcycle jack. Battery is filled and on the charger. Made a list of everything I want/need to change out before I start to ride it.

And was tinkering around, and did the air box mod. Don't know how much of a difference it will make. Anyone else's intake tube come sort of "compressed" in the middle of the tube? Definitely going to be restrictive. Has anyone change out the tube from the carb to the box?

Thanks

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps2sfswpau.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...psyyvipr64.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...pspefxmb0c.jpg

wheelbender6 02-27-2017 09:21 PM

Air box mods are worth a try. Easily undone if it doesn't go well.

JMM 02-27-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelbender6 (Post 244754)
Air box mods are worth a try. Easily undone if it doesn't go well.

That's what I figured. And seeing how bad the intake tube is malformed, infigured the more air the better

Sir kayakalot 02-27-2017 09:45 PM

I did that exact mod to my air box. No regrets. Keep the pics coming

hertz9753 02-27-2017 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That is how the boot is shaped. I have pictures of pretty much everything.

letsride 02-27-2017 10:14 PM

Congrats on the New Hawk, where are you located? Who did you buy it from? Thats pretty FAST shipping. And yes thanks for the pics, keep em coming.

JMM 03-02-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letsride (Post 244768)
Congrats on the New Hawk, where are you located? Who did you buy it from? Thats pretty FAST shipping. And yes thanks for the pics, keep em coming.

Ordered it from "LowestPriceATVs.com", which is Ricky Motorsports. I'm located in Massachusetts, in the southeast part of the state, on the water. But I live on a dead end street. And if I open my gate in my backyard, it opens to miles and miles of woods and trails. So I don't have to travel far to ride, luckily!

tommy. 03-02-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMM (Post 245105)
Ordered it from "LowestPriceATVs.com", which is Ricky Motorsports. I'm located in Massachusetts, in the southeast part of the state, on the water. But I live on a dead end street. And if I open my gate in my backyard, it opens to miles and miles of woods and trails. So I don't have to travel far to ride, luckily!

Another Manny website. How many websites does this guy have? not including Ebay and Craigslist. A game of wack a mole, his website gets a bad name so he just opens up another website :ohno:

JMM 03-02-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy. (Post 245110)
Another Manny website. How many websites does this guy have? not including Ebay and Craigslist. A game of wack a mole, his website gets a bad name so he just opens up another website :ohno:

Ahhh I hope everything is ok with the bike. What's the complaints for him so far?

So, put the new Ngk plug in, from tire and brakes on, battery has been filled and charged. Got the quick connect battery tender I tossed on there as well. The little charging connecting just pops its little head out under the seat for a quick trickle charge while she sits,
Not being used. While doing this I noticed one of the forks is about 1" higher than the other. So I'll have to fix that before I finish. Everyone says to change the oil. I went and bought some new oil. Is it fine to start it up and warm it up with the oil it comes with? Or just ditch it right away?

Azhule 03-02-2017 04:15 PM

I would ditch the engine oil right away before you even start it... although some see "no harm" if the engine is running a few minutes to heat up while "under NO load" (not being ridden... just idle)...

It's what, $5 max for a quart of good name brand oil... the cheapest engine I can find to replace the stock one is almost $450 after shipping charges and it's not a "direct fit" (swap wires and regulator/rectifiers/cdi/etc.)...

I myself don't think the Chinese Engine Oil that came with the bike is worth a $445 gamble

JMM 03-02-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azhule (Post 245113)
I would ditch the engine oil right away before you even start it... although some see "no harm" if the engine is running a few minutes to heat up while "under NO load" (not being ridden... just idle)...

It's what, $5 max for a quart of good name brand oil... the cheapest engine I can find to replace the stock one is almost $450 after shipping charges and it's not a "direct fit" (swap wires and regulator/rectifiers/cdi/etc.)...

I myself don't think the Chinese Engine Oil that came with the bike is worth a $445 gamble

Makes perfect sense. I have a stupid question. The front axle bolt comes with the bolt, nut, and spacer. Where does the spacer go? Outside forks on the Left (brakes) side? Or was this just used for shipping? I'm guessing it needs to be used, correct?

JMM 03-02-2017 04:34 PM

And I've read the brake fluid should be changed out. Anyone else read and/or do this? It's super easy and I have a ton a brake fluid. Just didn't know if I'm wasting my time doing it...

Azhule 03-02-2017 04:38 PM

The front should be like every other motorcycle I have seen and worked on, usually looks something like

Spacer / Wheel / Speedometer pickup

I don't own a HAWK so I'm no help as to what it should actually look like

DOT 4 brake fluid will be your friend ;) just make sure you are using an unopened bottle every time... brake fluid is "hygroscopic" and absorbs water from the air

timcosby 03-02-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMM (Post 245115)
And I've read the brake fluid should be changed out. Anyone else read and/or do this? It's super easy and I have a ton a brake fluid. Just didn't know if I'm wasting my time doing it...

my break fluid is fine its a 2016

timcosby 03-02-2017 06:57 PM

also those forks go all the way down till the top is flush with the trees.