ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Official Maintenance intervals (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16654)

woodlandsprite 05-20-2016 12:27 PM

Official Maintenance intervals

I will volunteer to compile a table with recommended maintenance intervals if folks can help me identify what needs what and when.
As a new bike owner (and someone who does not wrench on my own car), memorizing maintenance intervals or digging up a tiny owners manual is not in my nature - I'd rather have an electronic document that I can reference or print out and keep in the garage.

I've noticed the tiny table in the owners manual is not clear, and actually seems to be in conflict with what is listed on some of the tutorials. In addition, it does not seem to be complete - perhaps assuming that whoever owns the bike has some semblance of knowledge on the care and feeding of motorcycles.

If you feel this is redundant/useless and already have knowledge of such a table or reference, I would very much appreciate if you point me where to go looking :) I don't want to inadvertently find myself missing some critical maintenance because I had no idea I was supposed to do it!

simonjester 05-20-2016 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 217240)
As a new bike owner (and someone who does not wrench on my own car), memorizing maintenance intervals or digging up a tiny owners manual is not in my nature - I'd rather have an electronic document that I can reference or print out and keep in the garage.

Me too! I think yours is an excellent idea! :thanks:

woodlandsprite 05-20-2016 10:16 PM

okay, Here is the Google Drive Sheet.

Comments welcome. Note this is over and above TCLOCS which you should be doing on some frequency ;)

I will update this periodically as things pop up.

dpl096 05-20-2016 11:14 PM

Looks good WLS!

BlackBike 05-20-2016 11:24 PM

Woodland...excellent work, you put good time and effort 8nto this sheet. Seems like csc should have something like this ,officially.

Is this stuff in an rx3 manual?

woodlandsprite 05-20-2016 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 217348)
Woodland...excellent work, you put good time and effort 8nto this sheet. Seems like csc should have something like this ,officially.

Is this stuff in an rx3 manual?

I started with what was in the manual and then referenced the online tutorials. I asked specifically if they had anything or if they would consider making such a document and they only pointed me back to the owners manual. I personally found the owners manual to be light and slim on detail, but ymmv.

SpudRider 05-21-2016 12:22 AM

Thanks for starting this thread, Sprite. ;)

I am glad to see you have the 3 most important, maintenance items listed.

Change engine oil every 2,000 miles
Check valve lash every 2,500 miles
Check crankshaft nut and locking tab @ 10,000 miles

SpudRider 05-21-2016 12:25 AM

You did a nice job on the spreadsheet, Sprite. :tup:

I would add the following items.

Change brake fluid in both brakes every two years.
Change spark plug every 10,000 miles.

woodlandsprite 05-21-2016 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 217361)

I would add the following items.

Change brake fluid in both brakes every two years.
Change spark plug every 10,000 miles.

Thanks Spud. Maybe I will add an additional line for brake fluid. I noted the fluid replace at every 2 yrs but I think a separate line would be more clear. Will add the note on the spark plug.

Any comments on suspension? In the owners manual there was a line for 'absorbers' and I can only guess that means the fork and rear shock.

I'll leave it to you if you want to add a link to your sticky post about maintenance. I'll publish the Google spreadsheet link once I finish fussing with it.

detours 05-21-2016 03:05 AM

That's great work sprite! Thanks for putting that together!

jbfla 05-21-2016 07:05 AM

The chart shows a wheel bearing inspection at 12,000 miles.

Considering Spud's broken wheel bearing, it might be prudent to inspect them more frequently,

.....perhaps at every tire change.

jb

madsocial 05-21-2016 07:46 AM

Sprite,

Are you able to make it a public Google Drive doc? Of course, I would probably not allow anyone to edit it but you, but if we had a link to it to a Google Drive doc, it is something we could all save and have access to. If there is anything that someone would want to recommend you add, they can do it from the doc with notes, which then you could clear or just post that info here for you.

I'm with you, I like digital docs! Having one place to see everything is awesome! Unlike you, yes I'm a girl, but i wrench on my cars. Wrenching on bikes to this degree is new to me. My husband is a airplane mechanic, and wrenching on bikes is new to him as well. However, there seems to be many things that are the same. At least when it comes to the tools needed to get the job done.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this. I personally appreciate it very much. Cheers!:thanks::tup::clap::yay:

SpudRider 05-21-2016 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfla (Post 217386)
The chart shows a wheel bearing inspection at 12,000 miles.

Considering Spud's broken wheel bearing, it might be prudent to inspect them more frequently,

.....perhaps at every tire change.

jb

Indeed, I always check my wheel bearings during every tire change. ;) However, I got 13,000 miles of wear from my Shinko S244 rear tire, so I think it is well to word the maintenance check in this manner.

Wheel Bearings: Inspect during every tire change, or every 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.

SpudRider 05-21-2016 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 217362)
...I'll leave it to you if you want to add a link to your sticky post about maintenance. I'll publish the Google spreadsheet link once I finish fussing with it.

Thanks for making this nice contribution to the forum, Sprite. I have added a link to this thread under the Maintenance subheading in the RX3 Tech Sticky. :tup:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...480#post175480

Regarding the forks, I would suggest changing the fork oil every 25,000 miles. The stock shock absorber is sealed, so it is a no-maintenance item. However, I would suggest setting the correct spring preload for the shock absorber immediately, upon delivery of the motorcycle. ;)

AZRider 05-21-2016 10:28 AM

Thanks Sprite, a great addition. Maybe a little tongue-in-cheek, but I would add a daily inspection of the RX-3 forum on ChinaRiders. Spud has done such an excellent job of collecting and disseminating information on our bike, that I need a daily read of the forums to keep up to date.