ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   The Transformation! (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18002)

S2wheels 01-04-2017 06:33 PM

The Transformation!

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a little something I'm working on. Enjoy.

S2wheels 01-04-2017 06:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pics.
Still gotta ways to go.

Krasi_BG 01-05-2017 02:38 AM

I sure hope that frame and front suspension will manage to cope with the "redistribution of masses" :)

S2wheels 01-05-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krasi_BG (Post 239866)
I sure hope that frame and front suspension will manage to cope with the "redistribution of masses" :)

Yes indeed....Plus I will be modding the forks. Making them fully adjustable. That's even if I decide to use them.

Weldangrind 01-05-2017 12:03 PM

That looks like a 250 Ninja motor; love it! I would have never thought of that swap. I would have gravitated towards a bigger GY6-based motor, but your idea is so much better.

ben2go 01-05-2017 12:21 PM

I hate pocket bikes but this peaks my interests.

S2wheels 01-05-2017 04:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 239897)
That looks like a 250 Ninja motor; love it! I would have never thought of that swap. I would have gravitated towards a bigger GY6-based motor, but your idea is so much better.

thank you, yes it is the kawi 250 motor and complete swingarm setup. I'm not gonna use the rear swingarm though. It weighs essay to much. So I'm gonna try the cbr250r swinger, hoping it's weighs less.
I did think about going with a bigger gy6 based motor. But since I love to race road course. I felt it would have severe limitations especially on tight tracks.
The Kawasaki motor offers the best bang for the bucks. That why I went with it it has more HP stock in the 250cc 4stroke class. Plus it was the cheapest in price and haven't changed much for years to year.
My other choice was gonna be this. A twin cylinder 600cc motor but it would've required more money and work.
50hp stock but it wouldn't have had no gearbox.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben2go (Post 239900)
I hate pocket bikes but this peaks my interests.

If it wasn't for my love of racing. I wouldn't have given them a second look. This though is about the size of a ysr/Honda grom.
I'm my opinion if you find one dirt cheap. It could be worth it to do a custom build. If you have a specific use in mind. So far including the price of this scooter. I have $800 in to this not including man hrs.

S2wheels 01-07-2017 04:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Didn't do much today, I put the fairings on. To get a visual on how the much the bottom of the motor. Sticks out underneath the belly pan. I will have to extend the belly pan a little bit. Once I put the headers on. They will stick out a little bit from underneath.
I also order 1 of the bigger wheels I hope to use. Only bought 1 because if it turns out. The 15in wheels are to big. I wouldn't lose out to much on the money side.
Need the larger wheel to help setup the front-end. Have to make sure I have plenty of room the the headers and radiator.
This swingarm will not be used. It is much to heavy to be used for anything besides a boat anchor.. I'm gonna try the cbr250r swingarm setup.

dh 01-07-2017 08:48 PM

That's a nice little bike!!! Is it going to be street legal?

S2wheels 01-08-2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dh (Post 240131)
That's a nice little bike!!! Is it going to be street legal?

thanks...
I'm really not to interested in getting it registered. I'm guessing that if I did. It would still be tagged as a scooter/moped.
If I get the itch to get it registered. I would like to try and get tag as a custom bike of some sorts. So that way it wouldn't fall under the 30mph and no gearing rule.
Other than that, being built for some trackday fun. I love being on the tracks and racing.

Weldangrind 01-08-2017 07:26 PM

The bodywork covers the motor nicely. Nobody would know what you're packin'.

S2wheels 01-09-2017 05:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So I got in the bigger wheel. 15in dual discs on the rear. It looks like its supposed to be. On the front the wheel looks like its eating the bike. A little to big. So I came to the conclusion a 14in wheel probably would've been better.....lol So I chalk this up to a $100 mistake.
I will continue to use this wheel to help finish the bike. Then go down to a smaller wheel.

BlackBike 01-09-2017 07:01 PM

S2... could you link the original bike. What was the original engine displacement? Thanks

S2wheels 01-10-2017 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 240276)
S2... could you link the original bike. What was the original engine displacement? Thanks

It was a 50cc 4stroke scooter originally.
http://wholesaleatv.com/product/49cc-dongfang-sst/

BlackBike 01-11-2017 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2wheels (Post 240302)
It was a 50cc 4stroke scooter originally.
http://wholesaleatv.com/product/49cc-dongfang-sst/

Thats disgusting. Remarkable what you have done with it.

S2wheels 01-11-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 240373)
Thats disgusting. Remarkable what you have done with it.

thanks....

Lol yeah it's sad but I understand why they did it. They couldn't sell it as a motorcycle in the US. So they made it a scooter instead...lol

Weldangrind 01-16-2017 11:12 PM

That's a 15" on the front in the most recent pics? I think it's well-proportioned.

Azhule 01-16-2017 11:17 PM

The ultimate sleeper ;)

"Yeah it's (it was) a 50cc China Scooter/Moped/Pocket Bike"... all they see is your tail lights disappearing shortly after :D

culcune 01-17-2017 11:22 AM

Excellent work on the bike! Like the rest, cannot wait to see the final product...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 240276)

Taotao has gotten into the 'race' scooter game with a new bike. Actually, they sold one that looked like the Dongfang up to last year. This new one is not as fugly looking as the Dongfang bike, except, look at the rear wheel! YIKES!!!??? :wtf:

http://taotao.us/index.cfm/electric-vehicles/racer501/

S2wheels 01-17-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 240830)
Excellent work on the bike! Like the rest, cannot wait to see the final product...

Taotao has gotten into the 'race' scooter game with a new bike. Actually, they sold one that looked like the Dongfang up to last year. This new one is not as fugly looking as the Dongfang bike, except, look at the rear wheel! YIKES!!!??? :wtf:

http://taotao.us/index.cfm/electric-vehicles/racer501/

thank you...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 240776)
That's a 15" on the front in the most recent pics? I think it's well-proportioned.

thank you, yes it is I have some newer pics. I did a mock up of the belly pan extension. I'm gonna have to extend it for the underslung exhaust. It also helps me come to terms with the 15"s.
I figured I'll run 2 different setups. If I'm at a kart track that's smaller with tight turns. I'll put on the 14" wheels. If I'm go to a larger kart track. Where I can get the bike up to speed. Then I'll use the 15" wheels for more stability at higher speeds, even on full sized tracks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azhule (Post 240777)
The ultimate sleeper ;)

"Yeah it's (it was) a 50cc China Scooter/Moped/Pocket Bike"... all they see is your tail lights disappearing shortly after :D

LOL it's funny you say this. Back where I use to live. When I want to test my modded 165cc bike. To see how it ran at top speed. I'd get on the local road and go for it. Sometimes car in front would try to leave me. I'd be stuck to there bumper like glue. If I had a car behind me trying to keep up. I'd leave them in a dust, the road had some great turns. I always had on slicks so I plus I never had to touch the brakes....LOL
By the time I'd reach the end of the 2 mile stretch. I would sit at the light waiting for them.... The look on the faces was priceless. I had the bike geared for short track so it got to 65mph reeeeeaaaaallllll fast. And I always felt it need another gear...lol

S2wheels 01-17-2017 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did a mock up of the belly pan extension design I might go with. It won't be final till I finish the plumbing for the underslung exhaust.

BlackBike 01-17-2017 08:10 PM

This is getting interesting, a Superbike out of a moped!

S2wheels 01-20-2017 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 240876)
This is getting interesting, a Superbike out of a moped!

I hope so....lol If I don't get this thing to work on the race tracks. Then I wont be a happy camper at all....

S2wheels 01-20-2017 02:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So I started the mock up for the upper front engine mount. Gonna try and finish the upper mount this weekend.

Also got in the cbr250r rear swinger. I was right it was lighter in weight than the kawi's. Problem is it doesn't fit right in place and I will have to modify it.

culcune 01-21-2017 12:24 AM

You have proven that there is some good looking bike under the stock fugly things! Thank you!!

timcosby 01-27-2017 03:01 PM

wonder which swingarm would be stronger? i ask because back in 1977 i was on a 77 650 kz1 comming thru a wide sweeping curve at 125 and the swingarm wasnt strong enough and i got the dreaded back wheel wiggle... not fun at that speed..pucker factor 110% it quit by the time i got down to 100 but i decide not to try that again.

S2wheels 01-29-2017 08:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 241167)
You have proven that there is some good looking bike under the stock fugly things! Thank you!!

Thank you... I always like to share when I think I have something worth sharing. In hopes to give ideas and to get feedback also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by timcosby (Post 241618)
wonder which swingarm would be stronger? i ask because back in 1977 i was on a 77 650 kz1 comming thru a wide sweeping curve at 125 and the swingarm wasnt strong enough and i got the dreaded back wheel wiggle... not fun at that speed..pucker factor 110% it quit by the time i got down to 100 but i decide not to try that again.

Could come from low tire pressure in the rear tire also. Not that the tire pressure was noticeably low. But low enough for the tire to flex enough at that angle.
I do know the swingarms that I have selected will be strong enough. Since they were designed and built for much heavier/bigger bikes. With that said also presents a bit of a problem for me. Since I'm also concerned about weight.
So I decided to go with the xr250 rear swingarm. It's is the lightest of the 3. Plus it is just as strong so I'm happy about this.
I had the cbr250r swinger already to do some work to it. But I just couldn't because I felt the need to go with a lighter swingarm.
To some pics for visual....I will be cutting the xr250 swinger down some. Where the original axle goes through. Then make new slotted axle holes. The axle adjusters will slide inside the swingarm with end caps.

S2wheels 01-29-2017 08:28 AM

Almost forgot,this is the track I plan on going to when the bike is finished. Should be a lot of fun...lol

https://youtu.be/g38_HYbmFVY

wheelbender6 01-29-2017 09:11 AM

You are building a real beast.

S2wheels 01-30-2017 03:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelbender6 (Post 241707)
You are building a real beast.

Thank you.. This is what I'm hoping it to do....
On that note, slight correction swingarm is from a yz250 not xr250. I had xr250 on the brain when I was searching..
Gonna use the cbr250r rear shock linkage... Got the rear wheel coming in soon.

S2wheels 02-08-2017 04:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Not much done lately. Got the other wheel in the other day.
Still trying to come up with the best way possible. To make sure I have holes for the swingarm pivot bolt. Absolutely dead on accurate on both sides.
I think I'm gonna work from one side. Then make a template from that side. Then use it to setup the other side.

S2wheels 02-12-2017 08:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Started working with some forks today. I was working on a set/modifying them. Got a little ticked off so I went a set of adjustable dampening ones I had on hand. I still have to MOD these up some. But I am loving the look and the lower front-end. This is what I was gonna do when all was said and done. This is the ride height I want for racing. Still good for street if I can get it tagged.

BlackBike 02-13-2017 01:12 AM

These side view proportions are actually looking good. Can't wait till you register it as a 50cc scooter.:lmao::yay::D

S2wheels 02-13-2017 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 243080)
These side view proportions are actually looking good. Can't wait till you register it as a 50cc scooter.:lmao::yay::D

No way if I can't get tagged as a custom built. Then I will not get it registered. Though it would be quicker and easier to get tagged as a scooter. It would probably a month tops. I get my first speeding ticket...lol it's 55mph the speed limit on the road I live off of. Cant see myself doing 35mph in accordance to the law for scooters in my state. Lol

S2wheels 05-10-2017 07:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So I've become obsessed with the forks. I finally decided on these. I re-sprung them and changed the fluid. These are the forks I'm gonna use. Later I will shorten them up. Planning on starting on the rear shock hopefully this weekend.
Bike in the back is about the size of a from. I didn't put the 12" wheels on yet and it's lowered.

S2wheels 05-10-2017 07:56 PM

The forks are fully adjustable as well.

Weldangrind 05-11-2017 12:44 AM

What are the forks off of?

S2wheels 05-11-2017 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 255392)
What are the forks off of?

The front-end is from an 06 gsxr600.

S2wheels 11-08-2017 04:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Alright still at it and constantly changing things....lol
Waiting on some more parts. Hopefully get to do some work this weekend.
Light weight racing rims, back tire pretty wide though. Still has a very nice crown to it. Should be very good on the tracks. Tire feels pretty grippy.
I plan on working on the rear hub setup this weekend.

JerryHawk250 11-08-2017 04:41 PM

Welcome back, I was wondering what happen to this project. Looks great.:tup: