ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Ride Reports (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Too hot to ride (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17283)

pistolclass 08-14-2016 03:34 PM

Too hot to ride

It is just too hot to ride for me in CT. I don't know how you guys do it in hotter climates. Yesterday it hit 99 on the thermometer. And it was humid. The "real feel" temp was 108. It rained a bit and just made it more humid. Perfect riding temp for me is about 70-80. I can wear gear and move around.

snobnd16 08-14-2016 03:47 PM

I feel your pain . I live in south Alabama and want to install Carb , exhaust , adjust valves , sprockets and tune my new bike . Just to hot and humid to do that . I don't like to ride without gear ( jacket , boots , gloves etc.. ) but to hot to gear up for a nice afternoon ride . My next off day I will just have to sweat my butt off and try to enjoy the ride .

simonjester 08-14-2016 04:24 PM

I hear ya. I try to ride in the morning when it's not so hot and where I am it's a dry climate, so an evaporative cooling vest helps too. :D

tonyson 08-14-2016 08:32 PM

It's 5:30pm and 99 deg. Liike snobnd16, I don't ride without gear. I'll probably ride at 8pm.

culcune 08-14-2016 08:34 PM

When I leave for my 16 mile commute to work in the morning, it is about 85 F. On the way home it is about 105 F to 110 F with a few day of 115 F+. I used to do it on my TMEC 200 enduro, but now am on my TGB scooter. I just have to do it if I want a low-cost commute/low cost commuter vehicle. It's only for about 5 or 6 months out of the year, LOL...

pistolclass 08-14-2016 10:17 PM

you guys are warriors. my accountant butt needs to be in an AC vehicle for my 20 mile commute... oh and a coffee... and a doughnut never hurts either.

BlackBike 08-14-2016 11:31 PM

Culcune... hats off to ya.

It's fun to push it but I have to tell myself to think and remember when fatigue sets in risk increases.

It's amazing what a difference it makes even between 100f and 95f.

tonyson 08-15-2016 12:35 AM

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/...psmqju7j6v.png

culcune 08-15-2016 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 228283)
Culcune... hats off to ya.

It's fun to push it but I have to tell myself to think and remember when fatigue sets in risk increases.

It's amazing what a difference it makes even between 100f and 95f.

The prison unit I leave at the end of the day has air-conditioning like you wouldn't believe--I actually wear a sweatshirt it's so cold in my classroom. When I leave at 3:30, I leave the sweatshirt on for the ride home so as to not get sunburned!

I am actually riding because I have to--I could not afford a car solely for me and my commute; these Chinese bikes make the perfect choice, although my Taiwanese TGB has been an exception to the Chinese part.

2LZ 08-15-2016 05:51 PM

I don't know how you guys in the humidity do it. I rode in 102' this weekend for a good chunk of the day but it's dry. I had no problems. The humidity makes it an entirely different game.

I went to my nephews wedding in Jacksonville many years ago and my sister was complaining that it would be 85' for a rose garden wedding. I said, "That's perfect!"...then I walked out into a sauna. It was awful. I was in my suit and had a little hair gel in for the family pics and that gel landed on my shoulders in a rodeo 8 seconds. I just started pouring sweat.

Yep....humidity. An entirely different heat game.

BlackBike 08-15-2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 228389)
I don't know how you guys in the humidity do it. I rode in 102' this weekend for a good chunk of the day but it's dry. I had no problems. The humidity makes it an entirely different game.

I went to my nephews wedding in Jacksonville many years ago and my sister was complaining that it would be 85' for a rose garden wedding. I said, "That's perfect!"...then I walked out into a sauna. It was awful. I was in my suit and had a little hair gel in for the family pics and that gel landed on my shoulders in a rodeo 8 seconds. I just started pouring sweat.

Yep....humidity. An entirely different heat game.

:lmao:

ride in circles at red lights to keep cool :D:D

AdventureDad 08-15-2016 09:44 PM

Try riding in south Mississippi this time of year.... this past week my "feels like" weather was 119F. It was 96 with 72% humidity. I swear it was raining from the ground up. I lost about half my body's water cutting my grass and my neighbors with my push mower... and I'm used to it. As a basis of comparison, I grew up in SoCal, and New Mexico, so I know very well the beauty of dry heat as well.

pistolclass 08-15-2016 10:08 PM

I have some coworkers that travel to India regularly and they felt 114 deg They said it felt like a giant hair dryer on them. I'm slated to go next year so I get to feel 110 plug deg of dry heat. yay me... not. They said the nights cooled to 80 deg, and it felt very comfortable. Here 80 degree nights with humidity just plain sucks.

The heat and humidity is set to break around Wednesday so I will be back in the saddle then No commuting though, driving skills halfway between boston and NYC is a scarce resource. I drive a dodge 2500 so I win the physics contest if someone decided to hit me.

One day I will be where it is less populated so I can ride more freely, currently the Hawk is caged to trails, my property or my in laws farm. The roads, for me, are just to get to the trails.

BlackBike 08-16-2016 12:07 AM

word to ya Mississippi.

i call it summer...

SeerAtlas 08-16-2016 03:03 AM

been too wet here, rain city.
when wasn't raining, heat index up to 117, no thanks.
got to watch some olympics tho.:)
retirement not entirely bad :)