ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   ATVs (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Tao Tao Rhino 250 Clutch (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20464)

ttrider24 01-04-2018 08:49 PM

Tao Tao Rhino 250 Clutch

Hey guys,

I had my tao tao out today in the snow, have a plow on it and was trying to do some work. After a little while of using it the clutch was giving me troubles, then all of the sudden it just stopped working completely. Now I am able to change gears without pulling the clutch at all. Seems like either the clutch is stuck all the way in or its completely broken.

Its essentially acting as if I have pulled the clutch in all the time. I can start it while in any gear without holding the clutch and nothing else is working. It starts and runs fine just wont do anything when trying to drive it.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Adjuster 01-04-2018 10:42 PM

Did you check the cable and linkage? Is it frozen/stuck engaged?

/

ttrider24 01-04-2018 10:47 PM

I looked at the end of the clutch cable and can see the clutch lever being moved. It moves what seems to be properly. I would say it pivots an inch when I pull the clutch and goes back when I release it. I tried pushing the clutch lever father then where it rests but it won't go any further so I'm assuming it's properly released and there doesn't appear to be any extra slack when I release the lever so it's not like it's being stopped.

Mudflap 01-05-2018 05:55 AM

I suppose you could have burned up the clutch. Try removing the dip stick and smelling the oil. Does it smell burnt?

Stock gearing on the Rhino is too tall to do serious work like pushing snow IMO.

If the clutch is burned up you'll need to replace it, change the oil, and clean the oil screen and centrifugal filter. Complete clutch assemblies are cheap and a new set of clutch plates are even cheaper. Easy job too.

JerryHawk250 01-05-2018 08:10 AM

You may have worn the clutch or burnt it. As Mudflap stated check the oil for burnt smell. Did you adjust the clutch lever? It should have at least 1/8" play.

ttrider24 01-05-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudflap (Post 271534)
I suppose you could have burned up the clutch. Try removing the dip stick and smelling the oil. Does it smell burnt?

Stock gearing on the Rhino is too tall to do serious work like pushing snow IMO.

If the clutch is burned up you'll need to replace it, change the oil, and clean the oil screen and centrifugal filter. Complete clutch assemblies are cheap and a new set of clutch plates are even cheaper. Easy job too.

I purchased a whole new clutch assembly but while I'm waiting for that to come in I got to thinking. I'm essentially getting no power to the wheels at all. Could it be a transmission issue? It really feels like something is not connected because I am able to change gears without touching the clutch. But regardless of the gear I get no power since it's acting as if it's in neutral or like the clutch lever is being pulled in at all times.

ttrider24 01-29-2018 03:02 PM

Going to have to revive this thread. I got the clutch in, got a manual to be able to take the engine apart, I got to the clutch but i cant get the gear off that is blocking it, i believe its the oil pump. I tried using the tool that is supposed to take off the castle like nut that is holding it down but no matter what i try it wont come off. I've managed to break the lug nut removal tool before the thing even budged.

Am i doing something wrong here? (obviously)

JerryHawk250 01-29-2018 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttrider24 (Post 272819)
Going to have to revive this thread. I got the clutch in, got a manual to be able to take the engine apart, I got to the clutch but i cant get the gear off that is blocking it, i believe its the oil pump. I tried using the tool that is supposed to take off the castle like nut that is holding it down but no matter what i try it wont come off. I've managed to break the lug nut removal tool before the thing even budged.

Am i doing something wrong here? (obviously)

I'm assuming you are turning it counterclockwise to remove? it shouldn't be that tight.