ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Installed a one finger clutch lever. Need a little more pull on clutch. (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=27450)

SirKng 10-06-2020 09:12 AM

Installed a one finger clutch lever. Need a little more pull on clutch.

Hey all. I just installed a one finger clutch lever on my SSR XF250. It seems to be working the way I have it right now. But I need a little bit more disengagement on the clutch. It doesn't have as much as I would like. I have the clutch cable adjusted to almost at the end at the engine side. My question is if I can re-clock the arm on the engine just a little bit to get a little bit more disengagement. I only need about a 1/16" or so just by eyeballing it compared to the stock lever.

JerryHawk250 10-06-2020 09:22 AM

That's what i would do. :tup:

franque 10-06-2020 09:22 AM

I'm not sure what you mean? More disengagement, as in a longer cable, effectively? You have everything turned in all of the way to make it the longest effective length possible?

SirKng 10-06-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franque (Post 347113)
I'm not sure what you mean? More disengagement, as in a longer cable, effectively? You have everything turned in all of the way to make it the longest effective length possible?

Shorter actually. I've pulled as much slack as I can out of the cable as I can. It works but I do not have much freeplay at the lever. I basically need some free play while being able to fully disengage the clutch without bottoming out on the grip like the old lever. The old lever would bottom out too but I did not need to pull it as far to disengage completely. If that makes more sense.

franque 10-06-2020 10:00 AM

It's not really clear to me, you're saying two contradictory things. Freeplay refers to the amount of slack in the cable at the bar.

If you're not pulling enough cable for the clutch to work properly, you have too much freeplay and you need a shorter cable, effectively. If it's pulling more than needed (hence not enough freeplay), just turn the adjuster in.

You need a modicum of freeplay to be able to run the bike with out the clutch slipping/being partially disengaged.

Which one is it?

SirKng 10-06-2020 10:19 AM

I have all the free play adjusted out at the lever to get the clutch to work properly. With the correct amount of free play at the lever the clutch lever does not pull the clutch far enough even if I bottom out the lever on the grip. I need to get the free play back and have full clutch operation as well without needing to bottom out the lever on the grip. I think I need a shorter cable but I can't find one right now. I want to know if re-clocking the clutch arm on the engine will be able to effectively "shorten" the cable and allow me to have correct free play as well as full clutch operation.

franque 10-06-2020 10:27 AM

It could work, is it on a splined arm? Also, is there an adjustment where the clutch cable goes to the engine?

SirKng 10-06-2020 11:27 AM

Yes. The arm looks like it is splined. My service manual states to reference how the arm is installed when removing it. There is an adjustment at the engine too. I had to max that out too.

franque 10-06-2020 11:57 AM

If it's splined, I'd say go for it.

SirKng 10-06-2020 01:58 PM

Two votes for re-clocking the arm. Will report with results after I get it done!

SirKng 10-06-2020 08:04 PM

So I tried re-clocking it. It did allow me to get the free play at the lever but it still wasn't working right. Then the threads inside the perch stripped out after installing it on the bar... I'm gonna return it. I decided to cut my stock lever to use with two fingers. It seems to work pretty good that way too. I wanted to get the lever to work. It had pretty smooth action and isn't sloppy like my stock lever... Oh well.