ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Local Shop sells 2 - Which One to Get? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=33480)

Christina Rae 11-06-2023 07:21 AM

Local Shop sells 3 - Which One to Get?

Hello!
Brand new here, and brand new to the sport, so yay me!

I am looking for a dual sport to commute to work mostly. 9 miles each way, on back roads of MA, no faster than 55. With the occasional "Oooh, look at that wicked fun fire road in NH!" Nothing serious. I am not a wrench turner by any means, I hire people to fix stuff for me! My car, my Boat! HA!

I want to get my first bike, but because of family, bills life, my boat and classic car, I need to keep it affordable, which is what attracted me to the China Bikes!

So, there is a motorsports dealer in my area that actually stocks ( meaning, they can always get them) and sells THREE different kinds...the TAO TAO TBR7D and the BMS Enduro, and Vitacci Raven.. I've checked them online and they seem pretty much the same.

They said they upgrade the Carbs and some other parts even before they put them on the showroom.

Yes, I will pay a little more for a fully assembled and checked over bike, but still under 2500! But the piece of mind knowing it was done RIGHT is worth it to me!

Of those two, which one would you recommend and Why?

Thanks!

Thumper 11-06-2023 08:59 AM

You are lucky to find a local shop that sells, and therefore will service (!) these Chinese bikes. Lucky! But, I don't think that they are basically the same. Ask them who makes the BMS. Is it Bashan? Those front forks are inverted, which means that they are stiffer and this will be a more stable ride, particularly in the woods, but also at speed on the road.

Maybe ask their opinion. Personally, I suspect that the BMS is a better bike. I bought a TBR7 and we had lots of issues with it. The left footpeg actually fell off the first time I swung a leg over the bike! The snorkel (rubber intake/air filter housing) was glued in crooked, causing a major fold, impeding air flow. The battery was the wrong size, didn't fit, and a couple of other problems. Sold it.

My first Chinese bike was a Bashan Storm. My son rides it now. Very durable and comfortable. It has the inverted front forks.

JerryHawk250 11-06-2023 10:02 AM

I would go with the BMS Enduro. Bashan make a good quality bike.

McQueen216 11-06-2023 10:22 AM

Neither will do you wrong; they are different bikes built around different engines. The BMS is on a CG250 which is a classic Honda engine design. One I love.
I see the comments from others about reasons to run from / not head to the TBR7, but I have always liked / ❤️ the classic Honda engines (I own three, and just two actual Hondas) and came close to risking my marriage earlier this year when there was a BMS for sale not too far away at a fire sale price.

[EDIT - Shoot. I own three Hondas. I have a frame for a ‘74? Honda CB500 in the back of the garage. No title, so… does that even count?]

Christina Rae 11-06-2023 10:28 AM

Thanks for the replys so far! See my updated post. That dealer told me can also get the Vitaccia Raven.

He orders them, Builds them, Tests Them, Upgrades and then sells.

JerryHawk250 11-06-2023 10:41 AM

The BMS enduro will be the better bike with the USD forks. The Raven has the thin forks like the Hawk.

Christina Rae 11-06-2023 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 401291)
The BMS enduro will be the better bike with the USD forks. The Raven has the thin forks like the Hawk.

I do like the BMS. Good point. They also have KAYO available. Looks like only option there is a T4?? A bit more $$ but very nice looking

JerryHawk250 11-06-2023 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christina Rae (Post 401292)
I do like the BMS. Good point. They also have KAYO available. Looks like only option there is a T4?? A bit more $$ but very nice looking

The Kayo is definitely an upgrade and higher quality.

Christina Rae 11-06-2023 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 401294)
The Kayo is definitely an upgrade and higher quality.

are those street legal though? Their website says "Competition Use only"

JerryHawk250 11-06-2023 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christina Rae (Post 401295)
are those street legal though? Their website says "Competition Use only"

No. Although in some states members have been able to get some of these off road bikes registered and Tagged like i did with my Hawk 250.

The Lifan KPX 250 is a street legal bike. It's has a true 250cc engine that puts out 20 hp and has a 6 speed transmission. Venom Motorsports does offer assembly and will be less the the Kayo.

Christina Rae 11-06-2023 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 401298)
No. Although in some states members have been able to get some of these off road bikes registered and Tagged like i did with my Hawk 250.

on the Kayo website, they show the T4 230 with mirrors, headlight and signals. And, that particular one does NOT say competition only... HMMMM

JerryHawk250 11-06-2023 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christina Rae (Post 401300)
on the Kayo website, they show the T4 230 with mirrors, headlight and signals. And, that particular one does NOT say competition only... HMMMM

That's why i suggested the Lifan KPX 250. It is a street legal bike. It's has a true 250cc engine that puts out 20 hp and has a 6 speed transmission. Venom Motorsports does offer assembly and will be less the the Kayo.

Christina Rae 11-06-2023 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 401301)
That's why i suggested the Lifan KPX 250. It is a street legal bike. It's has a true 250cc engine that puts out 20 hp and has a 6 speed transmission. Venom Motorsports does offer assembly and will be less the the Kayo.

Beginning to agree. That's a nice ride. And there's another dealer not to far from me where I can get one!

JerryHawk250 11-06-2023 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christina Rae (Post 401305)
Beginning to agree. That's a nice ride. And there's another dealer not to far from me where I can get one!

Well that great. At least you can see one in person and test out.

Christina Rae 11-06-2023 01:17 PM

I've pretty much narrowed it down to :

Lifan or BMS
Both are available through dealers near me