ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Burning plastic smell? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16817)

surfndirt 06-09-2016 06:41 PM

Burning plastic smell?

Last few days I've noticed a faint burning plastic kinda smell from the bike, I'm at 2000 mi., not sure what it is. Seems to be centered under the gas tank / engine area, not exhaust. It isn't something I'm very worried about because it's nothing crazy strong...but I'll probably take the seat off and poke around this weekend. :hmm:

On an unrelated note - I skipped the 500 mi valve check...planning to just do it at 2500mi. Have anyones valves ended up not needed adjustment?

rtking 06-09-2016 07:54 PM

Surfndirt - not sure how many miles you have on the bike. If fairly new, it could just be some oils that is burning off. But still worthwhile to check under the seat, just in case whether new or it has a few miles.

First thing I would check is that nothing is coming in contact with the header and mid-pipe. There is a fuel vapor cannister above the mid-pipe (and behind the thick steel frame member on the right side of the bike). Check to make sure that hasn't dropped down and contact the mid pipe. If that's well clear of the the exhaust pipe, then check around the engine for any wires or fuel lines that may be contacting the engine. Hopefully you'll be able to identify, isolate and resolve the problem if something is contacting the engine or exhaust pipe.

Aleong1967 06-10-2016 12:53 AM

On mine I found a venting tube at the bottom of the gas tank running to evaporation canister, kinked and laying on top of the exhaust pipe.
It was burnt, but luckily not completely through
Will have to get CSC replace under warranty or if I am nice replace it myself with some car vacuum tubing

pyoungbl 06-10-2016 09:00 AM

When I checked my valves @ 600 miles they were all so tight that I could not get a .04mm feeler between the valve stem and rocker. That seems to be pretty common for the first check. The risk is that clearance will go to zero and you burn the valves or eat up the cam. Good luck.

2LZ 06-10-2016 10:24 AM

Like others said here, I'd pull the seat and check it out. Lift the tank up too and see if there's anything not in its right place. They jam a ton of hoses and wires under that tank.

I'd check the valves. It seems everyone's have been tight but mine, or those who have posted so far. Three out of four of mine were at .08mm but I'm glad I checked them. I didn't want to eat up the cam.

detours 06-10-2016 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyoungbl (Post 220470)
When I checked my valves @ 600 miles they were all so tight that I could not get a .04mm feeler between the valve stem and rocker. That seems to be pretty common for the first check. The risk is that clearance will go to zero and you burn the valves or eat up the cam. Good luck.

Exactly, don't wait till 2500 miles. In many ways the first check is the most important because everything is wearing in. You need to make sure the clearances are correct and that the locknuts are good and tight.

surfndirt 06-10-2016 05:40 PM

Alright guys, I'll get on that valve adjustmen asap!!

And turns out...that's where my vinyl rain pant went...onto the exhaust header, that's a relief!

Lee R 06-11-2016 09:16 AM

I'd echo what everyone else said, check those valves. Both my intake valves were very tight at 500 miles. I think you'd risk damage waiting until 2500.

surfndirt 06-11-2016 09:28 AM

Dang, she's been running fine. Just got some stuff I'll need, I'll be doing it tomorrow morning :V

rtking 06-11-2016 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfndirt (Post 220622)
Dang, she's been running fine. Just got some stuff I'll need, I'll be doing it tomorrow morning :V

Good luck on the valve job. Take your time and take plenty of breaks!

Glad to read that the burning smell was remnant vinyl from another source instead of the bike!

dpl096 06-11-2016 11:29 AM

Good luck on the valve adjustment :tup:

surfndirt 06-11-2016 01:42 PM

How long has it taken yall first time around? From what I've read, the most time consuming part is taking everything off. A buddy of mine who's a honda/suzuki/kawi dealership mechanic will be supervising me for the adjustment part.

Ron B 06-11-2016 04:17 PM

Supervise hell!!! Throw a beer in his hand and tell him to get at it!

rtking 06-11-2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron B (Post 220705)
Supervise hell!!! Throw a beer in his hand and tell him to get at it!

LOL! :lol:

Lee R 06-11-2016 11:08 PM

It takes about 3-5 hours for the first check. I take my time and clean up parts under the tank and have a good look around while I've got the panels off.

Honestly the panels come off really quick and easy on this bike, 15 minutes and everything's off and tanks tipped back so the valves are accessible. I don't remove the tank I just rotate it and tip it sideways with everything connected on a towel where the battery is then bungie it down so it doesn't fall off.

I spend the majority of the time trying to get feeler gauges into the exhaust valves.

I did the second check on mine today, 3000 miles on the bike and all 4 were at .04mm. They were all set at .08mm at 500 miles. I'll be sticking to 2500 mile checks until I see those things settle down, 5000 seems a bit too long.