ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Valve cover clearance question (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16485)

BlackBike 04-28-2016 06:11 PM

Valve cover clearance question

1 Attachment(s)
Valve cover clearrence?
I don't have clearance to get the valve cover off, it's hitting top frame can't move the top in any way to get it off. Do I have to drop the motor?
Attachment 5642

Azhule 04-28-2016 06:49 PM

Can you turn it slightly 'clockwise'? I know this is the "Storm" model in this video but it has a tight space and is shown removing the cover around the 3 min mark :tup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnpI9ObYYVo

Mudflap 04-28-2016 06:56 PM

Try turning the crankshaft so the rockers move into a different position.

mq1991 04-28-2016 07:20 PM

Mine required a little fanagaling, but it came out without much trouble. Try pulling it out towards you and rotating it down, it should come out. Ill try and get a video of mine tonight.

SpudRider 04-28-2016 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudflap (Post 214159)
Try turning the crankshaft so the rockers move into a different position.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mq1991 (Post 214164)
Mine required a little fanagaling, but it came out without much trouble. Try pulling it out towards you and rotating it down, it should come out. Ill try and get a video of mine tonight.

I agree with these two gentlemen. ;) Turn the crankshaft to TDC on the compression stroke; this will release any pressure from the camshaft on the valve rockers. Then pull and rotate the valve cover until it comes free.

BlackBike 04-29-2016 01:09 AM

Yes, I didn't think of this, I was going fast and needed to attend a vfd meeting.

Tomorrow, will turn the crank and twist and turn it every which way to Sunday to get it off. There must be a solution since this is a common procedure needed. It would be crazy if they designed it this way. yes, will pull the plug first!

bogieboy 04-29-2016 05:37 AM

on my roketa to drop the valve cover, i have to pull the front bolts out of the engeine from the frame so the whole assembly can drop down an inch to get it out....

pistolclass 04-29-2016 06:59 AM

Do you recommend doing this before you start you hawk for the first time? Is it OK to do on a cold engine?

Azhule 04-29-2016 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolclass (Post 214227)
Do you recommend doing this before you start you hawk for the first time? Is it OK to do on a cold engine?

Yes and yes.

Check and set the valves before you start/ride the bike for the first time.

Adjusting the valves on a "Cold" engine, I let the engine 'cool' overnight and set them in the morning when it's nice and cold :tup:

2LZ 04-29-2016 10:14 AM

Man....I've never seen a Hondoid so tight. My X-Moto is virtually identical to your bike and I can wiggle it out of there. I'd drop the front bolt, as suggested and let it drop down a little. This will be a good excuse to check every motor mount for tightness when you're done.

BlackBike 04-29-2016 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 214235)
Man....I've never seen a Hondoid so tight. My X-Moto is virtually identical to your bike and I can wiggle it out of there. I'd drop the front bolt, as suggested and let it drop down a little. This will be a good excuse to check every motor mount for tightness when you're done.

Will get to this later today hopefully here is another pic of the entire motor on this Bashan blaze. I am just posting this because this may be a bike to stray from is this is a real maintenance issue.
Attachment 5647

2LZ 04-29-2016 12:41 PM

Didn't realize you had a balance shaft motor! Cool!
I took my plastic louvers off and tossed them on the shelf, years ago. The little rods never did fit correctly with the tank shroud and buzzed like hell. If yours fit, may as well keep 'em. I wasn't sure if they were for aesthetics more than any actual cooling value.

BlackBike 04-29-2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 214261)
Didn't realize you had a balance shaft motor! Cool!
I took my plastic louvers off and tossed them on the shelf, years ago. The little rods never did fit correctly with the tank shroud and buzzed like hell. If yours fit, may as well keep 'em. I wasn't sure if they were for aesthetics more than any actual cooling value.

Balancer or not, pising me off will have to drop motor for cover removal. Then do will grind everything to make clearence. What a pain

Also the clip mod did not have notches . If you fly out tonight sacramento to San Antonio flight will pick up at airport haha only 5hrs flight

Hopefully will have help here in a bit

2LZ 04-29-2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 214276)
Balancer or not, pising me off will have to drop motor for cover removal. Then do will grind everything to make clearence. What a pain

Also the clip mod did not have notches . If you fly out tonight sacramento to San Antonio flight will pick up at airport haha only 5hrs flight

Hopefully will have help here in a bit

Dropping a bolt shouldn't be to bad. Lord knows some are probably loose anyway! ;-)

If your needle has no extra notches, just put a small washer or two under the c-clip to shim up the needle a tad. That works also.

BlackBike 04-30-2016 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 214279)
Dropping a bolt shouldn't be to bad. Lord knows some are probably loose anyway! ;-)

If your needle has no extra notches, just put a small washer or two under the c-clip to shim up the needle a tad. That works also.

So far , removed all mount bolts except the bottom xmember were the pegs are mounted to pivot motor from. Loosen rear wheel for drive chain slack. Remove header bolts for wiggle. Remove skid plate bolts . Motorpivotforward and down 1.5 inch from top motor mount position to finally remove cover. Can't grind cover or frame enough to allow clearance for next time either.

Would have spend extra couple hundred bucks on the Bashar storm instead of this Bashar blaze hado I know this situation existed on this model. Total with rebuild, probably 3 to 4 hrs being a greenhorn

Don't buy Bashan blaze unless you love doing this everytime, can't see anyway around it
Attachment 5661