ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Best 250 dual sport? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=23424)

Dusman 04-13-2019 08:04 PM

Best 250 dual sport?

Good day fellas,

I’m looking into getting a Chinese dual sport 250 for light trail riding and regular commuting to work. Highest possible speeds on the commute are 45-55 mph. I’ve looked at all of them, the Bashans, the Hawk, Tao Tao TBR7, etc. I like the TBR7 but I hate the whole “gotta rebuild/replace the carb” right out of the box. I’m the kind of guy that doesn’t want to have to rebuild or immediately replace a carburetor on a new bike, as I find that ridiculous. I enjoy doing my own maintenance and am mechanically inclined.

Here’s my question: what’s the best purchase for my needs right out of the box?

I live in NC, so the Hawk is a no go as far as registration is concerned.

Thanks a bunch!

pete 04-13-2019 10:07 PM

I would bet 90% plus of the Chinese bikes sold world wide never have there carbs replaced..

Medic 04-14-2019 12:27 AM

I think i want the TBR7 as well. If you have to replace the carb its fairly cheap and easy to do.

timcosby 04-14-2019 01:17 AM

they will run stock. they have to put a small jet in the carb to pass epa guidelines on emmisions so they run lean. harleys run lean stock for the same reason.

Megadan 04-14-2019 01:21 AM

None of the carbs need to really.be replaced or rebuilt out of the box. What they generally need is the jetting to be adjusted so they arent so lean. Some are better than others out of the box, but most of them are still on the lean side, and dialing in the carb tune is just part of the process. Since it is probably the most discussed topic here it isnt too hard to do either.

Landsvw 04-14-2019 04:33 AM

Yeah my Kawasaki’s carb, 2009 KLX250 was also lean right from factory. I put the jet kit in it and etc and runs and starts sooooo much better. So it’s an EPA requirement that they’re getting around and we are the ones who have to ‘dirty’ the carbs to make them run correctly in the real world. So, if you don’t want to mess with carbs then maybe get a fuel injected something...

Bruces 04-14-2019 09:05 AM

Isn’t the Csc bike rejetted when you get them ?probably his best bet if he doesn’t want to tinker with the set up .

culcune 04-14-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landsvw (Post 305898)
So, if you don’t want to mess with carbs then maybe get a fuel injected something...

Lifan has an upcoming (apparently next few weeks) enduro with fuel-injection. Also, there is the upcoming Hawk DLX with fuel-injection. Both are on the EPA/DOT certification list as 49 state legal (as usual, Californians need not apply). Also, the slightly more expensive but close to mainstream brand CSC, has their TT250. Mainstream-like since the bike comes PDI/assembled and they stock parts for warranty issues, repairs, or upgrades. 'Out of the box' the CSC (probably the Lifan, too) would be your best bet.

elkhunter338 04-14-2019 12:20 PM

My Dad and I have not touched the carbs on our tt-250's other than adjusting the idle. They run fine, no back fire issues, no hesitation issues. Running them at 3,500 feet elevation. Mine is running clean the spark plug has no carbon build up at 170 miles. At this point with stock exhaust I have no plans on messing with the carb. Starts really good, idles good, just runs good.

MAT 04-14-2019 01:20 PM

Need more details on the FI Lifan enduro!

Dusman 04-14-2019 02:36 PM

Thanks for al your replies. Much appreciated!

culcune 04-14-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAT (Post 305916)
Need more details on the FI Lifan enduro!

https://www.americanlifan.com/x-pect/

Sochin 04-14-2019 11:19 PM

Get Nz's kit for 20 bux, use same carb as it comes with and a 17 front sprocket. Will greatly accomodate what you're asking out of a Hawk.

kirbo7106 04-15-2019 07:58 AM

I’m on the CSC bandwagon! If you want a “Ride it out of the box” Dual Sport, I don’t think you can beat the TT250!

The Lifan might be a great choice too! They seem to make some really good products. I really like their KP 150 Mini. Plus, it will be fuel injected. Being that you could ride from the beach all the way to the mountains without leaving the state, a good fuel injection system would make the ride easier!

Keep us posted on what you end up going with!

Enjoy the Ride!

2LZ 04-15-2019 10:43 AM

Yep, agreed on the TT250.

The only reason I did all the mods was because I can't help myself and I wanted to do a project for China Riders of the new-at-the-time bike from CSC.
It ran perfectly out of box. The PZ type carb they use is a much better piece than I've seen on other China bikes. I kept it.