ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   New Honda Monkey 125. Chinese clones to follow? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=21537)

Hellkitty 06-17-2018 11:25 AM

New Honda Monkey 125. Chinese clones to follow?

1 Attachment(s)
Now that Honda has officially announced the new Honda 125 Monkey is coming to the USA, do you think there will be Chinese clones in the near future?

I know there are some China replicas of the much smaller Z50 with 125 engines, and there is the similar Kymco Spade, but with a 3k price tag. I'm hoping to see some Clones of these with a $1500 price tag. The New Honda is going to be priced at 4k...ouch!

https://powersports.honda.com/2019/monkey.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrsJI847POA

Bruces 06-17-2018 11:44 AM

What about the new cub ?

tortoise 06-17-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellkitty (Post 283698)
Now that Honda has officially announced the new Honda 125 Monkey is coming to the USA, do you think there will be Chinese clones in the near future?

Pitster Pro

Hellkitty 06-17-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortoise (Post 283712)

Pitsterpro makes a 125cc z50 copy and they make the Mini Monster that is kinda similar but the wheelbase is quite a bit shorter and has 10" wheels.

dpl096 06-17-2018 09:51 PM

That Trail 50 brings back so many memories from the early 70s. They were such a huge step up from the common Briggs mini bikes.....still love the looks no mater the manufacturer.

By the way. Who else here can remember scrub brakes on a early morning ride through the dew soaked grass????? Those were the days lmao!

Hellcat Rider 06-17-2018 10:44 PM

Not feeling this bike :( sorry

timcosby 06-17-2018 11:10 PM

me neither unless i was 8 years old

Hellkitty 06-18-2018 12:42 AM

Basically it's a dual sport Honda Grom with styling of a Honda Monkey. I'm diggin it! I'm willing to bet you'll be seeing clones of these in the near future.

culcune 06-18-2018 01:28 AM

I was interested in the clones of these years ago, but even at 5'7", I seemed to think they would be a little too small for me. I was lusting after the CT70 clones for quite a while, but was always a day late, dollar short, and now they have all but dried up.

I do appreciate Honda's retro statement with this bike, and maybe they will bring back a DAX bike in the same vein? They would probably have more interest in a revised DAX, but again, I like their effort here!

culcune 06-18-2018 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpl096 (Post 283753)
That Trail 50 brings back so many memories from the early 70s. They were such a huge step up from the common Briggs mini bikes.....still love the looks no mater the manufacturer.

By the way. Who else here can remember scrub brakes on a early morning ride through the dew soaked grass????? Those were the days lmao!

I know not all of them were street legal, but those that were seemed so cool to me; I mean, you had a mini vehicle with headlight, taillight/brake light, and turn signals, and speedo that could legally share the road with cars.

I always lusted after the slightly larger DAX bikes. When I was in fifth grade, my older sisters were in high school at an all girl high school in Woodland Hills, California. One day, my mom picked me up because we were going somewhere (I took the MTA transit bus home most days). As we were in the left hand lane waiting our turn to pull into the parking lot from the main road, I looked to the left, towards the school, hundreds of 'older' girls were going in all directions after the bell had rang. And there she was; the most beautiful thing of all! A girl talking to her friend caught my eye. She was the most sexy of all!! My heart was fluttering. Oh, the actual girl--have no idea what she looked like. It was what she sat on--sex on wheels! A street legal CT70--blue in color!!! I had seen them in magazine ads, and even had a little toy model of one, but seeing one, in the wild, on the street, was what dreams were made of!!

pete 06-18-2018 02:01 AM

I have wondered why the Chinese have not copyed/cloned
the Honda CT110... exspecialy now that they are out of production..

Megadan 06-18-2018 04:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Since this topic is being discussed, I figured you would get a kick out of what happens when you take a Monkey and install the luggage from a GL1200 Goldwing on it and add some "highway bars."

Seems perfectly safe.

timcosby 06-18-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 283784)
I was interested in the clones of these years ago, but even at 5'7", I seemed to think they would be a little too small for me. I was lusting after the CT70 clones for quite a while, but was always a day late, dollar short, and now they have all but dried up.

I do appreciate Honda's retro statement with this bike, and maybe they will bring back a DAX bike in the same vein? They would probably have more interest in a revised DAX, but again, I like their effort here!

nah...all the groms i see have 300lbs guys riding them! can barely see the bike so have at it.

culcune 06-18-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timcosby (Post 283874)
nah...all the groms i see have 300lbs guys riding them! can barely see the bike so have at it.

I am actually considering the Lifan KP Mini 150 since it is now California legal, and would be legal to ride on the freeways here. It is technically 149cc, and California requires 151cc, but I am of the opinion that a small detail like that would be overlooked. A 125cc anything would be a harder argument...

Hellkitty 06-19-2018 09:20 PM

I decided that i'm going to sell my Hellcat and put a deposit on the Honda Monkey 125. I iike the Hellcat, it's a great lil bike considering what I paid for it. I bought it mainly to take with me on camping trips to explore back roads,maybe some light trail riding but the Hellcat is not really suited for this kind of riding. I was eyeing the Kymco Spade thinking I could mod it for dual sport use, i like it because it doesnt have big plastic fairings on it,150cc's and a 5 speed tranny, but it would take a lot of modding. Now that the Monkey is coming to the USA, this is the bike I want. True it is a 125 with a four speed, but it will suit my needs just fine. I'm thinking the only mod i would need to do is maybe install more aggressive off road tires. I love the dual sport look with the high mounted fenders. I know this is not a hard core off road machine, but it should be perfect for dirt roads and some light trail riding. $4000 is a lot of money, but you get the rock solid build quality and dependability of a Honda, and I'm sure it will hold its value really well and I wont have to do a bunch of mods. And the coolest thing about it is that when you turn the key, two eyes come on the dash and wink at you. Does my Hellcat wink at me....no....will the Spade wink at me......of course not. Having a bike that winks at me was really high on my list.