ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   News, Support, & Feedback (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Which Best Describes The Way You Browse ChinaRiders? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20906)

quadz 03-31-2018 03:52 PM

Which Best Describes The Way You Browse ChinaRiders?

Hey everyone, just doing a little 'research' for the site. Please participate in the poll.

Thanks! :tup:

Bruce's 03-31-2018 05:59 PM

Ipad

PANDEMIC 04-01-2018 03:11 PM

mostly on the computer but have jumped on using my phone if I am out and about or laptop is dead and I don't want to get the cord.

ben2go 04-01-2018 10:40 PM

I absolutely can not view forums on a phone or through an app like tapatalk.

TheDC 04-02-2018 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben2go (Post 276230)
I absolutely can not view forums on a phone or through an app like tapatalk.

Me either. I use the desktop (computer) :)

Mudflap 04-02-2018 06:57 AM

No option for Android tablet which is what I use most often. Opera browser. Can't stand Tapatalk.

Meloman 04-02-2018 09:40 AM

iPad

Weldangrind 04-02-2018 11:01 AM

Mostly laptop, occasionally a Samsung tablet.

ben2go 04-02-2018 03:22 PM

I use an Acer laptop that I stripped Windows off of and installed Linux onto. It works way better and I don't have to worry about Windows spy tech spying on me and selling my info.

Its_not_a_honda 04-02-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben2go (Post 276281)
I use an Acer laptop that I stripped Windows off of and installed Linux onto. It works way better and I don't have to worry about Windows spy tech spying on me and selling my info.

Wow a fellow chinarider using Linux! I run Linux Mint 17 LTS. I run it on a lenovo laptop. Pulled the hard drive the first day. Put in an SSD and loaded linux. I knew I wasn't the only smart person here. LOL.

I use a samsung phone sometimes when I need my chinariders fix and can't get to the laptop.

ben2go 04-02-2018 08:36 PM

I'm running Mint 18 Sonya with Cinnamon desktop. I redid my son's Asus laptop with a fresh 7400 rpm HD and dual boot Mint 18 Sonya with Cinnamon desktop and Ubuntu. He updated windows 10 and got the death screen. Since his computer is low end without a recovery option, and unable to access the recovery partition, I just completely redid his system. Ubuntu is helpful with his school work and Mint is better for Steam and a few other game setups he likes.

Weldangrind 04-03-2018 10:57 AM

I'd be grateful if one of you fellas would start a thread on Mint. I admit to being Linux-curious.

ben2go 04-03-2018 03:20 PM

This should work on any WIndows PC laptop or desktop running Windows XP or newer.

There are videos on this on youtube. I'll give a quick run down of how I tried Linux Mint before installing it.

Pretty simple just to try Linux. I download the ISO image from https://linuxmint.com/download.php You'll need to know if your system is 32bit or 64bit. If your computer has Windows 7 or newer, it should be a 64bit system.

Next, I download pendrivelinux universal USB installer https://www.pendrivelinux.com/univer...easy-as-1-2-3/ It shows how to do it right on the download page.

I run the USB installer program and install linux on a USB flash drive. The USB installer walks you through the process. The only cost is a clean flash drive wih at least 4gb capacity. The USB will need to be formatted and the installer will do that for you. Any info on the flash drive will be erased forever.

To run the flash drive, your USB port(s) must be set to boot first before the hard drive or operating system. This is done in BIOS and is different between computer manufacturers and installed hardware. I search the computer model I am running the flash drive on, on youtube, to find out how to make the USB ports boot first. Once the boot menu is set to boot USB first, restart the computer, and it will boot into the Linux flash drive.

Once you're up and running on Linux USB, you can play around with it. It will ask you if you want to run the demo or install it. I demo, then if I like it, I install it next to windows except for my current computer and my son's. I installed them and let the flash drive remove Windows. I would keep windows for a while to be sure you don't need it for certain things that Linux may not be able to do. Some of the newer Linux USB setups will have the option of checking your computer for compatibility. I run that. I've never had any issues come back.

If you want to access the internet with the flash drive just set up your connection similar to Windows. It's a bit of a crippled set up. It doesn't have access to all the computer's hardware. It will be a little slow. It's pretty fast when installed fully. Since it doesn't interact with the hard drive, there's little to no chance of getting a virus or other info stealing bugs. When you're done, and shut down the computer, all the info on the USB is lost except the Linux version you installed on the flash drive. You can use it over and over. It can also be reformatted and another Linux version installed using the same method described here.

This method of running Linux from a flash drive can be done with most Linux versions. Mint and Ununtu seem to be the best supported versions currently.

Here is a list of the most common Linux Distros. There are some obscure versions out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._distributions

Once Linux Mint is fully installed, this site has the best guides in my opinion.
https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...cinnamon-first

Just a quick note. I see Linux Mint 18 Sylvia has replaced Sonya. I'll have to check my computer to be sure it updated. I'm on a borrowed laptop that I am running Linux Mint 18 Sonya USB flash drive while I await a replacment battery and charger for my laptop. Also, Linux is safer than windows, it doesn't require all those anti-whatever programs running in the background and slowing the system down. System updates can be set up to be delivered how you like them. I have mine set up to run at start up and I select what I want to install. Also, Linux gives descriptions about each update and what it will affect.

Its_not_a_honda 04-03-2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 276327)
I'd be grateful if one of you fellas would start a thread on Mint. I admit to being Linux-curious.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20921

ben2go 04-03-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Its_not_a_honda (Post 276360)

I'll move mine over there.

Darkrider 04-04-2018 10:42 AM

closer to 85% for accessing via PC or Laptops. Though there is the odd time i will access it via the browser with my Iphone.

quadz 04-06-2018 08:54 PM

Thanks guys! This is all for the new mobile skin I'm developing for the forum. Keep voting (if you haven't already)!

I was going to include tablets but they're not really relevant to the info we're looking for, since they're sort of 'in between' the other two options.

Thanks again! :tup:

Darth Racer 04-07-2018 08:46 PM

A mobile skin is better then Tapatalk... yeah I know this is ChinaRiders but no need to let the Chinese profit off our info.

quadz 04-08-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Racer (Post 276801)
A mobile skin is better then Tapatalk... yeah I know this is ChinaRiders but no need to let the Chinese profit off our info.

Exactly. TapaTalk has many disheartening issues, security being a big one.

Darth Racer 04-11-2018 08:38 PM

I know on your end the updates are horrible.... in some cases you have to scramble to patch a poorly written one when it tanks a live forum. Is the case with the SMF side of tapatalk, not sure if vBulletin is much better.

quadz 04-12-2018 04:12 AM

Yea everything about them is just, bad. Their website is terrible, and the last couple times I had to open a support ticket, it took them a minimum of 5 full days to get back to me. Combine that with them sharing what seems to be about 0.1% of the revenue they make from ads (off of OUR content) with Admins, and the high possibility that the Chinese Government has access to our info, it just makes more sense to develop our own mobile platform. :)

ben2go 04-14-2018 03:43 PM

Xenforo seems to be a good forum platform and I think it even has a built-in mobile set up. Years ago, when VB was in the 3.XX stage, it seemed to be the best platform at that time. I've lost touch since I quite building forums back in 2010.

quadz 04-16-2018 05:42 AM

If I were to switch softwares, XF would be the one, mostly because of the mobile platform. But if you ask me, VB3 is still one of the best forums ever made. Super stable and reliable, and it doesn't hurt that I know it like the back of my hand. 😁 The newer VB versions don't impress me much.

Essayons 04-22-2018 01:10 PM

desk top

T4rscott 05-07-2018 08:08 AM

Mobile

Oorah 11-19-2018 06:11 PM

Mobile is difficult to search

I voted computer 100%. When I use the mobile and try to do a search, the search box disappears when the keyboard shows up and I can't enter text. I have to use the advanced search to make it function.

kirbo7106 11-24-2018 09:11 AM

Mobile. Usually I’m on my iPhone 6S Plus, occasionally on an Amazon Fire HD 8, but almost never on my laptop.

Pathfinders 12-20-2018 01:30 PM

Laptop 100%.

wheel spinner 12-28-2018 05:51 PM

Laptop 100%:D

Landsvw 01-02-2019 06:35 AM

IPad... sorry no choice of that in poll..

Tom44708 08-21-2019 01:42 PM

My phone

Hawk 229cc 08-21-2019 02:05 PM

use lap top 100% of the time ,an look into new posts ,an some that have more then enough response I tend to leave alone

brokeokie 04-05-2020 04:21 AM

where's the ios app???? hint hint lol

old biker 05-01-2021 09:58 AM

browse poll

old biker here 100% on laptop

TxTaoRider 05-01-2021 10:25 AM

Phone most of the time, but occasionally I'll use a PC or laptop, but I cant remember my password so it's usually just browsing.

ikeus685 05-02-2021 12:10 PM

yeah, I go with my desk top when researching bikes and riding areas.

stelabentley 12-20-2021 09:36 AM

I run the USB installer program and install linux on a USB flash drive.The USB installer walks you through the process.The only cost is a clean flash drive wih at least 4gb capacity.

The USB will need to be formatted and the installer will do that for you. Any info on the flash drive will be erased forever.

To run the flash drive, your USB port(s) must be set to boot first before the hard drive or operating system.This is done in BIOS and is different between computer manufacturers and installed hardware.

I search the computer model I am running the flash drive on, on youtube, to find out how to make the USB ports boot first. Once the boot menu is set to boot USB first, restart the computer, and it will boot into the Linux flash drive.

Once you're up and running on Linux USB, you can play around with it. It will ask you if you want to run the demo or install it. I demo, then if I like it, I install it next to windows except for my current computer and my son's.

I installed them and let the flash drive remove Windows. I would keep windows for a while to be sure you don't need it for certain things that Linux may not be able to do. Some of the newer Linux USB setups will have the option of checking your computer for compatibility.I run that. I've never had any issues come back.

If you want to access the internet with the flash drive just set up your connection similar to Windows. It's a bit of a crippled set up. It doesn't have access to all the computer's hardware.

It will be a little slow. It's pretty fast when installed fully. Since it doesn't interact with the hard drive, there's little to no chance of getting a virus or other info stealing bugs. When you're done, and shut down the computer, all the info on the USB is lost except the Linux version you installed on the flash drive.

You can use it over and over. It can also be reformatted and another Linux version installed using the same method described here.

robertryan 01-05-2022 02:21 PM

I run the USB installer program and install linux on a USB flash drive.The USB installer walks you through the process.The only cost is a clean flash drive wih at least 4gb capacity.

The USB will need to be formatted and the installer will do that for you. Any info on the flash drive will be erased forever.

To run the flash drive, your USB port(s) must be set to boot first before the hard drive or operating system.

This is done in BIOS and is different between computer manufacturers and installed hardware.I search the computer model I am running the flash drive on, on youtube, to find out how to make the USB ports boot first.

Once the boot menu is set to boot USB first, restart the computer, and it will boot into the Linux flash drive.

Once you're up and running on Linux USB, you can play around with it.It will ask you if you want to run the demo or install it. I demo, then if I like it, I install it next to windows except for my current computer and my son's.

I installed them and let the flash drive remove Windows. I would keep windows for a while to be sure you don't need it for certain things that Linux may not be able to do. Some of the newer Linux USB setups will have the option of checking your computer for compatibility. I run that. I've never had any issues come back.

If you want to access the internet with the flash drive just set up your connection similar to Windows. It's a bit of a crippled set up. It doesn't have access to all the computer's hardware. It will be a little slow.

It's pretty fast when installed fully. Since it doesn't interact with the hard drive, there's little to no chance of getting a virus or other info stealing bugs. When you're done, and shut down the computer, all the info on the USB is lost except the Linux version you installed on the flash drive.

You can use it over and over. It can also be reformatted and another Linux version installed using the same method described here.

Thumper 02-11-2022 08:19 AM

I have a Moto G7 Power with a nice big bright screen, and I wear 2.0 power reading glasses but still don't like browsing on my cell phone.

I have twin HD monitors on my desktop, and it allows me to edit and post photos on the forum, and I can view forum pages, videos and photos at full size and resolution. Having a second monitor means I can browse the web or watch videos on one screen while while reading forum pages on the other.

I just use my phone for calls, text, and navigation. Once in a while, I squint at it for browsing!;)

Michigan Sportsman 02-23-2022 06:13 PM

Apple iPad :clap: