ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   ATVs (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Redcat 110 ATV (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20475)

Rocket 01-07-2018 10:10 PM

Redcat 110 ATV

I have a mystery connector in the battery box under the seat. It has 4 wires coming out of it. 2 of them go to the key switch (black and red). The other 2 go to the push button switch (yellow/red and green). I have no spark and I am guessing there is a starter circuit relay that is missing from this mystery connector. I do know that it is not a solenoid. I would appreciate any feedback.

humanbeing 01-07-2018 11:32 PM

Welcome to mad house
http://chinariders.net/showpost.php?...3&postcount=11 | Typical Redcat http://www.loncinengineparts.com/red...m-p-10420.html

david3921 01-08-2018 07:12 AM

Did you check the fuse? It shows that it's by the battery in the diagram human being posted.

Rocket 01-08-2018 05:23 PM

Thanks guys fuse is good okay being that the mystery connector has wires going to the key switch and the starter switch I'm wondering if I relay shouldn't go to that connector to complete the circuit thank you

Rocket 01-19-2018 08:29 PM

Can I bypass that mystery connector that has those four wires that go to the key switch and to the push button start so I can try to get this Redcat started thank you

Weldangrind 01-22-2018 10:25 AM

Did you buy this Redcat new or used?

Rocket 01-22-2018 06:53 PM

I bought it used and if a relay goes in that mystery connector it was not there so I'm thinking how else would you complete the circuit without a relay

dirtbkr188 01-22-2018 07:51 PM

Does your plug look like it will fit in this relay?

http://get2itparts.com/bmz_cache/0/0...ge.200x191.jpg

If so, you can find it HERE

Rocket 01-22-2018 09:52 PM

It's the best one I've seen however and I should have said this before the connector is able to hold 6 pins but only four wires come 0ut of it and my connector would be the male end thanks so much you certainly are on the right track

david3921 01-23-2018 07:30 AM

Please post a picture if you can. Most of these are wired pretty much the same and we can compare your pics to what we have to help you out. I know the smaller CC four wheelers tend to have options for the remote kill fobs. Your issue my be tied to that.

Rocket 01-23-2018 12:43 PM

Pictures

2 Attachment(s)
I have attached two pictures to help explain.

david3921 01-23-2018 06:58 PM

I looked at the diagram that humanbeing posted and pictures on the internet. You stated that the plug goes to the key switch and the start button. There should be a plug (male) for the one shown in the main harness. All of these tie into the starter solenoid (relay). Find that and see what that is plugged into. These typically have two wires. Follow where the wires go for that plug. It should lead to the plug you are looking for, in the main harness or bare wires where the plug should be.

As a side note, as a safety feature, that usually one of the brakes have to be applied for the ATV to start.

Rocket 01-23-2018 09:18 PM

David 3921 I really appreciate your input like you said the wires go to the solenoid there are two wires the yellow red one goes to the mystery connector and The Handlebar switch- the other wire green red one goes to the lights up front and to a wiring harness that goes to the motor next to the stator back by the chain. But no connector that would fit into my mystery connector. Okay there are no bare wires. All other wires go to a connector. I'm really baffled but I want to thank you again for all your help

Weldangrind 01-24-2018 10:51 AM

Like David said, the mystery connector likely attached to a remote start device, not a relay. In order to get the quad to run, you might need to make some connections that the remote start device was meant to interrupt/connect. Don't splice anything yet.

Do you have a test light or multimeter? If so, is the black wire hot when the key is on? Is the red wire hot all the time?

As established, there is a yellow/red wire that travels from the starter switch to the solenoid. Does the yellow/red wire in the mystery connector tee into that wire or interrupt it?

Rocket 01-24-2018 07:36 PM

Weldangrind I tested the red and black wire from the key switch only the red wire is hot (all the time). Now that yellow red wire that goes to the solenoid is also tied into the mystery connector thank you

Weldangrind 01-25-2018 10:56 AM

Since the black wire isn't hot with the key on, I'd be curious about where it comes from. Before we go any further, please describe the kill switch. Is it a simple on/off switch?

Rocket 01-25-2018 07:30 PM

Yes the kill switch is just an on and off switch. The black wire goes to the CDI and to the push button start switch and to the mystery connector and the lights. If Ihooked up a remote start device to the mystery connector would that complete the circuit so I would get Spark?

Weldangrind 01-26-2018 11:19 AM

Probably, but you'd also need a key fob remote to activate it. I'd sooner delete it, since it's interrupting a circuit that you could reconnect. It's just a matter of resolving the circuit path.

Weldangrind 01-26-2018 11:29 AM

How many wires go to the CDI? Does it have a connector that could house one more wire that is currently vacant?

Weldangrind 01-26-2018 11:40 AM

This may help: http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=12512&page=5
Start with post #63 and read on; this is how I removed the alarm / remote start from my bike. Maybe yours is similar.

Rocket 01-26-2018 10:39 PM

I'll get on this tomorrow and see if I can make some sense out of this. Thanks a lot Weldangrind

Rocket 01-26-2018 11:07 PM

I forgot the CDI has 4 wires going to it and you could add two more and yes I would like to delete any remote thanks again

Rocket 01-28-2018 03:31 AM

Weldangrind I read your post but didn't seem to be the same as mine so I'm wondering why I only have two wires going to my key switch which are the red one in the black one from the mystery connector the red one also goes to the fuse the black one to the lights. Don't know what to do next. Thank you

david3921 01-28-2018 06:09 PM

Rocket, still checking on the wiring of my ATV to see what matches up. It's not easy as everything is tucked inside the body. I do have the remote on mine that I will be trying to remove so I'll let you know what I find out.

In the mean time, please fill out your signature as to where you are located. You may be just around the corner or close by someone that has the knowledge to help you.

Rocket 01-28-2018 11:50 PM

Thank youWeldangrind I live close to Detroit Lakes Minnesota

Rocket 02-13-2018 01:57 AM

Still can't figure out this mystery connector if anyone has an idea on how to complete that circuit I'd sure appreciate the information thanks

BARLOW 02-13-2018 03:46 AM

is there a black and a black/white wire that connector comes from... if so, try plugging the 2 of those together

BARLOW 02-13-2018 03:55 AM

i see yours are blue and white, sorry ... try unplugging them ... if that dont work, i would guess cdi is bad or the spark plug is bad... that plug is not needed for anything on my bike without the remote starter

Rocket 02-13-2018 11:50 AM

Thanks Barlow I'll try that and let you know what happens I have changed out the CDI and the spark plug

david3921 02-13-2018 11:48 PM

I took my grandson's taotao apart in an effort to help Rocket with his problem and to see if the remote could be disconnected easily. Here's what I found;

The remote box is an integral part of the wiring and can't be easily removed. I have two wiring harnesses coming that I might be able to swap to cure the issue. They were cheap, less than $6 each, so I thought I would give them a try. I will post here my results.

While checking this out, I compared Rocket's plug pictures to the ones on the Taotao. There is a similar plug (female) in the main harness that has some of the same color wires but there are 5 wires instead of 4. The male connecting plug comes from the handle bar start switch. The female plug wires go to different areas with some going to the starter relay and others going to the keyed switch. This seems to be the opposite of Rocket's with his female plug going to the keyed (some like mine) but others going to the starter at the handle bar.

The plug that goes to the remote box also has some of the same colored wires which leads me to believe that Rocket's ATV is missing the remote box.

As a side note, Rocket's picture is showing this plug is in the battery "box" whereas both of my ATVs only have the battery, battery cables, and the fuse in that location.

Let me know if you want me to check anything else.

Rocket 02-14-2018 12:02 AM

Well I unplugged the blue and white that didn't make any difference so I'm going to try one more time going through the wiring and to make sure that everything is connected you might be right that I might not need that connector just can't figure out why won't even turn over Barlow I want to thank you for your trouble

Rocket 02-14-2018 12:08 AM

That would be great David 3921 I really appreciate this thank you

Rocket 02-14-2018 07:18 PM

Well finally today I got the push button to turn over the engine and I also have spark and I'm pretty happy about that thanks to you guys but now the key switch doesn't work right because if its turned on or off the push button still turns over the engine. What I did to get the spark was to connect the two wires from the mystery connector that go to the key switch red and black sorry to keep bothering you guys but if you have an idea of what I can do to solve that I should be in good shape

david3921 02-14-2018 09:45 PM

Great progress!

Check out post #3 here;

https://atvconnection.com/forums/1-e...w-do-u-do.html

It sounds like the ATV did have a remote start and now it's bypassed.

david3921 02-14-2018 09:59 PM

By the way, I went out and traced the wires in case someone needs the info. Again, this is a Taotao 125cc and the plug that we were looking at is the where the start button connects to. I made a mistake in an earlier post by saying that some of the wires went to the switch. None do. Sorry about that.

Anyway, here's what color the wires are and where they went;

Black/White to a bundle of 3 1 to the rear tether, 1 to the CDI, 1 to the remote box
Brown to the tail light (!)
Yellow splits to 2, 1 to the stator, 1 to the regulator
Yellow/Red splits to 2, 1 to the starter relay, 1 to the remote box
Yellow/Green splits to 2, 1 to the rear brake switch, 1 to the front brake switch

My new wiring came in the mail today. I'll start a new post once I dig into that. My hope is that one of the harnesses does not have the plug for the remote and I can just swap in the new one and be able to start the ATV by the handle bar start button.

Rocket 02-16-2018 10:12 PM

David 3921, Weldangrind, and Barlow I want to really thank you guys for helping me out after looking at the post I connected the black in the red wire that goes to the key switch from the mystery connector and put it in a toggle switch and I got it running really good. The push button switch and the kill switch on the handlebar both work also the lights work the only thing that doesn't work is the key switch. I wrote it for about a half hour and it ran fine so I hope I can get by with this and thanks a lot guys

BARLOW 02-17-2018 06:39 AM

good work getting it running

david3921 02-17-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket (Post 273680)
David 3921, Weldangrind, and Barlow I want to really thank you guys for helping me out after looking at the post I connected the black in the red wire that goes to the key switch from the mystery connector and put it in a toggle switch and I got it running really good. The push button switch and the kill switch on the handlebar both work also the lights work the only thing that doesn't work is the key switch. I wrote it for about a half hour and it ran fine so I hope I can get by with this and thanks a lot guys

It sounds like you bypassed the switch. If so, maybe the key switch is bad and just needs to be replaced. Either way, good job on getting it going.

Rocket 02-18-2018 01:06 AM

Yes I did get it started thanks to you guys and I'll be putting in a new key switch just to see if that was it if it weren't for all these posts I'd still be scratching my head so many thanks

Weldangrind 02-18-2018 01:33 PM

Glad to hear you were able to take it for a victory ride! :D I had a bad key switch on my quad once, so I replaced it, but the quad still wouldn't even try to start. After massive troubleshooting, I eventually ended up back at the switch. I peeled the boot back and discovered that, despite the same wire colours, the pinout was different. I got out the soldering iron, corrected the wire placement and solved the problem. That was one of the most frustrating troubleshooting episodes ever.