ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Ride Reports (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Scooter Adventures. (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14034)

ghcoe 09-07-2014 04:49 PM

Scooter Adventures.

Thought I would start a thread on my scooter adventures. I never owned a scooter before and I do not travel much on two wheelers, except bicycles, so I hope for many adventures.

Zuma, Zuma Clone, BWS 125, Jonway, Chinese scooter.

ghcoe 09-07-2014 04:54 PM

28 Mile Shake Down Cruise

3 Attachment(s)
Been riding around the house some so today I thought I would make a little journey. I mostly stayed in the outskirts of the city. I hit some 45mph roads and was able to keep up with traffic with no problems. Some of the trip was on fairly steep roads and the scoot did great! Turned out to be a 28 mile round trip ride. A couple of shots I took on this one.

The old Idaho State Penitentiary. A museum and special advents area now.

Fort Boise Military Cemetery. The goats are here to cut down on foliage that can be a fire hazard. The city is just over that hill. Hard to believe huh?

Weldangrind 09-08-2014 10:56 AM

The sky is so blue! It looks like a great day for riding.

I hope your scooter gives you many happy miles.

ghcoe 09-09-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 172244)
The sky is so blue! It looks like a great day for riding.

I hope your scooter gives you many happy miles.

It was a great day. Thanks, I hope it does too.

SpudRider 09-10-2014 04:56 AM

That's a good, long ride for a scooter. Thanks for posting the nice photos. :tup:

cheesy 09-10-2014 08:15 AM

Nice pics.

Almost makes me miss my old Honda Spree. Almost.;)

Weldangrind 09-10-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 172392)
Nice pics.

Almost makes me miss my old Honda Spree. Almost.;)

An old Honda Spree with a transplanted GY6 150 sounds like good hillbilly fun to me. Hmmm...

katoranger 09-10-2014 10:47 PM

I like that idea.

ghcoe 09-13-2014 09:41 PM

Cartwright Road

4 Attachment(s)
Took a little trip this morning. Did not know where I was going to go, but wound up on Cartwright road. It is a nice little paved road that travels just within the foot hills that run along the North side of the city. Fun road on a scooter for sure.....

Historic Harrison Blvd Runs through the North end of town and takes you directly to the foot hills.

Harrison Hollow. My mom use to live here before she met my dad. At that time it was probably a spooky place to live. Now it is hiking park.

JR Simplots house. Sits on top of one of the hills and looks across the city of Boise. It was donated to the state for a Governors mansion, but I believe they finally gave it back.

The old bomb shelter. Built during the cold war and stored records for many years. I remember going here to retrieve some high school document many years ago. Does not look like anything going on here now.

SpudRider 09-13-2014 10:11 PM

Thanks for posting the nice photos. :)

ghcoe 09-13-2014 10:12 PM

Cartwright Road

4 Attachment(s)
So now it was onto Cartwright Road.

Looking to the East.

Looking to the West.

Weird bovine back here......

ghcoe 09-13-2014 10:17 PM

Cartwright Road

5 Attachment(s)
Scooter climbed these hills just fine.

Trip was 34 miles and the gas gage still read full when I got home. That is pretty cool.....

Weldangrind 09-14-2014 12:03 AM

Cool pics!

When you say you retrieved some high school records from the bomb shelter, were they just random records? Was that some sort of school project?

ghcoe 09-14-2014 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 172546)
Cool pics!

When you say you retrieved some high school records from the bomb shelter, were they just random records? Was that some sort of school project?

High school transcripts that I needed for a job or military. Don't remember which. This is where they use to house all those records. Been a long time ago. I remember lots of corridors and it looked very dated. I wonder just how far it goes into the mountain. I remember thinking then that I was only scratching the surface of what was really there. Records were moved to a down town facility years ago.

ghcoe 09-28-2014 07:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I broke off from house work for a quick 1 hour ride. Well turned out to be a 1 1/2 hour ride. I was getting a little low on fuel and did not want to take a chance. I had to drive to a small town farther than I wanted to drive, but still a good time.

The destination was Mora School, established in 1910. My dad worked with a guy that owned this school, until recently, back in the 60's. His name was Slim and he use to run a salvage yard here. He mostly only had pre 70's vehicles. I bought a few parts from him myself once I started to drive. Nicest man you would ever meet. He passed on a few years ago and they just sold all the vehicles at auction earlier this year. It is another piece of my childhood that will probably be torn down to make way for the future.

So long Slim, RIP. I'll see you on the other side.....

ghcoe 09-28-2014 07:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More of the school and a old radio station. KIDO still broadcasts, but there are no people here now. And Jack Rabbit Valley road. Cool little road that use to be gravel when I was a kid. Better now paved for fast scooter travel.

Weldangrind 09-29-2014 11:00 AM

I never stop to take pics when I'm driving, but I always find time to stop for pictures when on a bike adventure. Thanks for showing us the interesting old school and radio station.

SpudRider 09-29-2014 03:39 PM

X2. Thanks for posting the nice photos. :)

ghcoe 10-05-2014 10:16 PM

8th Street to Bogus and back

5 Attachment(s)
Went on a nice long scooter ride today. 50 mile round trip into the foot hills to the North of the city. Had a great time and the scooter did fantastic. No problem at all climbing the hills, which on 8th street is one steep climb from the city to the ridge road. Got some weird looks by people as I passed them on a scooter.

Pic #1 The beginning of the climb.
Pic #2,3 Halfway to the top.
Pic #4 Closer to the top.
Pic #4 Made it to the top. Ridge line road.

ghcoe 10-05-2014 10:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Pic #1,2 Roads they say scooters can't do!
Pic #3,4,5 Looking over the valley from Ridge Line Rd.

ghcoe 10-05-2014 10:23 PM

8th Street to Bogus and back

4 Attachment(s)
Pic #1,2 Towers at Bogus Basin.
Pic #3 Bogus Basin sky area. Used by mountain bikers right now.
Pic #4 The road home. 14 miles of twisty road back to the city. Fun!

SpudRider 10-06-2014 12:42 AM

I think you are teaching people that scooters are far more capable than they might think. :tup:

Weldangrind 10-06-2014 01:10 AM

Quite a remarkable view! You have a terrific adventure machine.

ghcoe 06-21-2015 12:38 PM

Just now getting time to ride the scooter again so more adventures on the horizon....

Adjuster 06-21-2015 01:22 PM

First time seeing this thread. Very cool! Love the old school.

/

Louis Angel 06-24-2015 03:21 PM

Adjuster wrote " First time seeing this thread. Very cool! "

I second that comment. Very nice!
I still have my Genuine Roughhouse50 scooter and in fact took it
out this past sunday for a (slow) ride. The all terrain scooters really
do go just dang near anywhere. Amazing how far they will go when
someone just tries. LOL

By the way, I been trying to figure out something: What brand / model / engine size is your scooter?

Nice photos!

ghcoe 07-01-2015 10:53 PM

Thanks guys. The BWS which is what my scooter is a clone of is used quite a bit in Asia off road. I guess you have to have 500cc and a 400lbs bike to have fun here..... Not! I am having a blast with my China scooter. Getting 75mpg doing it too.

BWS's having fun in Japan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ35t1k7iCE . Notice they all wear protection too.

ghcoe 07-12-2015 07:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
No adventures yet, been too busy. One of the projects I have been busy on though is scooter related. I am making a two scooter garage....

SpudRider 07-12-2015 07:09 PM

That is the beginning of a nice little garage. :tup:

cheesy 07-12-2015 07:20 PM

You can never have too much storage space.:)
Is that...is that...an Opel Manta?:tup:

ghcoe 07-12-2015 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 188622)
You can never have too much storage space.:)
Is that...is that...an Opel Manta?:tup:

Yup, I already have a 10x12 storage barn I built in the back yard a couple of years ago. I built it to hold 3 Chinese ATV's, 2 kayaks, camping equipment and Christmas stuff. I have been storing the scooter under a porch through the winter where it is in the way during the summer. Had it under a motorcycle cover, but it is not totally water tight and I got tired of cleaning the scooter every time I wanted to head out. I don't have a garage so this is my next best thing.

Why yes......it is a Opel Manta. It is my sons. I also have a Manta Rally that is my daughters and I have a Opel 1900 or better known as a Ascona in Europe.

cheesy 07-12-2015 10:07 PM

I had a bright green 74 with a stick. One of the best cars I've had.

ghcoe 07-13-2015 08:27 PM

My first Manta was a '73. Then I drove a '74 for 8 years. It was the green color too except I painted it flat black. My wife drove a '73 for a while and my last Opel before the Ascona was a '74 Manta that was a nice survivor. I was Opel free for 10 years and now I'm back. I guess I still drive them because they are easy to work on, dependable, and a whole lot of fun to drive. My '75 Ascona is the last year that Opel was imported as a Opel and is fuel injected.

Louis Angel 07-14-2015 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ghcoe, I have noticed that your scoot also favors the Genuine Hooligan 170i. Very similar design.

ghcoe 07-14-2015 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis Angel (Post 188709)
ghcoe, I have noticed that your scoot also favors the Genuine Hooligan 170i. Very similar design.

Yes, that is another clone of the Zuma/BWS. Lance/Sym have a similar one too.

http://www.lancepowersports.com/models/cabo150.html

rich_e 07-15-2015 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ghcoe - thanks for posting the pictures of your riding adventures. I went ahead an ordered Zuma clone today for my wife. I only got a 50CC, because I thought that was the maximum displacement you could ride in my state without a motorcycle license. Turns out I could have gone all the way up to 130CC.

Looks like there are plenty of 100CC upgrade kits for the 50s though.
http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1436982138

ghcoe 07-15-2015 06:54 PM

I have a 50cc scooter here that I plan on doing a BBK on too.

You really should talk your wife into a motorcycle class. I took mine last fall. I had been driving my scooter with a learning permit, but my son had to take the class since he was under 21. I went ahead and took the class with him. It made a big difference in my riding confidence. I feel a lot safer on the streets too. Well worth the money and time. It could mean a life.

SpudRider 07-15-2015 11:58 PM

Indeed, taking the MSF Rider Safety Course is some of the best money you will ever invest. :tup:

rich_e 07-16-2015 10:42 AM

Yes. Thumbs up on the MSF course! Took it myself when I got my 200 Dual Sport. I got the Zuma style scooter for my wife because we have 3 miles of dirt/gravel road to get to pavement. So we'll just be tooling around the country roads with it at first. But eventually, she'll want to venture out to the real world so the course is on the list for sure.

ghcoe 07-16-2015 06:47 PM

Good to hear.