ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Other Brands (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   It Is Alive!!! Bwahahahahahaha (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=11254)

cheesy 08-18-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katoranger
Do you have a tubing bender?

At my shop, not at the house.

SpudRider 08-19-2012 02:28 AM

The CX500 looks good, Cheesy! :)

Spud :)

Weldangrind 08-19-2012 01:17 PM

Your luggage rack reminds me of the old Native American philosophy towards making a canoe from a tree. Simply carve away everything that's not a canoe.

cheesy 08-19-2012 05:45 PM

Thanks, Spud. The two week wait I still have before I can register and insure it are going to be long.

WNG-You were the one I had in mind when I took that pic. The tube is zip tied to my old Monark for the ride into work tomorrow. With a bit o' luck, the basic shape will come back home in the big old Wald basket.

Weldangrind 08-20-2012 11:41 AM

:lol:

cheesy 08-20-2012 09:42 PM

Well, crap. One o' my boys at the shop managed to break the tube bender and never said anything to the boss, aka, me. :x Apparently, broken for a couple of weeks, too. :x :x
I'm not big on punishment but this time there was a collective butt ripping with the understanding that should something like this happen again, THERE WILL BE SUSPENSIONS. Ssssiiiiggggghhhh. :? I wasn't totally pissed that I couldn't do my tube but I have tubing jobs starting week after next and I gotta get this antique fixed.

Had to send the MIG out for repairs today, too.:( It's Monday, right.

Anyway, bit o' change of plans. Heat, bend, and braze. All that I can do at home. Won't be pretty, but will be functional. Which is the cheesy way.

Weldangrind 08-21-2012 01:13 AM

Do you have the budget at work to buy the HF tubing roller? Perhaps it will make a good substitute for awhile. I think I paid $160.00 for mine.

cheesy 08-21-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Do you have the budget at work to buy the HF tubing roller? Perhaps it will make a good substitute for awhile. I think I paid $160.00 for mine.

I have the budget. Getting the OK is another thing. Should have seen the hoops I went through to get a plasma cutter.

The HF unit could end up in my garage, though.

cheesy 08-23-2012 04:28 PM

Basic shape.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...8-23130115.jpg

3/4" tube, expanded metal, a few other bits, and lot's of brass.

Not pretty, but then again, I don't do pretty. It will have the old Chinabike trunk hiding the ugliness for those who value that sort of thing, though.

FastDoc 08-23-2012 04:35 PM

Beauty is as beauty does. :wink:

Weldangrind 08-23-2012 10:45 PM

Get 'er done. Gas welding? Oxy-acetylene?

cheesy 08-24-2012 01:19 AM

Oxy, mostly because I'm out of practice.

Secondly, because my Dad is handing his 'I don't know how old' Craftsman oxy-acetylene set to me. I have a Victor set with pony tanks, which is nice for 'around the house' repairs but the full size set means I can do some real damage* to a piece of steel.

*My flame cuts look like a fractal image. :oops:

Weldangrind 08-24-2012 10:58 AM

Flame cuts are always nasty. Even plasma cutters have that flame-cut appearance, which is why I gravitate towards free-handing it with a cut-off disc in an angle grinder.

I've decided against a Victor setup on my property, due to insurance reasons. I think that a homeowner could get away with an oxy-propane setup, and it's certainly good enough for silver soldering, etc. I have a cheap oxy-map setup, but haven't tried it yet. I bet it's hotter than blazes.

Expanded metal is a good choice for a rack surface. BTW, if you wish to accomplish a radius in tubing, you can have reasonable success in bending it around a pulley that is chucked in a vise, after unmercifully heating the tube. The pulley size determines the bend radius.

cheesy 08-25-2012 07:05 PM

I'll opt for the RA grinder most of the time but if I have a lot to cut I'll break open the plasma cutter. Still cleaner and straighter than a flame cut and still makes sparks. :D
I was going to do the pulley trick but the pulleys I had were aluminum and for a serpentine belt. So I said the heck with it and just bent.

Here it is sans paint and radiused corners. I have about $7usd in it and never set paper to pencil.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...8-25122439.jpg

Quick story about my Pony torches. I'm one of three guys in my neighborhood that works with their hands, everyone else is either in finance, upper management or has a bunch of letters after their name and I'm not so sure they know what they do. Anyway, I was replacing my mailbox post with a hunk o' 90lb rail on a Saturday. I got it sunk and set, then realized that it was a heck of a time to have forgotten to weld the plate for mailbox in place. Well, I couldn't reach it with my MIG, so I dragged the pony oxy-actylene unit to the end of the drive and started welding the plate on. After starting my second filet, I smell coffee. I look up and six of my neighbors are watching me weld. 8O I thought they were there to bitch (someone had about my antics in the past, I know who and it wasn't any of these guys) but they just wanted to watch, they'd never seen anyone weld before. By the time I was finished, the coffee became beers and the welding demo became the fence behind Hank Hills house. :wink:

Weldangrind 08-26-2012 12:09 PM

That's awesome! What a terrific way to get to know the neighbours. I weld outside all the time, but only one neighbour has shown any interest.