ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   hawk update (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=33195)

Zapkin 10-08-2023 07:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
also found a little lake.

Zapkin 10-08-2023 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XLsior (Post 400312)
is the leak impacting the oil level significantly and or causing smoke/burnoff...If not it can be 'lived with' for a while...

No harm in replacing the head gasket/oil feed o'ring as you don't have to replace the cylinder and piston.

Hopefully you already have a torque wrench for the head bolts...

I posted a picture of it when I first discovered it. Since then I've washed the oil off, but it's still leaking. It's a super slow leak so far, but it's going to knag at me until I fix it.

I just had to ride today, the weather was good for it and the trees are changing and my brain was being calm. So had to do it.

XLsior 10-08-2023 09:20 PM

Ok i just looked at the leak photo...its on the pushrod drain back side not the pressurized oil feed side...

which means the valves and rockers are still getting oil.

Though the leak is somewhat significant so you're on right path to repair...

Remember to backoff the valve adjustment screws prior to removing the 3 valve rocker assembly bolts..

As far as torque setting somewhere around 25ft pounds and under 30ft pounds...I say this as my particular torque wrench is a bit vague at the lower adjustment settings.

I go around krisskross/star pattern with 20ft pounds then adjust up to the 25ft* and do another round of tightening.

Also don't forget the washers...

4 inner head stud bolts and the 5th outer bolt witch locks into the cam follower shaft.

Zapkin 10-09-2023 01:10 AM

thanks guys. I will review all of this right before tearing into it. I think I got this. its fun. i mean, say what you want..its fun to wrench on these bikes.

bigdano711 10-09-2023 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapkin (Post 400318)
I bought a torque wrench and learned how to use it. I rode two hours today with no issues, but like I said I have to remove the tank to do the speedometer so I might as well do it all at the same time. Anyway, I rode out to two covered bridges (I don't really like them that much but they are a great excuse to get rural). here are a few pictures.

What a cool place for a "safety meeting". ;-)

Zapkin 10-10-2023 09:35 AM

Yes.. and Yes i did. and remember "safety is #1 priority"

Zapkin 10-29-2023 06:21 PM

Not sure if there is an interest. The current state of the hawk is this. running. occasional oil smell. almost 6000 units boys! really the only issues I've had with the bike are issues I created myself by being a newb and trying to fix stuff that wasn't broken.

buzz 10-29-2023 06:50 PM

Thats part of the fun. let the madness go on.

Zapkin 11-18-2023 06:42 PM

Current state of the Hawk

Took her out to Turkey Run Dam and took some pictures, made a video and did a perimeter search for evidence of Bigfoot. :)

Zapkin 11-18-2023 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took her out to Turkey Run Dam and took some pictures, made a video and did a perimeter search for evidence of Bigfoot. :)

Bill Hilly 11-18-2023 07:27 PM

Citizens Arrest!! Citizens Arrest!!! Can't you see ? It clearly says NOT to park in front of the gate ?

Zapkin 12-01-2023 10:04 AM

All i bought the Hawk for Christmas was a handlebar riser. I expect to be able to gain an additional 1.0 to 1.25 mph with this on the bike. I don't know why, but I do. :)

Do©Hawk 12-01-2023 04:29 PM

Might need to start a covered bridge thread. I have a couple within riding distance of my location.

buzz 12-01-2023 04:54 PM

Me too,theres a few around here.

flopsweat 12-01-2023 05:20 PM

Oh I know of at least one, if not too. Cheesy is about an hour closer to it than I, but I would 100% make a day out of getting that one photo for this one thread on this one forum.