ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Winter Project (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15387)

Weldangrind 12-22-2015 07:45 PM

That is sweet like sugar. I'd love a sedan version; even a quadraport.

cheesy 01-03-2016 04:14 PM

Almost there.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psps1ee0et.jpg

kohburn 01-04-2016 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 199897)
welding 20ga steel with 1/16th rod at 60 amps is like trying to weld it with a cutting torch....LOL...

:lmao:

yup, I tried doing some crazy stuff like that once. I picked up a china plasma cutter/stick/tig welder a while back and mostly tig weld now unless I'm in a hurry then I use my Clark mig welder (copy of a miller that when I bought it was about 1/3 the price of a miller)

if you are welding (especially filling a hole or gap) thin metal then using a brass/copper backing plate is really helpful. you can make one from old copper tubing http://www.ehow.com/how_4821642_weld...eld-spoon.html

cheesy 02-06-2016 12:16 PM

Warmed up enough to spend some time on the Toro today. I now have the 49 year old B&S completely apart. It is in decent shape for the most part. Not enough taper in the cylinder to warrant any work on it. Heck, didn't even need to use the ridge reamer. Did find some carbon build up on the exhaust valve seat that was probably the cause of the built in beer break. But that was it. I might sneak into the shop tomorrow and drop the block in the hot tank for a short while. No plans on watching the Stupor Bowl, anyway.

cheesy 02-13-2016 04:01 PM

Coldest day of the month and I was in the garage working on the B&S. :hmm:

The engine is 85% back together now. Valves lapped, quick pass in the bore with the cylinder hone, new seals and gaskets. It would be 100% together but I dropped the #@&%$*&&^# flywheel key. That bounced once and disappeared into another dimension.:grr:

SpudRider 02-13-2016 04:55 PM

I hate it when those little bits and pieces bounce through a wormhole into another dimension. :tdown:

willy dog 02-13-2016 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 204633)
I hate it when those little bits and pieces bounce through a wormhole into another dimension. :tdown:

when you watch it drop straight down on to a clean floor and poof it's gone

Weldangrind 02-14-2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 204627)
That bounced once and disappeared into another dimension.:grr:

If you find it, please see if my wife's car keys are there as well. They dropped into a parallel universe a few years ago.

cheesy 02-14-2016 03:43 PM

If I look real hard, maybe I can find my missing hair.:D

cheesy 02-21-2016 05:27 PM

Made a new key today and attempted to fit the coil. Alas, it's a dead parrot, er, coil.:ohno::D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

cheesy 02-25-2016 07:41 PM

New coil has arrived and I have no place to be this weekend.:clap:

Weldangrind 02-26-2016 11:08 AM

I hope that means you can actually get some wrench time. It rarely works out like that for me.

cheesy 02-28-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 205607)
I hope that means you can actually get some wrench time. It rarely works out like that for me.

Got some, but not what I wanted to do.

Mrs. C's Audi developed a mushy brake pedal and I spent the morning sorting it out. Found out last weekend that you can't bleed the brakes without pulling the wheels. So, I bit the bullet and bought myself a pressure bleeder. Good investment.:tup:

I was most pleased that I was able to loosen the bleeders that haven't been touched in fourteen years. No drama. Also, only a tiny bit of air in the system.:wtf: So, looks like it's time for a new MC.:doh:

I did get to try out the new Ingersoll-Rand impact I got for Christmas.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps0rdptmx3.jpg
Woo hoo. Tires will no longer laugh at me. They will fear me.

As I turn 60 in a few weeks, I think it's time for a pneumatic powered jack, too.:)

Weldangrind 02-28-2016 12:15 PM

I think a pneumatic jack is an excellent idea.

cheesy 03-01-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 205862)
I think a pneumatic jack is an excellent idea.

Not a pneumatic jack but it will fit under the Audi. And it was free with hotel points.:tup:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-BUL...J212/100637530.

SpudRider 03-01-2016 01:33 PM

Free is the best price. :tup:

Azhule 03-01-2016 01:52 PM

Make sure you keep a good "Air Tool Oil" around for that nice IR impact :)

(long story short) My dad had a bunch of 20+ year old (top of the line/name brand) air tools that barely worked... he thought it was his 10 year old air compressor and was about to go out and spend a few grand on a new air compressor and all the upgraded wiring/fuse box in the garage for it... add some air tool oil to them and all was well at the cost of 50 or so cents

Long(er) story...

Well I pull out a bottle of "Air Tool Oil/Lube" (B'laster brand <- link to their product/website) and ended up reviving them all by the end of lunch time... I just pulled the trigger and filled the tool with a good amount of oil (probably a *tablespoon or more worth in each tool) and put them down so they "stood up" at a slight angle to not leak any oil out or drain in any way and help fill all the nooks and crannies to clean/lube the parts. About 20 or so minutes later after we had lunch, we went back and attached the tools to the air compressor to clean the gunk/oil out (be prepared for a mist of oil :p)

Wish I got a pic of my dads face when he heard/seen the revived tools in action. His impact hammer that wouldn't remove a 15 ft lb torqued bolt was now zipping off 150+ ft lb axle nuts almost the second after you pulled the trigger :lmao:

Moral of this story 'children'... Spend the $4+ on a bottle of Air Tool Oil to clean/Lube your air tools... you only use a drop or so before and after use and it will save you big $ in the long run :D

*You won't need to use as much oil as I used, if you are just maintaining the tools, just a drop or 3 of air tool oil will do. :tup: Revival of tools is a different story :lol:

cheesy 03-01-2016 06:53 PM

^^^Good point. :tup:
23 years in the pneumatics industry during my first working life, so it's a habit in the garage at Chez Fromage. Still, when an air tool is pushing 50 years old(most of mine), it's probably about time to promote it to paperweight.;)

cheesy 03-07-2016 08:01 PM

MC for the Audi arrived late last week, still waiting on the jack. And nicer weather.

The MC swapout looks to be a piece o' cake. Two lines, two nuts, and it's off. One screw and off comes the reservoir. The pressure bleeder will make the install that much easier.

cheesy 03-12-2016 04:04 PM

Back home and the jack is here.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psf0tclx3s.jpg

So, it's here and I'm too tired to do anything about it, though. And it is supposed to rain tomorrow.

Bruce's 03-12-2016 05:11 PM

Doesn't that ingersol take grease ?all of mine do .

cheesy 03-13-2016 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce's (Post 207200)
Doesn't that ingersol take grease ?all of mine do .

Yup. 4cc in the nose every 48 hours of use. That translates into once every 5 years.;)

cheesy 03-17-2016 07:40 AM

Back to the Toro, we have spark. We do have spark.

Carb is back together and mounted on the tank. Just need to mount the tank, along with the shroud, and then I can get it back on the frame and pull the rope.

Weldangrind 03-27-2016 11:44 PM

Any further updates?

cheesy 08-20-2016 10:32 AM

I'm moving almost like a normal person again so back to work on the Toro.

Ever wish you never started on something the more you get into it. This falls into that category, but I've gone too far not to finish it.

Soooo, the last few major repairs are underway. Those are the steering that has about four inches of slop at the wheel and lots of sheet metal on the mower deck.

I might get half the slop out the steering, but that's probably it. I'll be welding thick half inch washers on the ends of the spindles where the tie rod passes through. Then Mcgyverin' bushings for the front wheels. The current bushings are married to the hubs and I'm afraid I'd ruin the wheels if I tried using a hydraulic press. So, I'm just chucking the wheels in the lathe at work and boring the bushings to take 3/4 x 5/8 x 1 oillite sleeves. The rest of the slop is in the steering mech and that's just a sheet metal frame that was never bushed, so it might not be worth the effort to fix.

Worn out parts have been the biggest issue with this project. Well, that, and the fact it was only built in 67 and 68, so there are NO Toro parts available.

I'll be busting nearly 50 year old Goodyears off the rims today. Sounds like all kinds of fun.

cheesy 08-20-2016 10:09 PM

Well, that was fun.:ohno:

The first wheel was a piece o' cake. The tire almost fell off the rim. It went down hill from there. Quickly. By the time I got to the last wheel, I had three bloody knuckles and put some nice dents in the front rims. :grr:Managed to get the dents 'mostly' hammered out. New tires are on order from TSC.

Mrs. C and I did go to a couple of estate sales today before I bloodied myself. I wanted to check out a go kart at one. It was $100 and complete but a bit too bent, so I walked. The other had lathes, mills, and oodles of other stuff that interested me. The machine tools were gone, save for one lathe, by the time I got there. The lathe was nice but larger that I liked and more than I wanted to spend. I did walk out with a 153cc Kawasaki OHV mower engine for $10, though. Nice back up for the Toro.

From there to HF for a couple of real tire irons. The rest you know.:hehe:

BTW, grandson #2 is in the process of clawing his way out. Will update when I get the word.:tup:

BlackBike 08-20-2016 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 228911)
Well, that was fun.:ohno:

The first wheel was a piece o' cake. The tire almost fell off the rim. It went down hill from there. Quickly. By the time I got to the last wheel, I had three bloody knuckles and put some nice dents in the front rims. :grr:Managed to get the dents 'mostly' hammered out. New tires are on order from TSC.

Mrs. C and I did go to a couple of estate sales today before I bloodied myself. I wanted to check out a go kart at one. It was $100 and complete but a bit too bent, so I walked. The other had lathes, mills, and oodles of other stuff that interested me. The machine tools were gone, save for one lathe, by the time I got there. The lathe was nice but larger that I liked and more than I wanted to spend. I did walk out with a 153cc Kawasaki OHV mower engine for $10, though. Nice back up for the Toro.

From there to HF for a couple of real tire irons. The rest you know.:hehe:

BTW, grandson #2 is in the process of clawing his way out. Will update when I get the word.:tup:

Cheese... what is the hp on the kaw engine. Kaw are awesome. Smooth running and sip gas. Wish I had on on my bush hog hs1836 inch ztr .(b&s 18hp still running strong)

Also I had a little wrestle mania last week with my 2 new kenda rear tires on the Bush hog. So nice to be able to run it back on low pressure when mowing. Makes for such a smoother ride. Had to keep the old 7 year old tires tight to keep them on the rims (shrunk and rotted rubber.)

cheesy 08-21-2016 07:36 AM

BB-I need to look into it more but I believe it's a K-series engine. 5 to 6 hp. The things I really know are that it was built in 96, has a 3/4" shaft, and it came off a JD mower.

The new grandson did make his grand entrance late last night. Pics and what not in a new thread later today after we get to meet him.

cheesy 08-21-2016 02:01 PM

Correction, not a K-series engine. It is an FV150V-ES00. That translates into a 153cc 6hp vertical shaft engine. Already downloaded the service manual, just in case.

BlackBike 08-21-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 228956)
Correction, not a K-series engine. It is an FV150V-ES00. That translates into a 153cc 6hp vertical shaft engine. Already downloaded the service manual, just in case.

Oh yes, the 6 hp, had 2 of them in the 90 's on black snapper commercial 21" mowers. Bent a crank on one of them (think it was steel rebar). $800 commercial walk behind mowers but sure cut many a ole ladys grass.

cheesy 08-22-2016 07:37 AM

I think Kaw will run without too much futzing. It's got a heck of a spark and plenty of compression, so I got air and fire. Just need fuel.

McMaster stuff will be here today, so if Eli gets to go home and start bonding with his little brother, I can get the steering wrapped up. There's a week to ten day wait on the tires, so I can finish up everything else while I'm waiting on those.

cheesy 08-24-2016 08:47 PM

Gah! Two nights of trying to mount tires that weren't suppose to be here yet and all I have to show for it is bloody knuckles. I think there is one of these in my future.
http://www.harborfreight.com/mini-ti...ger-61179.html

Weldangrind 08-25-2016 11:13 AM

Don't forget the coupon.

cheesy 08-25-2016 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 229455)
Don't forget the coupon.

Didn't have the coupon but Mrs. C told to me just go get it. And I follow orders.:hehe:

love-sites 08-25-2016 10:15 PM

So many

cheesy 08-26-2016 09:17 PM

Man, these tires are bee-atch to mount, even with the tire changer.:wtf: The problem seems to be the nearly 50 year old rims. The edges are straight, not rolled, and there isn't much of a drop center, so the tire is fighting me the entire time. At least I have two mounted. These took just a tad over an hour which is better than two nights with no success.

Weldangrind 08-27-2016 01:04 PM

Can you find cheap replacement rims that would be easier?

cheesy 08-27-2016 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 229651)
Can you find cheap replacement rims that would be easier?

If I have no luck this weekend, that will be the next the step. I can check where I've been getting the mini bike stuff.

Weldangrind 08-27-2016 06:53 PM

I bet TSC has them.

Bruce's 08-27-2016 07:03 PM

Probably northern tool and harbour freight as well .