ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Ride Reports (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   How cold is too cold? Poll, sorta. (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20327)

cheesy 12-03-2017 08:49 AM

50? That's mid May up here. And it was probably snowing in the morning. :)

culcune 12-03-2017 11:51 AM

We moved out of Chicago in August of 1979, the same year of the blizzard (that helped push us out). When we talk about it nowadays, and especially with friends (in sunny So. California), my mom insists there was snow on the ground until early June, LOL :lol:

Sharpy 12-03-2017 01:01 PM

As long as it's dry it's a good day to fly...

With the right gear that is.

cheesy 12-03-2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 270072)
We moved out of Chicago in August of 1979, the same year of the blizzard (that helped push us out). When we talk about it nowadays, and especially with friends (in sunny So. California), my mom insists there was snow on the ground until early June, LOL :lol:

It probably was. My very pregnant wife would waddle down to the end of our driveway to check for cars when I would back the Opel out. The snow piles on either side of the driveway reached up to the eaves on the garage.

pistolclass 12-03-2017 06:07 PM

I just mounted my snow plow on my dump truck. This is not a good sign for riding. Hopefully this year won't be like 2013, where in 24 hours we got 38 inches of snow!! For my metric friends, that is a meter.

Once the ground is white, no more bike for me. I have a Place in Dalton, NH, so now I'm starting to look for a sled.

Sullybiker 12-06-2017 03:47 PM

If it's not snowing or a day following rain, I've ridden down to 15F. It's tolerable with heated gloves and a decent jacket and pants. I can do my 40 minute commute in it without too much drama.

Today was 28F. 15-25 kind of feels similar. The hardest thing about the cold is starting the bike if it's been standing for more than a week. Takes a few cranks.

BlackBike 12-06-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sullybiker (Post 270253)
If it's not snowing or a day following rain, I've ridden down to 15F. It's tolerable with heated gloves and a decent jacket and pants. I can do my 40 minute commute in it without too much drama.

Today was 28F. 15-25 kind of feels similar. The hardest thing about the cold is starting the bike if it's been standing for more than a week. Takes a few cranks.

Cue up the iron man intro riff.:tup:

JerryHawk250 12-08-2017 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well no riding today. We got this white stuff falling from the sky. This very rare for South Louisiana. Its been cold and raining since Monday and i'm ready to get out the house. Been stuck inside way too long. Good news is it will clear up tomorrow and will be cold but sunny. Guess who is going riding? :yay:This guy.

katoranger 12-08-2017 11:34 AM

I always drew the line at freezing. Rode home once in sleet.

pistolclass 12-08-2017 12:13 PM

CT is expecting 3-7 inches of the white stuff.... See you guys in April.....

cheesy 12-08-2017 02:13 PM

My little sister, who grew up in Wisconsin and spent years in Wyoming, now lives in Louisiana. She was the only one to show up at work today. Her take was that such a small amount of snow wasn't worth worrying about.

She can be a smartass.

Azhule 12-08-2017 05:27 PM

I will say, it's too cold to ride when the outside temps (without windchill) is around 40 degrees F... wind speeds are easily in the 60+ mph range with gusts of 80+... a lot of ice patches and tumbleweeds the size of go-carts to battle also...

I would have usually layered up to go out for a nice ride to gaze at the scenery (actually have a sitter today for the kiddo) but I think I will say "it's too cold (and windy)" to ride :hehe:

JerryHawk250 12-08-2017 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 270358)
My little sister, who grew up in Wisconsin and spent years in Wyoming, now lives in Louisiana. She was the only one to show up at work today. Her take was that such a small amount of snow wasn't worth worrying about.

She can be a smartass.

What part of Louisiana she in? We are just not prepared for this kind of weather here. Most of the bridges and overpass are closed due to freezing.

cheesy 12-08-2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 270391)
What part of Louisiana she in? We are just not prepared for this kind of weather here. Most of the bridges and overpass are closed due to freezing.

Pineville. She said that her horse was happy to frolic around its' pasture in the white stuff.

Right now, though, my take on it is quite different. Umpteen flight delays and cancellations due to the weather in the southeast. I should have been home around 8:30pm CST. Now 11:00pm EST and still sitting on my butt in Charlotte.:wtf:

culcune 12-08-2017 11:30 PM

We were in the upper 40's yesterday early morning, and probably near the same today. People at work can't believe I rode, but then again, I have been riding for the last 5 years straight, so not sure why they are so surprised?! I mentioned it before, but have noticed how much different (and for the better) riding a scooter is as far as wind protection goes. I know it will get worse before it gets better, and I have not put on an extra layer yet, but that is coming.