Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2022, 03:18 PM   #1

Angry Clutch cable help pleeeaase

Ok so I have ordered 3 clutch cables now since mine snapped about a month ago and NONE FIT the last one I ordered @megadan had linked it to me and it was a direct replacement for the hawk 250 which is still too short I just want to know as I stupid and doing something wrong or what because no matter what I do it will not reach both ends to connect even if I adjust it to bottomed out at the clutch lever and by the shift arm I cannot figure out what to do and how to make it fit even tho it’s a direct factory replacement for the rod hawk 250

Old 11-13-2022, 03:43 PM   #2

In this situation pictures would help.
Is it coming up too short on the outer sheath (casing) ?, Or the actual inner cable?, Or both?. You still should have your old cable, did you hold the old, and new up next to one another, and notice any length difference? Are you routing the new cable exactly like the old ? I assume you have the but on the lower end of the cable run up as far as it can go, and the adjustment at the lever turned in. You may try unbolting the lever, and hooking the cable up on that end last, and then reinstalling the lever, but keep in mind that you need free play after final adjustment.

Old 11-13-2022, 03:54 PM   #3

It’s coming up too short on the inner cable the steel part is just barely too short even when the cable adjustments are shortened all the way. I have tried really everything but even if I try to take unbolt the shift arm or the attachment point for the cable and then reinstall it after the cable is installed it will have 0 room for free play or more than likely I wouldn’t even be able to reattach the shift arm or attachment point for the cable because there will be no room

Old 11-13-2022, 06:13 PM   #4

A quick question please. Does the clutch arm bolt onto a splined shaft from the clutch? If so why not mount cable with all adjuster slack turned in and remove the clutch arm and slip on the cable end, pull cable slack out and place the clutch arm on the splines, install pinch bolt and take out cable slack as needed for proper free play? Good luck. Megadan may be along soon.

Old 11-13-2022, 06:40 PM   #5

It seems like you are repeating a systematic installation error. No offense, but clutch cables come with sufficient inner cable length for the sleeve length.

Take a picture of the installed cable at the lever, and at the clutch side on the case. At this point, we need to see this to help you.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
It seems like you are repeating a systematic installation error. No offense, but clutch cables come with sufficient inner cable length for the sleeve length.

Take a picture of the installed cable at the lever, and at the clutch side on the case. At this point, we need to see this to help you.
It can’t be installation error I’ve installed clutch cables plenty of times there is literally not enough inner cable to reach I’ve tried everything including taking the shift arm off and reinstalling with cable already attached and there just isn’t enough cable it’s about an inch too short even with both adjustments all the way in to give it as much slack as possible…

Old 11-13-2022, 07:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryF11 View Post
It can’t be installation error I’ve installed clutch cables plenty of times there is literally not enough inner cable to reach I’ve tried everything including taking the shift arm off and reinstalling with cable already attached and there just isn’t enough cable it’s about an inch too short even with both adjustments all the way in to give it as much slack as possible…
Is there a way to remove the clutch lever on the casing, change it's position (a splined lever install?). I don't own a Hawk. Maybe it just needs to be moved. Otherwise...
Pics, please. I believe you, but this doesn't make sense.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:50 PM   #8

Angry

EDIT: (Shift arm=clutch arm idk why I keep saying shift arm lol..) I’ll try to get pics tomorrow I’m tired of even looking at the bike right now I just do not understand I tried a 48.8 inch cable, didn’t work…. Now a direct factory replacement (supposedly) and it still didn’t work.. absolutely nothing I do gives it enough room to reach the shift arm or the other way around if I attach it to the clutch lever it does not have enough room to reach the shift arm.. now granted the one that megadan linked me that I bought does have a different end of the outer cable where it connects to the adjustment screw at the clutch lever and it doesn’t seem to stay in there like the stock one. With that being said I took the adjustment screw at the clutch lever completely off and installed the cable that way because the end of the outer cable was perfect size to slide in the threads of where the adjustment screw went. That gave me the perfect amount of slack to install it on both ends.. BUT… after about a mile of riding with no issues it pulled the end in toward the clutch lever and I could no longer operate the clutch so that is no longer an option.. but the cable I was sent does seem to be designed to just stick in that hole and not the adjustment screw as it’s too small to fit snug in the adjustment screw like the stock cable. The outer cable length is the same as stock but the inner id assume is shorter by about 2.5 inches since I cannot reach both ends even with both adjustments closed all the way in for maximum cable slack. I paid $18 for the cable I bought and because of that end being the way it is I’m assuming that it is not the right cable even though it says “haosen rps hawk 250 replacement clutch cable”. I contacted the seller on eBay because the picture shows the regular cable end and not the weird one I was sent but I’ve had no reply :/ … anyways I’m lost no ideas other than to buy another cable which I’m ready about $60 in the hole just on cables maybe more.. ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION I used an angle grinder to grind the thickness of the little loop that the cable attaches to at the shift arm to half of its original thickness thinking that’ll bring it close enough to attach, while it did bring it closer it’s still about an inch and a half short so I have tried EVERYTHING…

Old 11-13-2022, 08:21 PM   #9

OK. You've dropped a clue:

"...now granted the one that megadan linked me that I bought does have a different end of the outer cable where it connects to the adjustment screw at the clutch lever and it doesn’t seem to stay in there like the stock one."

The Hawk has a standard adjustable nut on the lever. Not sure why you feel like it shouldn't. This also suggests that the lever isn't OEM.

Someone replaced the levers, maybe??

Quote:
I’ll try to get pics tomorrow I’m tired of even looking at the bike right now I just do not understand I tried a 48.8 inch cable, didn’t work…. Now a direct factory replacement (supposedly) and it still didn’t work.. absolutely nothing I do gives it enough room to reach the shift arm or the other way around if I attach it to the clutch lever it does not have enough room to reach the shift arm.. now granted the one that megadan linked me that I bought does have a different end of the outer cable where it connects to the adjustment screw at the clutch lever and it doesn’t seem to stay in there like the stock one. With that being said I took the adjustment screw at the clutch lever completely off and installed the cable that way because the end of the outer cable was perfect size to slide in the threads of where the adjustment screw went. That gave me the perfect amount of slack to install it on both ends.. BUT… after about a mile of riding with no issues it pulled the end in toward the clutch lever and I could no longer operate the clutch so that is no longer an option.. but the cable I was sent does seem to be designed to just stick in that hole and not the adjustment screw as it’s too small to fit snug in the adjustment screw like the stock cable. The outer cable length is the same as stock but the inner id assume is shorter by about 2.5 inches since I cannot reach both ends even with both adjustments closed all the way in for maximum cable slack. I paid $18 for the cable I bought and because of that end being the way it is I’m assuming that it is not the right cable even though it says “haosen rps hawk 250 replacement clutch cable”. I contacted the seller on eBay because the picture shows the regular cable end and not the weird one I was sent but I’ve had no reply :/ … anyways I’m lost no ideas other than to buy another cable which I’m ready about $60 in the hole just on cables maybe more.. ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION I used an angle grinder to grind the thickness of the little loop that the cable attaches to at the shift arm to half of its original thickness thinking that’ll bring it close enough to attach, while it did bring it closer it’s still about an inch and a half short so I have tried EVERYTHING…

Old 11-13-2022, 09:50 PM   #10

UPDATE: so it took about an hour and a half but using a pair of vice grips a hack saw and a flat head I was able to strip and remove some of the outside sheathing to give me more inner cable length and with that removed it now works perfect it’s able to be adjust at both ends and pulls the clutch super super smoothly the problem wasn’t the outside sheathing it was the inner cable being too short but removing the sheathing worked fine..

Old 11-14-2022, 04:25 AM   #11

Quote:
UPDATE: so it took about an hour and a half but using a pair of vice grips a hack saw and a flat head I was able to strip and remove some of the outside sheathing to give me more inner cable length and with that removed it now works perfect it’s able to be adjust at both ends and pulls the clutch super super smoothly the problem wasn’t the outside sheathing it was the inner cable being too short but removing the sheathing worked fine..
I would still love to see pictures of both ends. I linked that specific cable because another person verified they used it on their hawk without issue.

Now it is entirely possible that the seller on ebay is just selling generic clutch cables of similar overall length and the sleeves are different. I have run into that before. It would be nice to verify as much information as possible.

If you need to just order a CSC TT250 clutch cable next time around. I replaced my stock cable with one after it started fraying at the barrel end. If that one doesn't fit then you definitely have something non-standard going on.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-04-2024, 12:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I would still love to see pictures of both ends. I linked that specific cable because another person verified they used it on their hawk without issue.

Now it is entirely possible that the seller on ebay is just selling generic clutch cables of similar overall length and the sleeves are different. I have run into that before. It would be nice to verify as much information as possible.

If you need to just order a CSC TT250 clutch cable next time around. I replaced my stock cable with one after it started fraying at the barrel end. If that one doesn't fit then you definitely have something non-standard going on.
Old post… was having the same issue. Replaced the clutch lever assembly and attached it 1/2 to far towards the hand grip…!!!! Arrrg!